Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:36 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,519 Posts
Build Log
Sparky is back with a B-58 hustler (66 inch long @ 4 pounds)

I would post this on the EDF page but Iíve been told that foam EDF models are taboo there for some reason.
The model has about 40 minuets in the air to date. . . .it's a done deal.
The design has been turned in as a construction article to Flying Models Magazine.

Iíll let you know when it comes out as soon as I know.
All will be revealed in time so stay tuned.

Plans will be available through the magazine. When the article is released.
The plastic parts I made for the B-58 will become available as well as a laser cut wood set too.
Here is a thread index so you can go straight to the section you want.
page post # section
1 ............. 4............. wing frame.
1 ............. 4..............servo mount
2 ............24............wing sheeting
3 ............ 40............Elevons
3............ .45............fuselage
5 ..............65 ..........fairing
5 ........ ... 68.......... fin
6 ............. 87 .......... fin attach
6 ............. 89............hatch
8 .............106 ...........pylons
8...............108............ducts
8......... ....110.......... nacelles
8..............112 ........... ESC
9 .......... ...126 ......... flight test
9 ........ .....146 .......... flight photos
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Last edited by sparks; Aug 27, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:39 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,519 Posts
Why?

The B-58 hustler has been on my design list for a few years now.
The desire popped up again when I watched Tom B. fly his fly-fly Mirage from EJF at BEST last year. Nice hand launch Richard.. . . . . .
Then came the L-39 , what a cool little power unit. This got the wheels turning again and I discussed it a little with Dave G.
A few weeks later he came to the shop with a cheaper motor / fan unit from RC hot deals
É≥55Ā~H33 Outrunner Brushless Motor Ducted Fan W/ Motor 2409H-7T.
We did a bench run and that was all it took.
With a three view on the lap top I laid out the model and started construction.
Last edited by sparks; Aug 08, 2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: 3 view
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:45 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,519 Posts
my goal

The goal was to build a large, light weight B-58 that can operate off of grass and not empty a guys wallet doing it.
Any one can design a money hungry pig, we see it every day a new ARF arrives. If I left something off the model you think it should have had, it was to save weight or money.
Iíve designed a Hustler with light wing loading; what you add from there is up to you.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:49 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,519 Posts
getting started

I love to build wings and itís a good thing too because this design is just a flying wing with a fuselage along for the ride. . .A good place to start for visual progress and inspiration.
I took a sheet of 3mm Depron and cut diagonally to fit the plans and bonded a strip down the center as a splice. Wile it cured I transferred the rib patterns to 6mm depron and 1/8 balsa.
IĎve caught flack before for drawing plans with only one wing and chances are I will again but you donít build this wing over the plans. You build it over the bottom sheeting so the plans are only for reference. The slots in spars set the rib locations for you, all you do is be sure they are straight and against the bottom sheeting.
I used tapered stock to force the bottom sheeting against the rib leading edge. (after the weight is applied) This only does part of the job though, narrow strips of scrap depron shoved between the sheeting and tapered stock does any adjustments.
I prefer polyurethane glue for this assembly method.
Plenty of time for adjustments and when it foams up any small gaps are filled.
The bottle said we have 8 hours drying time . . .I give a whole day.
Start collecting small weights now because thatís all I used for clamp pressure.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:51 AM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
I am very interested in the build thread Sparks or will there be one?
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:52 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,519 Posts
To make the flippers match the wing I build them as part of the wing and cut them free later. I know, know; elevons.
The hinge line gets a coat of Vaseline to prevent them from bonding and pushing a pin through the wing skin will allow you to make accurate marks for cutting it free later.
For the other wing panel I simply pushed down the spar flat against the sheeting and placed blocks under the completed side while I repeated the frame steps.
Last edited by sparks; Aug 20, 2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: SPL. thanks Gary
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:58 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,519 Posts
Building the servo mount ďboxĒ is done with 6mm foam sheeting.
Some quick measurements and marks locate the hole the servo will be mounted through in the lower skin The servo is held in place with an interference fit and a dab of silicone for safety.

Quick tip . run your wiring now.
I had to move them three times not knowing where the components would need to be and it was not easy. More on this later.
On the plans I made it very clear and straight forward. Install them now, they will be waiting there for you when you need them.

Thats enough for now, see you
Monday.
Last edited by sparks; Aug 08, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 08:42 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,455 Posts
Keith

What a great design!! The B-58 is one of those planes that just cries out to be modeled but is rarely done. Will be watching this with interest!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came Isaw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Aug 08, 2008, 09:20 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
Hey, I knew you were up to something Wondered if it was this or the next MD80.

Looks like it is coming along nicely. Since you're this far along I guess we haven't kept you busy enough

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 08, 2008, 09:49 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
very cool! i'm a watching or lurking. heh.
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:31 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,584 Posts
You REALLY need to go to Galveston, and see the B-58 at the Lone Star Museum of Flight!!!! OH! Don't get too close to the Grumman F3F there. Its contagious!
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Aug 08, 2008, 11:10 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,230 Posts
I've long thought the Hustler was a really mean looking flying machine! But how are you gonna build scale-size engine nacelles and have adequate performance?

BTW, I visited with Hausen Liang, owner of RC Hot Deals today. It's a good thing you got those fans when you did, since he says NOTHING is getting out of the factories anywhere near Beijing until the olympics are over, and that's where those fans are made.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Aug 09, 2008, 08:25 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
I love to build wings and itís a good thing too because this design is just a flying wing with a fuselage along for the ride. . .A good place to start for visual progress and inspiration.
I took a sheet of 3mm Depron and cut diagonally to fit the plans and bonded a strip down the center as a splice. Wile it cured I transferred the rib patterns to 6mm depron and 1/8 balsa.
IĎve caught flack before for drawing plans with only one wing and chances are I will again but you donít build this wing over the plans. You build it over the bottom sheeting so the plans are only for reference. The slots in spars set the rib locations for you, all you do is be sure they are straight and against the bottom sheeting.
I used tapered stock to force the bottom sheeting against the rib leading edge. (after the weight is applied) This only does part of the job though, narrow strips of scrap depron shoved between the sheeting and tapered stock does any adjustments.
I prefer polyurethane glue for this assembly method.
Plenty of time for adjustments and when it foams up any small gaps are filled.
The bottle said we have 8 hours drying time . . .I give a whole day.
Start collecting small weights now because thatís all I used for clamp pressure.
Wise to allow reaction time with polyutethane glue. It foams and sets by absorbing moisture from the wood in carpentry applications. With dry modelling wood and foam the only moisture is from the air. A very light watering could speed things up, e.g. perfume bottle.

Jerry
expat flyer is online now Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:23 AM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,536 Posts
Keith: Signing on for this one. It is a sweet looking subject and I can't wait to see your plastic magic at work again.

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Aug 09, 2008, 12:25 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,519 Posts
Charlie, I do tend to drop off the "zone radar" from time to time.
With several projects running all the time it really hard to get things out in a timely fashion.
Most of my computer time has been taken up assembling information for my up coming web site, The next construction article, three new pilot figures, and . Bla, Bla, Bla.

Challenger. the B-58 is "in the can" as Pat T. putt's it. but I did get a chance to climb all over one while I was in the Air force. The base commander ran it off the end of the runway and it was too expensive to move it so they salvaged the husk and left it there. It has since been removed. I checked it with Goggle earth.

Geoffinpdx . . . . . . it's all about wing loading. Like I said, any one can design a pig.
Also I never said it would be fast. . . . . . when the model is in the air at full power it looks like what I feel is scale speed. (In our world that's about 40 to 50 MPH) Keep in mind since I have never seen a B-58 fly I'll have to fall back on "what I feel looks like"
There will be a video posted later and you guys can be the judge.

Expat flyer.
normally I wipe the sheeting with a damp rag just before I start bonding if I want it to foam. evaporation inside the structure provides more than enough moisture for a good bond.

Thanks for the input guys I'll be back with closing up the wing Monday.