HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2014, 12:36 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,652 Posts
Discussion
Replacement for Bluecore FFF

I went to Lowe's the other day with an old bar code to inquire if Dow Bluecore FFF could still be ordered. The guy at the commercial desk was very familiar with what I was looking for, and the fact the Bluecore is used for full scale aircraft construction. He spent about 40 min on the phone calling his local Dow representative and direct to Dow. The only FFF Lowe's stocks is some green Chinese made junk that has no structural strength at all.

What he found out from Dow, and verified by his local rep is the FFF is it is still available, but has been replaced by a product called Level R XPS. It turns out the FFF was manufactured by R.L. Adams who makes Dollar Tree Foam. After a call to R. L. Adams, they said the same thing that Dow and his rep said - it's the same material with the exception that the plastic barrier film is no longer applied. Supposedly no change in the base formulation or production, only the film. The price Lowe's quoted me was $39.95/bundle.

Has anybody looked into the level R XPS and been able to verify if it is the same? Lowe's doesn’t carry it, it has to be special ordered and will take 1-1/2 to 2 weeks to arrive.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2014, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2013
458 Posts
The R-Tech foam in the thread below might be available somewhere near you.
We built my neighbor's second plane with some "no-name" 1.5 inch thick foam, from a building site he was on. It was a little floppy, but REALLY light. A dowel for a spar, covered in light packing tape, and the thing flies beautifully even though we're pulling very high Gs in some very tight turns and loops. You can actually see it flexing, but the spar does the trick. If that Chinese green stuff is very light, that would be a plus for it, and a spar in it might work out just fine.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139366
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:36 PM
Charleston, IL
Joined Jul 2007
12 Posts
I had the same problem finding it at lowes recently but found out my local lumber yard has no trouble ordering it for me. I've purchased two bundles in the last six months without an issue. Here in central IL I use Kirchner Building Center and they have been a great help in finding airplane construction stuff. Even have serveral of the employees interested in airplanes cause of what I'm buying and why.
racer7c is online now Find More Posts by racer7c
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:23 AM
Joined Feb 2007
182 Posts
HogFlyer,

Save yourself the trouble. That stuff is garbage for model aircraft. I have plenty of the original FFF that we all started with some years ago. BlueCor was the original foam, then lowes stopped carrying it and started selling Protection Board iii. That was inferior, but it still worked.

That being said, i recently came across a supply of the BlueCor foam that has a different cut to it. It's called High Performance Underlayment and it is exactly like BlueCor with a smoother edge cut and the plastic film on both sides. That is a plus. You can PM or email me if you would like to buy some. I live very close to you.

my email is:
Txskywriter@yahoo.com
Txskywriter is offline Find More Posts by Txskywriter