Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by grrttmyers
"Shoulda boughta volkswagen"
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
Build Log
KI-84 pss rebirth... my official first pss...thanks OCSS guys

Here she is... KI-84. Ain't she a beauty! This will be my first official pss ship and also my first build log on the groups. I know she looks like hell now but I'm pretty sure I've got the skills to get the job done. And if I can't figure it out I've got an awesome group of guys out there to call upon for their wisdom.....wanna say thanks to steeg for all the great stuff youve given me and for keeping me busy building & learning...and thanks to Rubio for keeping this ol girl safe through the years and passing it down the line, I haven't known you for long but your a rad dude in my book.....I don't know how far this bird goes back so let me know guys, I'm super excited to know the entire story behind this baby
grrttmyers is online now Find More Posts by grrttmyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
inspection

Opened her up and pulled out the 1 pound receiver along with all of the bullets shoved in the nose..... rat nest had to come out first though haha. I tried looking for a date on the newspaper that was shoved down in there but couldn't find anything.... I've pulled some crazy stuff out of some of the planes I've got from you steve (in the form of weight) but never pulled out any bullets until now! Who built this thing originally guys???

Servo tray is broken loose also and I'm thinking there's enough room in the fuse for a 2 servo wing setup so I'll probably scrap the one that's in it. Servos are busted anyway. Still kinda going over ideas in my head about what to do with the tail surfaces and wing, hmmmmmmmm. ........
Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by 67econoline
Time...use it wisely
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
8,636 Posts
Marco built it. He is an old friend of Dutchy's. One of the original fliers from Fermin and bluff cove. I think it was the maiden at the high speed site of Cajon.
It went over and didn't respond. Marco was so pissed he threw his transmitter off next...

I think it was 2007But I could be wrong. It stayed on the hill under a bush till I went to find my zero in 2014.

Brian told me it was Marcos plane and the fest of the tale. Brian gave me the plane by default. I think I heard rest of the tale from the Amigos. I met Marco last year with John Phan. He is a colorful guy. I don't find the bullets that shocking after meeting him.

The plane sat on my porch for a long time. I wasnt going to fix it so I passed it to Steeg. I don't have the space. Planes are taking over my small place.

As for the repair. I would trash the wings and tails and start over that wood is long gone. Save the fuse and start there. The linkage all needs to be replaced.

Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Last edited by 67econoline; Aug 04, 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by TFLG
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,593 Posts
That thing was build by Marco (former Fermin flyer that now lives in the bay area). I think it was it's first flight at Cajon when he crashed it. He actually chucked the transmitter off the hill too. The plane was lost for years (nearly 10 I think) before Rubio came up the hill with it this year. Good thing too otherwise the fire would probably have gotten it. There are at least another 3 planes down there still. Carl's Slopestream, A large 60" span Me-109 and a Tucano. I wonder if the fire got any of those? Do the servos still work?
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 04, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by MaartenX
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Joined Mar 2012
1,451 Posts
Wow that is some project. Hell of a story too....
The worst I had to repair looked like this. And some people thought I was crazy to repair it because it looked like a bin job.

You beat me by a country mile.

I would follow Rubio's advice and ditch the wing, save the fuse and build new wings.

Good luck with the repair!

Maarten
MaartenX is offline Find More Posts by MaartenX
Old Aug 04, 2015, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by steeg
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
948 Posts
garrets a great builder.i cant wait to see this plane when its done
steve
steeg is online now Find More Posts by steeg
Old Aug 04, 2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by bluffman
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
3,745 Posts
Ditch everything but the fuse keep it simple and Jo with a single aileron servo, it gets tight in a hurry. Good luck with your project and keep the pictures coming. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Aug 05, 2015, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
Busted off the wings and tale yesterday afternoon.... came off pretty easy.... i think sitting out in the sun for all those years did some work on the resin. Almost wondering if It needs a fresh coat... feels a little dried out and brittle in a few spots

Later last night I got the drill out with the sander wheel and ground off most of the fillits.... made easy work!!... took just a lil hand sanding to get the rest of the bondo off.... gonna get the rest sanded down later today for a full assessment. ...

I was hoping to save the vertical but I'm afraid it's gotta go as well.... no biggie
Old Aug 05, 2015, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by timmig
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
7,414 Posts
That thing is so "Baked" that it would be much better just starting with a fresh fuse!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Aug 05, 2015, 01:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig View Post
That thing is so "Baked" that it would be much better just starting with a fresh fuse!!
Hahaha! Ya maybe on your budget but not mine.
Old Aug 05, 2015, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Pilot Error
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,633 Posts
I had one of these that I think TFLG built and it kicked butt. Probably the only true Fermin plane I've ever owned, and it flew like it should even though the tail had already been rebuilt.

WRT what Tim said - it would suck to spend a load of time cleaning and rebuilding this thing only to find that the fuse is severely compromised by the 10 years of exposure to sun, wind, cold, rain, etc.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Aug 05, 2015, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by slopemeno
this space for rent
Joined Jan 2003
7,210 Posts
I have a Ki-84 that's in slightly better shape than that, but still needing a 200,000 mile rebuild.

Hey- didn't I buy it from you?
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 05, 2015, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have come this far if I wasn't already fully committed to rebuilding it......if the story's are true than theoretically this plane has never even really flown and it was sitting in the desert for almost 10 years, untouched....the storys alone should make any sloper want to get it in the air not throw it away like a piece of trash.... its going over the cliff again, come hell or high water!... again special thanks to Rubio for bringing it back from its shallow grave and not trashing it because it was just to "baked"
Old Aug 05, 2015, 04:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
moving forward

Got the vertical off ...more grinding. .. more sanding... almost there!.... thinking first thing on the agenda is gonna be the hatch since it was pushed in and the little plywood ledge it sits on was broken.... time to grind off the nail file hatch holder and start over!.....
Old Aug 05, 2015, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by Mid7night
I make planes I want to fly
Southern Cal.
Joined Mar 2004
1,103 Posts
I am followin' this now, I gotta see this Phoenix rise!
Mid7night is online now Find More Posts by Mid7night