HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:36 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Discussion
Taranis - Information and Setups

Thread created to enable sailplane relevant discussion and to provide some separation from the main Taranis thread here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1866206

The Taranis firmware (OpenTX) allows for unparalled flexibility in model setup.

Users will often prefer different ways to achieve the same objective.

Share your ideas and model setups with others and tell them why you chose your preferred way.

Please add your location to your profile if it is not there so we all know where you are from, timezone etc.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Last edited by mpjf01; Apr 04, 2014 at 03:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:43 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Placeholder
Last edited by mpjf01; Apr 02, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:54 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Placeholder
Last edited by mpjf01; Apr 02, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:54 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Bookmark
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:55 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Bookmark
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:56 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Bookmark
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:56 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Bookmark
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:57 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
bookmark
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:58 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Phoenix 2000

As a starter here's a very simple setup for the Phoenix 2000 powered glider. No noises, no custom switches, functions or curves.

Throttle on throttle stick, crow on throttle stick, switch (flight mode) selection.

I am used to flying power models and controlling throttle with the stick so it seems natural for me to use it for spoilers/crow. Others prefer throttle on a switch. It is an easy change.

Remove .zip extension (don't unzip it, just rename).
Last edited by mpjf01; Apr 02, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:22 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,841 Posts
Bm.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Apr 02, 2014, 01:45 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
409 Posts
Here is one I created for rmsingh in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135172

==========================

Throttle > Ch-1 - Check
Rudder > Ch-2 - Check
Elevator > Ch-3 - Check
Aileron > Ch-4 & Ch-5 - Check.

I would also like to (eventually) configure:
Ignition Kill Switch > Ch-6 using SF switch. - I just set SF(dn) to set Ch-6 to -100% and Ch-1 to -100% since you probably want to make sure and chop the throttle as well.
Landing Gear > Ch-7 using SD switch. - Simple, SD runs from -100% to 100% using the switch. If you want to remove the middle setting, you can set up to be up, and down to be !up.
Flaps > Ch-8 using right slider (center position is 'Flaps up' or normal, down position is 'Flaps down', up position 'Flaps 'down' and Ailerons up' (crow). - This uses three curves. Curve 1 is used to run the flaps down whenever you run the slider from center to top or bottom. Curve 2 is used to add in the Aileron Up only when you run the slider up for the aileron on channel 4. Curve 3 is used to add in the Aileron Up only when you run the slider up for the aileron on channel 5.

I reversed the Aileron on channel 5 in the Limits page. If it doesn't need to be reversed, you can quickly change it back in that page. Also, I wasn't too sure why you needed an ignition kill on Ch-6 so I am not sure where you needed the end points to be when it wasn't activated. Unzip this file and load it into Companion9X and see if it does what you need.

I connected everything and it worked well.
However, Ch-7 Landing Gear needs to have the center removed as you suggested. But I don't know where in Companion Software to change it to '!up'.

So I went in and put Curve 4 onto channel 7. Right now with SD up, it's at 100%, and when SD is moved to the midpoint or down, it will drop to -100%. The curve is applied to the switch on the Mixes tab. You will also note that there is a 1 second slow for up and down, which you may or may not want. Glad to hear it's working just fine. I think this is really cool being able to work on mixes and forward them along.

As a suggestion, copy this into your eepe file, and then make a second copy on another model, and use that copy to play around and see how the curves are applied, and how they work. It makes it pretty nice in Companion9X where you can test the settings with the button at the bottom of the page.

Works like a charm! Landing Gear down on 'up to center' transition and up on 'center to up' transition. Perfect!
'Center to down' or 'down to center' has no effect.
Fig Newton is online now Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:56 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
634 Posts
Great idea.
This is my Radian setup. Pretty basic as it's only 3 ch but has flight modes so you can flick between elevator settings for thermal, cruising, speed (as speedy as a Radian gets anyway) without buggering up your trims. Also includes Vario tones on & off, SD logs on a switch & battery pack voltage alarm at 3.7v per cell for 3s. D/R on one switch.

.I use this setup for all of my electric gliders with mods to suit the specific model.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:49 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2013
518 Posts
Thoren is offline Find More Posts by Thoren
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thoren; May 06, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 08:25 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Radian

This is a setup for a Radian with the Taranis providing altitude/motor run limiting.

I found this posted in RCGroups somewhere but cannot find the creator to attribute it. If he or anyone knows please take the credit and tell us all about it.

As before, delete the .zip extension, it is not a zip file.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 08:56 AM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,061 Posts
I'd like to make a suggestion to help keep the collaboration on this thread high. If everyone could agree to a channel order for posted EEPEs they would be the most useful. I like the way the thread has started out with simple set-up but as dependent mixes and scaffolding logic grow it will become difficult to sort out the train of thought.

I'd like to suggest

1) right aileron
2) left aileron
3) right flap
4) left flap
5) elevator
6) rudder

for full house ships. Anything else is usually an artifact from selectable radios. I know it's a bit more work if you are converting existing gliders because you have to rearrange to plugs but it's worth it. Especially when working on the transmitter with its small screen having similar surfaces grouped makes life much easier. Even in companion it is easier to take full advantage of the wonderful cut, past and drag functions when you don't have to travel clear down the list.

Comments?

Dan
dang is online now Find More Posts by dang