New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by bunkai
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Hey Marko

Weather has been terrible this summer here and last weekend was no exception, too windy so was only able to break in the motor, put a few tanks through it on the stand.
The 'experts' in our club were on hand and gave the plane the once over, tweaked a few things and programmed the flaps properly.

So in other words, still waiting for the weather to cooperate, this weekend looks like it will be just as windy so will have to be patient.

Rob
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2015, 01:45 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Had a successful maiden yesterday.

Went perfectly - 1st flight to trim out - minor on ailerons -cg was bang on.

2nd flight put it through it's paces full throttle - again went perfectly. Only thing I'd like to change is a larger fuel tank. With the 55 on it it gobbles up fuel a bit too quickly and I'd like to extend the flight time a little more.

Didn't require flaps at all.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by rcflyinff
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Mar 2012
793 Posts
Congrats on the maiden! Mines 1.5yrs in the making. The fuselage is done, just need to make time to build the wings. Any video of the maiden? Enjoy!
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 28, 2015, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by rcwings
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
Had a successful maiden yesterday.

Went perfectly - 1st flight to trim out - minor on ailerons -cg was bang on.

2nd flight put it through it's paces full throttle - again went perfectly. Only thing I'd like to change is a larger fuel tank. With the 55 on it it gobbles up fuel a bit too quickly and I'd like to extend the flight time a little more.

Didn't require flaps at all.
Hey congrats Rob!!! See you actually beat me to the sky with this model. If you recall you thought I would "blow past you" on the build....LOL.

Don't be too quick to stuff a bigger tank in there yet! As the OS breaks in and you are able to lean it out more, it may use much less fuel. A couple of the new AX versions I have seen at the local field seem to really be easy on fuel, so hopefully your 55 may get better in time as well. With some throttle management (provided you do not need to be full bore pylon style wide open) you may be surprised on how little it will use. If not, then shove in a bigger tank and have fun for a little longer.

Glad to hear all went well on the maiden!

Marko
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Sep 29, 2015, 09:26 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Thanks Marko

The 55 manual recommends a 12-14 oz tank I've got a 10 not sure I could fit something larger in there.
I hope to get a bit more time as it leans out, I really like this motor.
It has a tremendous amount of power for this plane I'm not speed guy so definitely will not be going full out or at least will be picking my spots.

No video RCfly but maybe this weekend, I procrastinated 3 1/2 years on this build so 1 1/2 is not so bad
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by rcwings
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
Thanks Marko

The 55 manual recommends a 12-14 oz tank I've got a 10 not sure I could fit something larger in there.
I hope to get a bit more time as it leans out, I really like this motor.
It has a tremendous amount of power for this plane I'm not speed guy so definitely will not be going full out or at least will be picking my spots.

No video RCfly but maybe this weekend, I procrastinated 3 1/2 years on this build so 1 1/2 is not so bad
Rob,

I just checked what I bought to go in mine and it is an 11oz Sullivan. Pretty sure it will fit, but can't really say as it is still in the bag. Will check to see how much room is available when I have a chance to remove the cowl. I was planning on using a .58 four stroke, which should use less fuel, so I think I am fine for capacity. Looking at the plans there seems to be room for something larger. There are many different types of tanks on the market in various shapes, so should be easy to find something that fits if you do need to replace your existing tank with something larger.

I have a few tanks kicking around, and will check what is the largest I can squeeze in. Will try on weekend to inspect...you have me curious now!!!

Marko
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Sep 30, 2015, 01:28 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Marko,

From what I can see the length is tight, the tank could be taller and wider.

Rob
Old Oct 01, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by Hookdriver
rotorhead....
United States, GA, McDonough
Joined Feb 2008
180 Posts
So I may get kicked out of the thread

Ok guys I decided to lighten my airframe to electrify it. The plywood fuselage in an incoplete state weighs 8.95 oz. I went to the local overpriced craft store and picked up some light weight quarter inch balsa. Used my rockwell saw to cut it into 1/4 square sticks. Laid everything out over the plans and built the fuselage sides on top of each other. Everything was glued with ca and then all joints have been coated with non foaming gorilla glue for flexibility . I made up templates to hot wire foam cores out for the wings.

That is why I say i might end up getting walking papers from you guy. Not a whole lot of the original kit is going to be used. I would be stoked to get this thing done under two pounds but I dont think that is realistic. We will see. Gonna keep posting up here until you guys tell me not to. After all it is the greatplanes plans and plastic I am using.

Josh
Hookdriver is offline Find More Posts by Hookdriver
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by MikeJM
United States, MN, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2013
58 Posts
I electrified mine

And I really didn't change the build other than providing access an hatch for the battery.

I put a RimFire .46 in her with a Graupner Propeller 3-Blade E-Prop 10x5, running a 5s 5000 for a 6-7min flight.

Here is the result.:

Rv4 (5 min 10 sec)

Mike
MikeJM is offline Find More Posts by MikeJM
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by Savad
Russia, Moscow, Moskva
Joined Nov 2015
1 Posts
RV-4 maiden

Hi! At last I maidened my RV-4. Left wheel departed at take off, though no damage at landing. Should have used thread lock! Thanks!

Great Planes RV-4 0.46 KIT + Saito FG11. Construction and maiden flight (4 min 10 sec)
Savad is offline Find More Posts by Savad