HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:39 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswag View Post
Yes going to be retractable but have to finish fuselage before I can do any fitting. Hope to be back on fuselage next week.
COOL I'LL BE WATCHING
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Man that's great I wish you the best of luck with it but it sounds like you have got it under controle but that's how you are.
Please don't forget my offer I think your the man for the job!

Bruce
Bruce, I've almost finished the modifications to my Mossie as well. I've redone the engine cowls using Peter's exhaust stacks and done the paint touch-ups as well. New decals and a final clear coat have been completed. I've offset the engines per Rob's recommendation and, once together, I'll do the C/L and sync the engines.
I'll be flying it without the landing doors as I still haven't figured out how to set them up (I'm waiting for your expertise )
I'll add pics in a week or so; as soon as I got it together.

Your work on this Mossie and the P-38 is really, really impressive !
bwigger is offline Find More Posts by bwigger
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
I am sitting here with a set of BT plans for the 81" Mosquito and a short kit from Bob Holman plans. Three of us in the local club are going to be each building the Mosquito this winter.

I am about half way through your build log and will be using it as reference as I build. Thanks so much for putting the time and effort into sharing your build.

With all the emphasis on keeping the tail light, can anyone tell me why I should go with the solid balsa elevator instead of building one up similar to the rudder?

We are planning to go electric with our planes and have talked about splitting the wing and using a wing tube to join through the fuselage. We would like to be able to remove a large top hatch and have the fuselage open between the wing halves to access gear and flight batteries.

Guess it's time to get started. It's a wet cool fall day, what could be better. Modelling always makes me look forward to winter.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.robinson View Post
I am sitting here with a set of BT plans for the 81" Mosquito and a short kit from Bob Holman plans. Three of us in the local club are going to be each building the Mosquito this winter.

I am about half way through your build log and will be using it as reference as I build. Thanks so much for putting the time and effort into sharing your build.

With all the emphasis on keeping the tail light, can anyone tell me why I should go with the solid balsa elevator instead of building one up similar to the rudder?

We are planning to go electric with our planes and have talked about splitting the wing and using a wing tube to join through the fuselage. We would like to be able to remove a large top hatch and have the fuselage open between the wing halves to access gear and flight batteries.

Guess it's time to get started. It's a wet cool fall day, what could be better. Modelling always makes me look forward to winter.

Ken
Alright Ken great to hear welcome on board the Bob Holman -
Brian Taylor Mossie building site, there is no reason I can think of why you cant build the ELV in pieces in fact sounds like a smart thing to do! I don't know why I didn't think about it myself I would make the main core 1/16" ply or really hard balsa and be sure to give your self some beef where the music wire is used and you should be fine.
There's plenty of room for the batteries in the bomb bay.
You say your going to split the wing in two check pages 10 -13 on my build for ideas
this is just the way I did it doesn't mean it's the only way and may not be the best way.
I hope you post your build here on RCG so I can see what you come up with or you can post here if you don't want your own thread if you do post it some where please let me know where I would like to follow along.

Good luck with your build Ken,

Bruce
Last edited by splinterz25; Sep 18, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Its gonnabite your ass!Hope you have an understanding partner as once you start!Your addicted!
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Using the bomb bay for batteries would work alright, but every time you need to replace batteries (once per flight), we would have to turn the plane upside down.

Thanks for the encouragement. Hope we have 3 in the air together next summer.

Ken
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
Putting in the nacelles would help put the CG more forward as well.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Ken,

Welcome to the home for the terminally insane, you will enjoy it imensley, mine took 3 1/2 years and it was nowhere as detailed as Bruce's but I learnt a lot and am pleased I built it, it is a real treat to fly.

There was a build in one of the Traplet UK magazines recently, Quiet and Electric Flight International over 3 issues where they electrified it successfully. These were November 2011, December 2011 and January 2012, see the back order link QEFI back issues as that may be of interest. I only looked through the articles in the newsagents as mine was not electric and was almost complete by then so I did not buy the magazines.

Peter.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,467 Posts
Were not all terminally insane here on this thread but it's fun building these planes as for how long it takes you well that's up to you and your skill set and time you have to put into your build.

Myself I'm in no hurry these planes give me something to do I can't get out and go hunting or fishing like I use to so I build planes.

So if your trying to have your plane ready for the spring you'll be very busy but it's possible to get it finished though, if you have all of your supplies at hand it will help and now you have several to look at to get ideas and help.

Have you picked witch plane you will build Sq. or from witch location it was station at?
There are a bunch of guys here now building and more will be starting up now that the weather has changed.

Bruce
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
We had thought about putting the batteries in the nacelles, but decided it would be too cramped with the retracts.

Bruce, as for squadron and markings one of the other builders has a particular favorite that he wants to build, so we will match. Working as three has its pro's and con's. Someone doing the research on markings, give someone else the time to source parts, etc., but agreeing on how to build something (like wing split, battery hatch) may cause some problems.

Ken
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:16 PM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Thanks for the link to the QEFI site. I checked it out, but backed out when I didn't know if it was the 81" version. There was no description. Too bad we can't buy electronic version and save the $15.00 shipping on top of the $30.00 for magazine. Has anyone seen the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
Ken,

Welcome to the home for the terminally insane, you will enjoy it imensley, mine took 3 1/2 years and it was nowhere as detailed as Bruce's but I learnt a lot and am pleased I built it, it is a real treat to fly.

There was a build in one of the Traplet UK magazines recently, Quiet and Electric Flight International over 3 issues where they electrified it successfully. These were November 2011, December 2011 and January 2012, see the back order link QEFI back issues as that may be of interest. I only looked through the articles in the newsagents as mine was not electric and was almost complete by then so I did not buy the magazines.

Peter.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.robinson View Post
Thanks for the link to the QEFI site. I checked it out, but backed out when I didn't know if it was the 81" version. There was no description. Too bad we can't buy electronic version and save the $15.00 shipping on top of the $30.00 for magazine. Has anyone seen the article?
It was the 81" version because I wondered about buying the magazine when I flicked through it in the newsagents wondering if it would have any useful bits and pieces but did not in the end as I had already completed my build bar a few final details.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
408 Posts
Ken - check out the models on www.mossie.org Lars Baeter built an electric version. He also did a build log on some website - can't remember which.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:35 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,467 Posts
Ken if you cut a hatch in the top of the mossie ... You had better make the bottom
(bomb bays ) solid and not usable that part of this build is the weakest point that's why I added the wing keel to reinforce where the two pieces of the wing come together.

And you will have do the same kind of a thing on the top w/ a split hatch and a spine of sorts holding it together there.

Rob had his fall off the sofa and that is where it broke it's VERY THIN there and you may think about making the stringers in that section from very hard balsa or spruce.

Hope this helps,

Bruce
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:22 AM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
Hi ken, I'm (slowly) building one of these for electric as well. I elected to put the batteries in the nacelles, there is plenty of room especially once you move the bulkhead forward to allow for the shorter motors, then with a hatch over the top of the nacelles and the esc behind the scale radiators you;re all sorted.

Good luck and welcome to the madness :-)
grahamj4 is online now Find More Posts by grahamj4