HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2014, 01:47 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,309 Posts
Discussion
Another BVM Classic Jet Restoration

Hello all:
I have agreed to restore a BVM Jet for a friend. He bought the plane used and I think it was for a very good price. Originally we were just going to repaint it but after I got it in my hands and looked it over, it was clear that this plane needed a full restoration.

So, I will do a thread and keep you posted. I am not sure how quickly I will get the model completed but I will update the thread as often as makes sense. I do not have a photo of the assembled plane but I do have some photos I took before I started. Power will be an old glow BVM fan that we converted to EDF. It will be using an HET 700 series motor of 780KV and we will probably try the plane first on 10S. I did not realize how small the fuse was compared to my Maverick until I picked up this plane. Battery space and access to the interior is tight and limited.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Last edited by A10pilot; Apr 03, 2014 at 07:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,309 Posts
After I removed all of the equipment, I began the stripping process. I am using a product called Citristrip ( http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=36&prodid=63) I learned of this product from a refurb done by Sean (strictlyscale) on his Viper refinish. As usual, the Cirtistrip did a very good job and only took one application to soften the paint up for removal. I used a credit card to scrape the old paint off. Once it was off, I used some water and a Scotchbrite pads to remove some of the lingering paint pieces. Once this was done, I let the pieces dry and then I will begin the sanding process.

Ed
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
279 Posts
Hey Ed, very cool. I would recommend investigating cutting a cockpit hatch so it is removable. Like a Bandit etc. Not sure if you are into doing that much of a modification but it might make life a lot easier especially if you want to do a gear door.

Darren
db_sonic is online now Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:40 PM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
1,103 Posts
Ed

How long did you leave on the Citrus remover??
jefffassbinder is online now Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
279 Posts
you typically want it on overnight. 4 hours or so didn't cut it for me.
db_sonic is online now Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,103 Posts
Thanks

I'm about to do a Aggressor/Sport Shark.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:06 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sonic View Post
Hey Ed, very cool. I would recommend investigating cutting a cockpit hatch so it is removable. Like a Bandit etc. Not sure if you are into doing that much of a modification but it might make life a lot easier especially if you want to do a gear door.

Darren
Darren:
I am doing this for a friend and we have decided not to cut the front canopy hatch (like the one Jefffassbinder did )in as it is a lot of work and I need to finish the plane in about 30-45 days. This short time frame and the speed with which I work precludes the new hatch. Also the owner fly's off of unimproved grass strip so we have decided to use trailing link struts and no gear doors. He is not interested in speed but simply wants a good flying EDF jet and I think this is the one for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder View Post
How long did you leave on the Citrus remover??
Jeff:
My experience has been for rattle cans finishes like this one, I only had to leave it on for about 6-8 hours and it was ready to remove the paint. For the Maverick I did which was finished in a catalyzed auto paint I had to do three applications over the course of a week. I would apply a coat let it soak, scrape the paint off, then do it again. It might have taken less time if I had applied the stripper a littler thicker and then covered the plane with plastic to prevent the stripper from drying out.

I have had a few PM's on the identity of the plane. In the original post I mentioned that it was a Viper but I was told it was not. I looked at Sean's Viper and my wing and tail are different than his Viper. I originally thought it was a Viper as it had a swept vertical tail and it did not look like either of my old Aggressors. Additionally, it had the LEX as does the Viper. So, after all of this I am wondering if it is a Sport Shark or one of the later Aggressors like an Aggressor III.

Ed
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder View Post
I'm about to do a Aggressor/Sport Shark.
Jeff:

Do you have any photos of the Sport Shark wings, vertical and horizontal tails? I have looked at the Sport Shark that Bob Ruff has posted photos of an my fuse and hatch openings look very much like his. Did the Sport Shark and LEX's?

Chris True:
Can you chime in here and help me ID this plane. The horizontal tail and the wings both have a double taper like the Aggressor but the vertical tail is swept and the early Aggressor's were not. The taper on the trailing edge of the wing and tails is fairly slight and only about 5 degrees.

Any suggestions.

Ed
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:34 PM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Jan 2009
321 Posts
Looks like an agressor fuse with wings that were deviated from the plans??
txshan130 is offline Find More Posts by txshan130
Old Apr 03, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txshan130 View Post
Looks like an agressor fuse with wings that were deviated from the plans??
Tex:
I have photos of my Aggressors (circa 1993) and the nose is pointed not flat like this one. Take a look at the photos of bruff's NIB Sport Shark here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2073849&page=5 Post #75

What do you think?

Ed
Old Apr 03, 2014, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,103 Posts
Here is a shot

Jeff Fassbinder's orange jet (5 min 23 sec)

12 seconds in hit pause. Don't bother with this flight my cg and control surfaces were all messed up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2014, 10:09 PM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Jan 2009
321 Posts
I definitely don't think it is a viper fuse. It looks too long to me.
txshan130 is offline Find More Posts by txshan130
Old Apr 03, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,103 Posts
Nose and vertical

Nose looks elongated but still appears to flatten at the nose tip. The vertical looks very different as the sport shark kinda looks like a f20 with a base and the fin doesn't appear to be as tall as your. The rudder would be very effective on yours. On my shark it's a lot smaller.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2014, 10:29 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,309 Posts
Guys, thanks for chiming in. After looking at Jeff's plane this is not a Sport Shark as there are some differences in the aft end of the fuse. Additionally the horizontal stabs on the Sport Shark appear to be bigger (wider chord at root and tip) and they appear to be longer in span. Also the vertical is different (obvious).

In 1991 or so, I bought a NIB Aggressor from BVM and flew it while I was in Denver Co. Then a few years later I bought another Aggressor from Tom Robertson (long time builder of BVM model in the 1990's) Tom had modified his Aggressor by adding 3" to the nose of the plane and flattening it at the very front (much like this fuse). Tom told me the intent was to make the plane a little sleeker and faster with a more pointed fuse. I flew the plane for a year or so and it was clocked at 201 mph with a Violett fan and an OS91. Shortly after that the Aggressor II or II came out. I am thinking that it might be an Aggressor III with a different vertical. I thought that at onetime the plane was offered with two different vertical tail designs. Not sure as that was 23 years ago. I will post some photos of my two Aggressors tomorrow. I also have some photos of the 1992 Jets Over Deland that might provide some insight so I will have to look thru them and will update the thread then.

Jeff, since you are an EDF guy how did you get the smoke to come out of your plane while taxiing out

Ed