HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by EdSoars
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
1,271 Posts
BTW, that is a brilliant balancing method. I'll set it up and use it right soon! The real goodie would be to set up an incidence meter so you could have the wing root at PRECISELY the optimum incidence angle.
EdSoars is offline Find More Posts by EdSoars
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Knoll53
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSoars View Post
That may be all the incentive I need to build your suggested D-tube plus ribs.
I think that that would be a freaking cool wing. The D tube for solid color and flash and Koveral at framework for old world charm. You can stain the rib edges and that reads through the Koveral.

Of course there is some tricky alignment and coordination required to attach the D tube to the framework, but it is doable.
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by Knoll53
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
The real goodie would be to set up an incidence meter so you could have the wing root at PRECISELY the optimum incidence angle.
I sometimes lay a 6" level on top of the wing with a 1/4" block at the back end.
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
Old Feb 02, 2016, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by EdSoars
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
1,271 Posts
Kent, yes, the D tube + sunlit ribs would be lovely. I might save that structure for an E-powered wing for summer flat-field thermaling, but it will have to wait for shop time when I'm not burning up my budget on heating. A rocket stove mass heater is in the works at the moment, burning up my time.

I want to get a quickie in the air to compare to that lightweight, fast-building, sweet-flying, bounces-off-rocks, 54" Moth. My buddy Chris is a master plank-tuner, but the rest of us need something with a little less pitch sensitivity...if it will fly with the Moth.

The old Talus is 59" span, and is close to the Moth's wing loading, but it's a crude ship, with a rough airfoil, no twist, and it's getting pretty fuzzy on all the edges.

Still snowing... gonna be some time before flying happens again.
EdSoars is offline Find More Posts by EdSoars
Old Feb 02, 2016, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by hallo
incorrigible model maker
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
The Plank 101 got rather bashed up last time out, so I took this opportunity to upgrade the elevons to kevlar hinges to finally end the sand intrusion problem. Tape hinges attract sand.............. Added some fine tuning to the elevon linkage by moving the clevis to the bottom hole on the servo, as all planks should be.

Also re-skin much of the wing with Sig Koverall, which is my favorite covering.

The re-kitted version requires some nose trim which is conveniently provided by a torpedo fishing weight. If only I could get the trim weight to glow and smoke, I'd really be getting somewhere.

As usual, I fly before I paint. As rough as it looks now, it should paint out nicely.
Nothing beats a fabric covered structure for beauty, just like in 1935..

hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo