SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:59 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
We went through two Turnigy motors in Tom's PA 260 two years ago ... one of them came with the plane when we bought it from a friend ... before we decided that cheap motors were just too expensive. It is not to say that putting very small props on them and running them up to max RPMs in straight and level flight will have the same affect, but we have always sought the bigger prop option, and the cells, and the motor, to accommodate 3D and extreme aerobatic maneuvers.

In flying IMAC sequences, larger props provide more consistent velocity at all attitudes than smaller props, which is important in scoring, and bigger props provide more low RPM torque, and more airflow over control surfaces that are in full departure, so it has always been the direction we have gravitated.

To spin a 24x10 prop on our 50cc airframes between 85 and 88 inches, we went to a very expensive Hacker, but I feel in the long run that the investment will prove to be worth it, just like the Motrolfly has been with the 48 and 60. I actually have a NIB Turnigy that I bought two years ago but never mounted it on an airplane because I had virtually no faith that it would do what it was intended for, or last through any real extreme aerobatic flying for any amount of time. I don't like bashing products, but seeing this only reminds me how passive you really have to be with HK motors. The Plush, K-Force, and Superbrain ESC series, on the other hand, have been as good as, or better than, anything I have used on 48 to 60 size airframes.

I have enough trouble trying to keep from dumb-thumbing a great airframe into the ground, and I donít need any help from motors like this. If anyone is interested in paying the shipping, Iíd be happy to send this HK motor to you for free just to keep it from finding its way onto one of my airplanes in a weak moment, or to keep me from giving it to a club member and having to hear the dark stories from them later.
I'll take it, PM sent
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
You are going to really like those combos, way better than the sunnyskys
Flew my motorlfly's today. Not as much punch, power, or speed as the sunnysky motors, BUT the motrofly motors ran about 30 degrees COOLER, and at just about 7 or 8 amps less than the sunnysky motors.

I'm happy with them, as they'll allow me to fly hard during the hot summer months... but I think I'll miss the extra oomph I was getting from the sunnysky motor.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Wow that's the complete opposite that I had with the sunny sky 2820 800.

The things was a complete dog compared to the motroflys. You never were able to post rpms with yours, the rpms on mine were way low for power output.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
12x6 800 vs 13x6.5 600

The top speed of these two should be the same rite? My laser felt slower on 4s than my 5s mxs and extra.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:48 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,109 Posts
Quote:
12x6 800 vs 13x6.5 600

The top speed of these two should be the same rite? My laser felt slower on 4s than my 5s mxs and extra.
Speed will be a direct result of prop pitch and RPMs, and RPMs depend on volts, Kv, and Kv efficiency with the specific prop specs, and volts will vary over the course of the flight envelop. Probably more variables too, but that's why I always read RPMs and volts. It tells me everything I need to know.

If the 600 is a Motrolfly and the 800 is something else, then it's tough to even speculate.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:11 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,109 Posts
What was the verdicts of the Xoar 13x7 PJN on the 750Kv motor? Did we see data on this combo yet? looks like the L ratings are clear right through 10,000 RPMs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:03 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
What was the verdicts of the Xoar 13x7 PJN on the 750Kv motor? Did we see data on this combo yet? looks like the L ratings are clear right through 10,000 RPMs.
I'm interested also, as I'm looking for a little more oooomph out of my setup
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:59 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,109 Posts
I just did some digging and found this from past data. It is probably Steve's numbers:

8971 RPMs @ 79.8% KvE and 64A

I think I have one in prop box and if I do I'll try it on the 638Kv motor on 5S too. If angular momentum has anything to do with motor durability, which so far seems to be the case, then I should be in the clear. I was only getting 9540 RPMs with the 13x6.5e APC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:10 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,109 Posts
Yeah, Steve posted the numbers on the 48 Edge thread... Thanks, Steve.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:22 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Motrolfly DM2820
Kv: 600Kv
Prop: Xoar 13x7 PJN
Cells: 5S
RPM: 8800 RPM
Watts: 720W
Amps: 40A
Airspeed: 58.3 mph
Static Thrust: 2.81kg

These were my numbers
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:45 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,109 Posts
Quote:
Motrolfly DM2820
Kv: 600Kv
Prop: Xoar 13x7 PJN
Cells: 5S
RPM: 8800 RPM
Watts: 720W
Amps: 40A
Airspeed: 58.3 mph
Static Thrust: 2.81kg

These were my numbers
I've got them in my chart too... I'm going to try to add a column with the value for angular momentum if I can get the weights for the Xoar props like I have for the APC, and then publish the chart here. So far, I have 19 rows of data for Torque, Motrolfly, and the Sunny Sky on 12x6, 13x6.5, 13x7, 14x7, 14x8.5, and 15x6 prop sizes... from 600 to 820 Kv.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Thanks for the work Aero... these are helpful.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:38 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,109 Posts
I'm really glad to say that everyone here has contributed, and Steve and a few others put a few motors at risk to deliver some interesting data that begins to show where the edge of the envelop is, so we're all in this together here... but thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
I appreciate everyone making the effort. I have learned a lot
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Totally... I didn't mean to leave out all the people that have contributed to the testing. Thanks
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes