HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:33 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Yippee!
Re-Light That FIRE!

There wont be anything "Amazing" to this thread, its just a personal story to share on re-lighting my slope flying!

I havent hit the slopes in hummm 6 months or more at a guess, i have been really into my AP and FPV recently. Still always sat in my workshop at the back is my 10 year old (or more) epp bullet...

Yes yes i know mock me for keeping hold of it, but it was the first Rc aircraft for the slopes i brought when i started flying, i taught myself how to fly with this you know

So if you live in the United Kingdom like myself, you would have noticed the weather has been utter crap! Real Crap, and chances of getting any time on the sticks has been hard!

I have had a crap week, problems over bad news over problems, you have had them weeks before im sure...

So i finished work at Noon today, i got home bored and down, i decided i had to get in my workshop, i use this as my escape....

Being bored i could not be bothered to fire up the CNC machine to finish off a pan and tilt set up im working on so i sat there on my tod with no motivation!

There she was, looking at me waiting quietly, for all these years.....for her moment again....in silence....

Ah my epp bullet, she still looks beautiful!

She still has her original servos in so i quickly put in a RX and luckly a 4cell pack that was freshly charged the night before for bench tests...fitted like a glove.........

Got the dog, put my TX in my backpack along with my new wind direction indicator (bandage tied to the top )

Quick check of the weather forcast 10mp NE, i know just the place where i can get away from it all... and by memory the wind should be perfect for the face!

Off We goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Unload the dog and Bullet...

Start the walk......

And here we are, ready to go (i never even bothered to check the C/G)

Quick check of the wind direction again, with the new add on

Perfect...

The C/G was a tad back, she was a little twitchy but still easy to fly, it only took me a few passes to gain back the idea of flying at a slope again For example, with an engine you just pull up, but you have to ride the lift!

Such great fun, i had totaly forgot about my pants week im having!

I was up for a good 2 hours, i felt recharged, energized and excited to fly flying on nothing but mother natures breath!

I had a common buzzard stay in formation with me for about 30 seconds to check me out and just as i was thinking of coming in, a kestral dived from no where and hit this pidgeion at mach2 about 30 meters to my right - wow what a sound that made, it scared the dog too!

Me and roxy had a drink and come home

What a great afternoon i have had, me, mother nature, roxy, a common buzzard and a kestral....

I have really sparked my fire back up....

I guess my whole point of this is to remind you if you have forgotten how beautiful it is out there and how recharged you feel...

Take care all

I hope you enjoyed my read

Ben
QUIKSILVER is offline Find More Posts by QUIKSILVER
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:49 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Great story!
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Thanks Reed!

I know i dont fly like the big boys, or have big boys toys but it so peacful
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,239 Posts
excellent story

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:10 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Quiksilver
Just been out to the garage to retrieve my much abused Ridge Runt.....probably an evening and a bit to get her ready to go.....
Now look what you've made me do.

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:45 PM
Baldwin Park, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
120 Posts
Great story, nice pics, glad you had a wonderful day.

The pidgeon's day on the other hand...
Crewl1 is offline Find More Posts by Crewl1
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:54 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Do it Gee, you will giggle like a kid again

Funny enough theres a man local to that place who has racing pidgeion's opps!

Ah well, if he was a real racer he would of out flown that kestral
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:14 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Good reszult mate. A great way to chill.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
AKA RustyKnee
Dorset, UK
Joined Dec 2006
318 Posts
hehe excellent story.

Great looking dog too. I have a small lurcher, but I don't think is glider friendly . plus if he was ignoring the glider he would be off chasing rabbits across the country miles away before I knew it if I didn't keep an eye on him.

saying that I have just put one of the loc8tors on his harness, and the other in my big glider . not that I want to test it in practice for either beast.

Stu
Stuart B is offline Find More Posts by Stuart B
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
Its not IF... Its WHEN.
West Yorks
Joined Feb 2007
1,110 Posts
Nice one Ben

Glad you enjoyed it

Tim
The.Timinator is online now Find More Posts by The.Timinator
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:28 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Thanks guys

No she aint glider friendly either

she does wonder off for 10 mins and when i look for her over the edge she half way down sat down watching like a tennis ball going over the net in a rally

maybe this might turn into something? get your old birds and and give them a go?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:32 PM
AKA RustyKnee
Dorset, UK
Joined Dec 2006
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKSILVER
Thanks guys

No she aint glider friendly either

she does wonder off for 10 mins and when i look for her over the edge she half way down sat down watching like a tennis ball going over the net in a rally

maybe this might turn into something? get your old birds and and give them a go?
great! yeah I might have to dig a wing out and see what he does. will wait for the weather to cool a bit though, he'll run after a tennis ball till he drops....I imagine gliders would be the same

Stu
Stuart B is offline Find More Posts by Stuart B
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:03 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
yes defo, i took her bowl in my back pack and brought a fresh bottle of water for her too!

she lays in the grass to cool dowm im sure! its great to see them run around!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Just got back from another afternoon fly!

Im taking full advantage of this lush sun shine as 10mph NE winds!

I also found my self a huge thermal that i had fun in, but totaly forgot about the sink!

i was 400-450ft high quite far out and the sink hit me, i tried to get back with the wind behind me, but i could only get up about 50ft of the slope, doh not enough to get back up!

i knew i was low as i could see my shadow on the field below!

still cant win them all, got me out for some exercize!

good fun!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,923 Posts
Oh yeah---there's just nothin quite like sloping!!! You've got a nice site there too!! Nice grass--with the dog--yer favorite brew too!! Just doesn't get much better. Nice reminder!!!
T
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig