Old Feb 02, 2016, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by pedalmasher
Joined Jan 2016
196 Posts
Discussion
Repair question about my e-Flite T-28

Crashed on my maiden flight today - trying to fly too far away from other traffic and lost orientation. Took about an hour to locate it probably half a mile away. Amazingly, didn't even break the prop. Currently under repair but I have one issue that I cannot figure out:

When I hook everything back up (glue currently drying on various parts), with all the control surfaces centered. When I power up, it goes to putting in some left aileron - the right aileron stays in trim lined up with the wing. Nothing seems bent - the horn and clevis and control rod look normal, but damn sure am not going to be able to fly it like that. The servos and still seemingly securely under the tape that covers them. Only apparent damage to wing was a bit of scrape on one edge. Any thoughts?
pedalmasher is offline Find More Posts by pedalmasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2016, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Perpetual Noob
United States, NC, Arden
Joined May 2015
972 Posts
First thing, check the trim on the radio. If the trim fixes it, great.

Next I would power up the plane without having the radio powered just to see where the servos center. Adjust the linkages/control horns so the surfaces are centered and then rebind. If the aileron is off again, it's in your radio.
BoxCar31 is online now Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Old Feb 02, 2016, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2016
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31 View Post
First thing, check the trim on the radio. If the trim fixes it, great.

Next I would power up the plane without having the radio powered just to see where the servos center. Adjust the linkages/control horns so the surfaces are centered and then rebind. If the aileron is off again, it's in your radio.
Tried the electric trim, but it is incapable of fully returning the left aileron to neutral. With no power, I centered the left aileron to zero trim and then with the transmitter off, I attached the battery. When I do so, the left aileron immediately goes up - all other controls including the right aileron remain in neutral trim.
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by Chipped Rotor
Blythewood, SC
Joined Dec 2003
232 Posts
Hey pm, try swapping the aileron servo wires at the rx, if the problem moves with the swap it's the servo or broken servo teeth.
Chipped Rotor is online now Find More Posts by Chipped Rotor
Old Feb 03, 2016, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
278 Posts
I have had this happen. Most likely either the gears are stripped in the servo or the impact of the crash damaged the servo motor or board.
Probably stripped gears. Remove the servo and take the cover off to find out.
The gear that usually strip/breaks is the one directly under the main gear that the servo arm mounts on.
MX48 is online now Find More Posts by MX48
Old Feb 03, 2016, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2016
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
I have had this happen. Most likely either the gears are stripped in the servo or the impact of the crash damaged the servo motor or board.
Probably stripped gears. Remove the servo and take the cover off to find out.
The gear that usually strip/breaks is the one directly under the main gear that the servo arm mounts on.
I'm convinced its the servo now and Hobby Zone is sending me a new (free) one and that should solve the issue.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
278 Posts
If it is a broken gear you can buy a gear replacement kit http://www.horizonhobby.com/servo-ge...-5w%29-pkz1062
and you will have a backup servo.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 10:13 AM
Joined Jan 2016
196 Posts
Quote:
If it is a broken gear you can buy a gear replacement kit http://www.horizonhobby.com/servo-ge...-5w%29-pkz1062
and you will have a backup servo.
Cool, thanks - trying to get up my courage to tear into removing that servo without causing more damage. Seems to be cemented in their rather securely. Wish I had some experience working with this stuff.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
278 Posts
Put a screwdriver under it and gently pry it up. If you start to damage the foam then see if you can get at it from another angle. I have replaced both the aileron servos with DSV130's. It's not difficult just take your time so as not to damage anything.
Of course in your case the servo has to come out since it is not working.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2016
196 Posts
Quote:
Put a screwdriver under it and gently pry it up. If you start to damage the foam then see if you can get at it from another angle. I have replaced both the aileron servos with DSV130's. It's not difficult just take your time so as not to damage anything.
Of course in your case the servo has to come out since it is not working.
Just out of curiosity, I want to know what I am going to find. Does the wire that attaches to the servo actually reside in the servo and come out the side, or does that wire simply attach to the servo with a connector? If it comes from the servo does it run all along the bottom of the wing and attach directly to the receiver or do those wires that attach to the receiver also attach somehow to the servo wire with a connector. What is the setup? Thanks.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by MX48
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
278 Posts
one wire from the servo to the receiver. Wire goes inside the servo, no connector.
Once you get everything apart it will become clear. As I said just take your time and shouldn't be any problems.
Old Feb 03, 2016, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2016
196 Posts
Quote:
one wire from the servo to the receiver. Wire goes inside the servo, no connector.
Once you get everything apart it will become clear. As I said just take your time and shouldn't be any problems.
Great, thanks!