HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:07 AM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
Question
Charger and Lead question/help

Looking to get a "real" charger. I only have the USB chargers that came with the quads I have... And its getting tedious to recharge. But i just want something simple.. as my needs are simple.

I have a Hubsan X4 and a Blade Nano QX with another blade mCX2 or 180 QX in around my birthday...so... and more comming.

I'm looking at...

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

and

2 Pin 6 x Pico Plug Charging Set Eflite compatible.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

and

Walkera Hubsan X4 1 to 5 Balance Charging Cable

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...y-p-68437.html

Is this reasonable.?

1st... Is there a US location to find the Hubsan parallel lead?

2nd... Should Do i need a banana to JST connector or can i plug JST into the Turnigy?

3rd... Any thoughts on what I have here? I know its a cheep charger.. but my needs are small.
informix is online now Find More Posts by informix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:57 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by informix View Post
Is this reasonable.?
Definitely.

Quote:
1st... Is there a US location to find the Hubsan parallel lead?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-Hubs...item48657ae706

Quote:
2nd... Should Do i need a banana to JST connector or can i plug JST into the Turnigy?
Yes, you'll need a 4mm to JST connector to connect the parallel harness to the Accucell-6. Better yet would be to forego the resistive losses of the JST connector and simply lop it off and replace with 4mm plugs.

Quote:
3rd... Any thoughts on what I have here? I know its a cheep charger.. but my needs are small.
It should serve your needs very well.

Don't forget that you'll need a power supply. This will do the trick if you don't have a PS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-AC-Power...item4165228c6d

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:35 AM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
@mrforsyth

You are the man.. thanks...!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:14 AM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
So everything is in... charger, power supply, parallel leads banana connectors to the leads to charger.. one thing that didn't show up on time.. my new batteries...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:37 PM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
Everything came in.. did my first charge, parallel , everything went smooth.. Except it didn't seem to stop at 4.2.. it "seemed" to hover just at and below for a while.. and I got paranoid and stopped it. ( maybe a min more)

Was I just paranoid...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:44 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,881 Posts
That's absolutely as expected. The charger will drive current and continue to increase in voltage until it gets to 4.2 volts (CC stage) and will then hold at 4.2 volts and decrease current until it gets to 1/10th the original set current (CV stage).

As such, you'll need to let it do its thing and all should be fine. Be sure to check resting voltage with a good quality meter of known accuracy after charge completion to ensure that all is working as expected.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:26 AM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
First and foremost you are incredibly helpful.. Thank you.!

I let the next run go 15 min over when it said 4.2 then got paranoid and took them off. (watched a video about lipo safty and lipo's blowing up..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
As such, you'll need to let it do its thing and all should be fine. Be sure to check resting voltage with a good quality meter of known accuracy after charge completion to ensure that all is working as expected.

Mark
What is a "good quality meter" keep in mind I'm new, and don't have anything really 'big' but I'm willing to buy something high quality and will use long term.

Hobby King has like 9 pages of different types.
Last edited by informix; Jul 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:25 PM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
Let it go all the way to then end this time, basically sitting over it watching the mins tick... .. ended up like 78 mins total till it beeped and stopped.

yes.. yes I am paranoid.
Last edited by informix; Jul 21, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Is this really 'balance' charging?

I don't know much about this, but am looking for a similar charging setup (for X4 and V911/922/929/939)...However it strikes me that this cable wouldn't be able to 'balance' 5 separate batteries, but rather parallel charge them, which I assume means they have to be at the same level as each other starting out?

Is the advantage of such a setup (over plugging that cable into USB output) that you can know the final charge?

Will using this setup give the same final charge on all 5?

Can this setup be used to measure the pre-charge voltage of each battery and/or discharge them to a similar level before starting to charge them together?

Thanks

Rob
plantrob is offline Find More Posts by plantrob
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
...oh, and another query

How does this charger compare with imax B6 AC (on Banggood) which has the advantage of built in power supply?

Thanks

Rob
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:01 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,881 Posts
Quote:
First and foremost you are incredibly helpful.. Thank you.!
You're welcome.

Quote:
What is a "good quality meter" keep in mind I'm new, and don't have anything really 'big' but I'm willing to buy something high quality and will use long term.
This one will work just fine. Simply fabricate a lead with the appropriate connector so you can easily plug your batteries straight into the meter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:35 PM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantrob View Post
I don't know much about this, but am looking for a similar charging setup (for X4 and V911/922/929/939)...However it strikes me that this cable wouldn't be able to 'balance' 5 separate batteries, but rather parallel charge them, which I assume means they have to be at the same level as each other starting out?

Is the advantage of such a setup (over plugging that cable into USB output) that you can know the final charge?

Will using this setup give the same final charge on all 5?

Can this setup be used to measure the pre-charge voltage of each battery and/or discharge them to a similar level before starting to charge them together?

Thanks

Rob
so here goes my "limited" knowledge.. This IS a balanced charger, however you cannot balance 1S batteries.. It just doesn't work. You need a balance lead to charge 2S or higher batteries.

Now here is where my knowledge gets a little weak.. But...

You should NOT charge batteries at greatly different rates of charge.. They should all be at a "similar" charge rate.. But they do not have to be the exact same. I know this is not the correct technical term.. so someone please correct me...The batteries will normalize there charge against each other. Plug 6 batteries in, and the lowest will be lightly charged by the highest. And something similar happens when you charge. But i don't know the exact reason or how much room for error there is..

I looked at the imax B6 AC also.. and found them to be very similar in most ways.. Except one.. There are a TON of videos and posts on how to use the Accucel-6. Just an unending amount of very specific info on using it for every kind of battery. Plus I couldn't get one from a US retailer.. I don't want to wait 2 to 4 weeks.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Thanks for the info,

I'm probably inclined towards the Accucell which I have more confidence will be 'genuine' although I'm not sure there's any real basis for such worry. I'm happy enough with clone heli's, but not a charger.

Can the Accucell 'discharge' the batteries to a given level (one-by-one obviously) and then you could charge them all from the same starting point?

Since you started using a proper charger, have you been limiting flight times so as not to over deplete batteries?

Rob
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:16 PM
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
So i'll keep answering if I think i know the answer.. but anyone feel free to correct me.

The Accucell will discharge down to storage level.. There is a setting for just that, plug in.. hit the storage options and bamn, they reach 3.8.7.6 ..(something can't remember)

So i got a proper charger and a proper transmitter in the same month.. So i now use my DX6 to notify me about when its time to land and change up.

I used to fly with 4 batteries for my heli and 3 for my quad. and flew then down to nothing.. Seems a little pointless.. Instead I got 6 for my heli, and 5 for my quad (charging leads are 5 and 6 ended so.. ) So now i charge faster, and fly longer..and the battery will last longer.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Thanks for all that.