Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:49 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Discussion
Someone do a micro LPF

Coming from the mini multirotor area, we seem to be proficient at occasionally casting these little quads into the wind and that's the end of that.

The commercial lost plane finders I've found aren't suitable for these little guys. Weigh too much and generally plug into balance connectors. Our little guys mostly fly on 1S, so no such connector.

I'm no EE but knew several before I retired and I would think this would have been child's play for them. Take a pulsing piezo buzzer and throw together a little circuit to start when powered up, time for maybe 10 minutes, then turn on the buzzer. No matter if it eventually runs down the battery because if I haven't found it by then, a sick battery is the least of my problems. Reset the timer every time you do a power interrupt.

Could splice it into the FC power pigtail, or install via sandwich connector between FC and battery. No reason it wouldn't work on micro fixed wing too. If someone could put these out for not too much $$, I'd bet there's a local market for them.
hard line is offline Find More Posts by hard line
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:51 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,159 Posts
As this is the DIY forum see this;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=micro+beeper

Problem with real small beepers, running off low voltage, is making them loud enough, not so easy.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Jul 15, 2014, 06:12 PM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
United Kingdom, Rushden
Joined Dec 2005
113 Posts
Hey.

There may be another option you could explore that wouldn't add any extra weight.
With some ESC's you can flash a different firmware to them and get added features, for example just last night I flashed my Trex 150 with BLHeli firmware. Apart from a lot of nice features, this also gives me a lost model alarm. The latter made possible by the ESC and motor fitted to the model.
In the firmware hex files I noticed a lot of quad ESC's listed to, so your ones may be listed and allow this as an option.

When I am on my main PC I'll post a link that may be worth a read.

Ian
coolice is offline Find More Posts by coolice
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:56 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
My prior experience with 12V sonalerts is they put out way more sound level than I need for my situations. I fly in the desert covered in low brush. I can (and have) walked within 20 ft of my quad without finding it. I don't know how loud a 3V piezo buzzer will be, but surely I'd hear something that close.

Only one of my quads, an Armattan, has hobby grade ESC's that might be programmable. The others are smaller toy-grades. But I still prefer not to lose them.

I was hoping that this being a DIY forum there would be readers with electronics backgrounds who would know of simple inexpensive approaches to time delay of a stand-alone buzzer which could be carried by any aircraft. But yes, it would only be of use to a close range search where you have a reasonable bearing to search along.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:11 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,838 Posts
Have you guys looked into using a Loc8tor ?

http://www.loc8tor.com/

It works for me.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Actually, I have. But you get a lot of opinions, from worthless junk to great. Enough people think it's worthwhile that I may go that way. The tags are a little heavy for my smallest quads and I was wondering how it would work out if I de-cased one. I fly my smallest hot rod quads in windy conditions (they're the best at it) and I think more than 3g would start to become noticeable.

For my purposes a time-delayed noise maker would be my first choice, but at least I can just go out and buy a Loc8tor.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:10 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,838 Posts
Their page says 5g, I'll decase one put it on a scale tonight.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:11 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,387 Posts
I see "LPF" in an electronics forum and immediately read "Low Pass Filter" only to find out it's a lost plane finder.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:19 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line View Post
But you get a lot of opinions, from worthless junk to great
A lot of people seem keen on giving out best posssible results assuming perfect conditions, say model stuck in tree which you have clear line of sight to.

I put a Loc8tor in a plane fuse, and put it down on the ground in the front garden of my house. A lot of 'lost' planes end up on the ground, so it seemed a reasonable test.

I got maybe 15M or 20M down the street, and the Loc8tor lite receiver lost the signal.

Make you own mind up as to whether that is a worthwhile range for real world situations.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:47 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,838 Posts
5.6g all up on my scale.
The noise maker was glued to one half so I couldn't weigh just the guts.
But the half case 'without' was .9g and the half case 'with' was 2.2g.
So figure guts at 1.3g.
Plus 2.4g for the 2 button cells if used.

I bought the pet package. Use one for the cat and the other for my quad.
We've had it about 3 months now and the cat one gets used daily, sometimes 3-4 times a day by the wife.
Its only failed to work twice and we get about 130' range with it in tall grass and brush/trees.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:16 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I see "LPF" in an electronics forum and immediately read "Low Pass Filter" only to find out it's a lost plane finder.

Andy
Funny. I thought the same and I wouldn't know a LPF from a coffee filter.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:59 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
The small AS3X RX has an inbuild LPF.
Even the Nano QX has this usefull telemetry signal.
Good enough to take a bearing.
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga