SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:03 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,476 Posts
Better than a good day at work

Hi Guys,

The weather was reasonably consistent through the day. We started flying 9:15ish, took several time-out breaks, and wrapped the day just after 3:00pm. There were more clouds than forecast, so the sun didn't shine through too often, and the winds didn't get radical. I flew with ballast for four rounds, and unballasted the other four rounds.

After the contest ended, the wind did pick up, and by the time that I got home to Golden, it was howling......we got lucky. I don't think that the temp reached the forecast 58*, but I didn't feel cold during the day. Seems to me that the best lift was in the first half of the contest, and in the later rounds you couldn't buy a bubble.

I thought that we would have eight pilots for the contest, but we had six, so the matrix got a bit goofy. Luckily, everyone did a good job of fixing their score cards, so that I knew what rounds they flew in to be able to have the correct correlation of flying/scoring Man-on-Man.

Congratulations:

Jon Padila_______100% 2015 F3K Team USA
Skip Miller_________97.26% American National Cross-Country champion & World Record holder
Dave Runyon_______93.88% The Great Waldo Pepper - TS contestant
John Jonke_________87.98% DLG Ranch Owner & TS contestant
Jim Monaco_________62.82% 2014 RMSA Club President
Bob Pederson________61.45% 2015 RMSA Club President

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. This was our last RMSA club contest for 2014 ... see you in March 2015
Launch-1 is online now Find More Posts by Launch-1
Last edited by Launch-1; Nov 22, 2014 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:21 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,155 Posts
Thanks Dave.
Afternoon rounds were a challenge.
Congrats Jon P and Skip great piloting.
F3KSCORER is easy peasy...
Too long til the next contest.
Bob, dang... sorry I stepped on your Snipe!
The guy that picked up the Blaster for next to nothing, join us next year!
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:52 PM
I'm in the inverted lift
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2006
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
Bob, dang... sorry I stepped on your Snipe!
Holly smokes....Them there are fight'n words...
racedouge1 is offline Find More Posts by racedouge1
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:56 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,155 Posts
I
THINK
we're
still
friends...
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:45 PM
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racedouge1 View Post
Holly smokes....Them there are fight'n words...
It wasn't Johns fault at all. I pushed a landing as far as I could and ended up stopping 6 feet in front of John just as he stepped off for one of his outrageous launches. He did a tremendous job of dancing over my Snipe, Denice would have been proud of his footwork. John ended up on his knees and flew the rest of the round that way. Only damage was the rudder getting knocked loose. Easy fix and I have 4 months to do it.

Sorry John.
Bob
Soarhead00 is offline Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:37 PM
I'm in the inverted lift
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2006
705 Posts
Oh...If that is all that happened to the snipe is the rudder falling off, Then Johns fancy foot work probably missed the snipe all together. Cause snipe tails fall off if you look at them the wrong way. Don't ask me how I know...
I'm glad to see no feelings were hurt at the contest...
racedouge1 is offline Find More Posts by racedouge1
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:42 AM
FLYSWA!
Joined Apr 2006
242 Posts
I was thinking about you guys out there all day as I was plowing around in an old 737-300. We were all flying airplanes but they could NOT be any more different!

It's strange how much fun RMSA F3K contests are. I gauge my personal freedom quotient by how many I can attend and one of my resolutions for 2015 is to attend more!

2015 is going to be cool. We've got our very own US F3K team member to cheer on and assist, if possible. And many thanks to Bob for stepping up as RMSA President and many also to Jim for all his hard work and making this new guy feel so welcome in an elite organization (did you guys know you're considered elite by the rest of the rc soaring world?).

Please share your winter projects!
ReidRoberts is offline Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:41 AM
Afflicted with DDD
Joined Mar 2006
1,400 Posts
Reid
Not so different...They both have wingtip pegs.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined Aug 2010
35 Posts
Sorry I missed it last weekend, but was out stalking the elusive X-mass tree with the family , found a good one too. But that puts me in the depths of "building Season", and am working on the new wing templates as we speak ! If I can figure out how, I will try to post some Pix as I progress on the " High Aspect Ratio Optimum Launch Design".
HB
HB DLG is offline Find More Posts by HB DLG
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
Afflicted with DDD
Joined Mar 2006
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB DLG View Post
Sorry I missed it last weekend, but was out stalking the elusive X-mass tree with the family , found a good one too. But that puts me in the depths of "building Season", and am working on the new wing templates as we speak ! If I can figure out how, I will try to post some Pix as I progress on the " High Aspect Ratio Optimum Launch Design".
HB
We missed you. RE your new wing, Hey, we could call it the "HAROLD"
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
I sink, therefore I am...
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2009
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB DLG View Post
HB
Have you settled on a design yet?
espe is offline Find More Posts by espe