Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:28 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
The Bix 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I have this same motor setting on my desk and am trying to figure out how to install it in my new Bix 2. Any ideas and if this has been covered forgive me.

DJ
FWIW-I ordered THIS motor (along with a few others for stock) to put in my Bix2. Of course, I chose them based on a couple of hours of research and guessing the AUW. One (or more) of them will give me a 1:1 (plus a little bit more). Time & testing will tell. I am using an PVC type motor mount so a 9" prop should be easy to handle.
AJ
Oh, BTW, I ordered 6 LiPo's, too. That means boats only and no airplanes for transportation. I hope to have everything ($479 of stuff) by Christmas of 2013.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 26, 2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
SARG5 here with another question.
If I want to forward one on the REPORT post. Like lets say #17071 to another person
outside of this Thread group. How do I do this.
From time to time there is great information that I would like to share with others .
I have tried to CLICK on the Report post. Which bring up this post by itself. Then go to the Email on my computer, send this on.
BUT THE PROBLEM is the just click on this REPORT item does not come up on the email as a JUST CLICK ON. It does show the www. post , but one has to take that info. and type in for the www. post.
Thanks
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,260 Posts
The report button has nothing to do with sharing information.. you use that if there is something offensive or otherwise inappropriate in the post.. i'm not sure i know what you mean here..

You can click on the post number, say yours is #17072, and it shows the single post. Then you could copy the URL and share it like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=17072
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
SARG5 here with another question.
If I want to forward one on the REPORT post. Like lets say #17071 to another person
outside of this Thread group. How do I do this.
From time to time there is great information that I would like to share with others .
I have tried to CLICK on the Report post. Which bring up this post by itself. Then go to the Email on my computer, send this on.
BUT THE PROBLEM is the just click on this REPORT item does not come up on the email as a JUST CLICK ON. It does show the www. post , but one has to take that info. and type in for the www. post.
Thanks
SARG5
nightfox7 gave the best answer, IMO. But, here is another way to do it if you want:
1. Simply press the "QUOTE" button of the post that you want to copy.
2. Click anywhere inside the post and press Ctrl-A on your keyboard (that copies the whole post)
3. Go to the forum that you want to post it into.
4. Press the "Post Reply" button (lower left of your screen).
5. Click anywhere inside the new post and press Ctrl-V and the whole message with be copied into the new reply.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 26, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
Here is the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=132

I used a hair dryer to soften the glue and slowly prised plastic mount back and forth. Mine came out nice and easy but some others seem to be glued in well. The 2826/6 2200kv with a 7x4 turned Bix 2 into a rocket. I wasn't happy with the BIx 2 (ordered another Bix 1) The Bix 2 will be gifted to my father as his first RC plane.
Gim, THANK YOU! soooooo much. I was able to do just what you show in the pics you sent . I've got a Turnigy 25 amp ESC is that big enough? Gim, it looks there is no pitch left, right or up and down is that what you found? I haven't glued it in yet.

Thanks again,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Gim, THANK YOU! soooooo much. I was able to do just what you show in the pics you sent . I've got a Turnigy 25 amp ESC is that big enough? Gim, it looks there is no pitch left, right or up and down is that what you found? I haven't glued it in yet.

Thanks again,
DJ
No. You should use at least a 30A (using a 6x4E prop) and preferrably a 40A if you plan to use a 7x4E prop.
You can use your 25A ESC, IF...... you use a 5x5E prop or 6x3E prop. If you use anything larger, you might have a flamer. Ask me how I know.
AJ
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Darn it. I pretty much have to give you the same non-answer that I gave you once before (I think). Since I don't own a Bix2, any information that I gave you would be just an experiencial guess based on the Sky Surfers that I own. If you are referring to the D2826-6 2200Kv from HK (I own 2 of them), I know it works great on a Bix1 or SkyS v1-v4. FWIW, since I started this thread, I feel obligated to buy a couple (2 is better) so I can answer some questions from you and others. Right now, I just ordered one (about 15 minutes ago). So, if someone else has some experience to share, it would be appreciated. For you and the rest of us that are interested. Meanwhile, if you are patient, I will share the information on any/all motors that I use in that plane. If not, I am sure you have read the same basic opinion that most of the owners have -> It is underpowered with the current motor. I am sure that the advertised weight probably does not include the weight of the lipo or other stuff. Maybe some kind soul will post the "real" AUW of their Bix2 plane. I hope all these bits of info are somehow useful to you.
AJ
AJ

If you provide a report of all 100 of your motors I believe you will hit a goal of a thread that has the most pages.

All kidding aside. Having you and others provide first hand experience with hardware is a great way to find the right part without draining your wallet. Keep up the great work.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
No. You should use at least a 30A (using a 6x4E prop) and preferrably a 40A if you plan to use a 7x4E prop.
You can use your 25A ESC, IF...... you use a 5x5E prop or 6x3E prop. If you use anything larger, you might have a flamer. Ask me how I know.
AJ
AJ, one of the guys quit the sport and I bought some stuff from him. I got a 60A ESC can I use that? Or is it too big.

Thank you for calling the troops to help me thru doing this,
DJ
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:34 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
AJ, one of the guys quit the sport and I bought some stuff from him. I got a 60A ESC can I use that? Or is it too big.

Thank you for calling the troops to help me thru doing this,
DJ
Short answer - YES. Easily.
FWIW. As a guideline, I always use an ESC rated at 10A larger than the largest current that the system (read mostly motor) is going to use. Many, (way too many) folks get themselves into big trouble by using an ESC that is too small for their system. It is easy to dupe oneself into believing it is ok because.... after all.... the motor sounds just fine. I distinctly remembered the day that plane (parts shown earlier) caught fire (literally) in the air. It was as quiet as any electric plane. It just a scant few seconds of smoke that I saw, then, fire, then, only one servo was salvaged from the entire plane. And, your might ask, whose fault was that.....??? Well, mine. I was using a 25A ESC and the system was pulling 32A. That is actually all fine and well as long as I stayed below 2/3 throttle. But, at WOT, after 30-40 seconds, the fire started and the plane was totally toast (except one servo). From that day forward, I never and I mean NEVER use an ESC that is less than 10A over the max. Kissing $100+ goodbye kinda puts a sour taste in my mouth along with the humiliation that I know better that to let something like that happen. Ok.... That's it. I am getting off my soapbox now. Thanks for the props.
AJ
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Well gents I got my MicroDan today and things start getting to pi*^%*ing me off LOL

The pro hole is too large to fit the shaft the insert ring hole is too large for the shaft
I managed to find another 3mm safety prop mount but the prop get too wobbly on it :-(
( as a note, prop came in perfectly balanced)
so now I have to order prop adapter for 3 mm shaft, another delay :-(
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Short answer - YES. Easily.
FWIW. As a guideline, I always use an ESC rated at 10A larger than the largest current that the system (read mostly motor) is going to use. Many, (way too many) folks get themselves into big trouble by using an ESC that is too small for their system. It is easy to dupe oneself into believing it is ok because.... after all.... the motor sounds just fine. I distinctly remembered the day that plane (parts shown earlier) caught fire (literally) in the air. It was as quiet as any electric plane. It just a scant few seconds of smoke that I saw, then, fire, then, only one servo was salvaged from the entire plane. And, your might ask, whose fault was that.....??? Well, mine. I was using a 25A ESC and the system was pulling 32A. That is actually all fine and well as long as I stayed below 2/3 throttle. But, at WOT, after 30-40 seconds, the fire started and the plane was totally toast (except one servo). From that day forward, I never and I mean NEVER use an ESC that is less than 10A over the max. Kissing $100+ goodbye kinda puts a sour taste in my mouth along with the humiliation that I know better that to let something like that happen. Ok.... That's it. I am getting off my soapbox now. Thanks for the props.
AJ
Thanks AJ I'll use this 60A ESC. I think I've got it; If you get a big motor get a bigger ESC.

Your a Prince AJ,
DJ
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Well gents I got my MicroDan today and things start getting to pi*^%*ing me off LOL

The pro hole is too large to fit the shaft the insert ring hole is too large for the shaft
I managed to find another 3mm safety prop mount but the prop get too wobbly on it :-(
( as a note, prop came in perfectly balanced)
so now I have to order prop adapter for 3 mm shaft, another delay :-(
Your post jogged my memory to make sure and share some information with you. I am assuming that you are going to use a 40A or better ESC. In any case, whatever ESC you choose, make sure you set the timing to HIGH. The MD motor will spit and hiccup and get very warm. But, it will NOT start with anything other than a HIGH timing setting. Prof100 and I both found this out about the same time. Maybe you go some documentation with yours (that would be nice) and you have already read about this. Certainly, Dan knows about it and it would certainly be in his best interest to inform ALL buyers of this little requirement. Now, you know. Oh, BTW, I suggest you use a 6x3E to start with just to make absolutely certain that the motor is not getting hot (or even warm - this motor runs only at tepid mostly). During the intitial testing of your motor, you will want to keep a close monitoring of the heat that is present. Heat will DESTROY magnets and make a very, very fine motor junk. Ask me how I know.
AJ
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
That's why they tell you to order a servo reverser as well as the extra servos. The alternative is to rewire the inside wires of one of the servos. Four wires to be resoldered. There is a video somewhere showing how it is done.
Hi,Try 16762.Very detailed info.Good luck,Gerhard 807gt.
807gt is offline Find More Posts by 807gt
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Servo reversing

.....And............. Here is that video again:

How to reverse a servo (8 min 38 sec)

AJ
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
309 Posts
I'm ordering a bixler and am reading that I should replace the control horns with Dubro 1/2A #107. Can someone confirm that this is a good horn to use? Are there "snap on" alternatives such as the ones provided with the Axn Clouds, so screws aren't needed?

Also, which size clevis should I get, and can they be placed on the original control rods that ship with the bixler kit?

Finally, I have a RCtimer 2826-6 2200kv motor that I intend to use. What would be a good motor mount?

Thanks!
Zangetsu57 is online now Find More Posts by Zangetsu57