HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,340 Posts
" A scale drawing is simply a representation of an object. Accuracy is only based on ones efforts and carefully measuring of the original."

But is it a GOOD , BAD, or INDIFFERENT representation? Does it even matter?

I think it does. An accurate representation of the object, is also provides an accurate history of the object.

If we view a scale drawing as being similar to portraiture, we all can appreciate the vast difference between an artist successfully capturing a good likeness, as opposed to another merely achieving recognizable.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:27 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,235 Posts
PP,

What can I say... One draftsperson, artist or builder may be diligent and the next be an expressionist. It is not difficult to see the difference in most cases, however to verify them becomes very difficult. The older the design, the less likely any information can be found to compare to the "scale drawings" that exist if any exist at all. In this day and age, the secrecy of technology or design keeps "scale drawings" from even beginning. Let's not even mention copyright here. Oops.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,340 Posts
I don't disagree with any of your observations. What i would like to see is more in depth discussion about individual drawings, of specific aircraft.

Why do scale drawings seem to get treated like sacred cows?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 06:14 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,235 Posts
PP,

In what way are you referring to sacred cows?

I have always thought that Willis and Nye did really good scale drawings, but you have brought to light that they to have had their inaccuracies too. Some of Karlstrums work too.

George
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:58 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,148 Posts
Back in the day when Karlstrom and Nye and that generation of draftsmen were supplying us with general arrangement drawings, their work was all that anybody in the scale hobby had to work with. Bjorn Karlstrom, in 1958, published the first general arrangement drawing of the Lockheed U-2 in Model Airplane News. The general public had no knowledge of the U-2 until Francis Gary Powers's U-2 was shot down over the Soviet Union in 1960. Karlstrom's drawing became famous. Was it an accurate drawing? Probably not in many ways. But it was out there when no other was.

As time went by other researchers began to scrutinize the work of those pioneers, finding flaws and making corrections. That's progress. Today's electrical engineers don't snicker at the inventors of the vacuum tube, do they?

Like any endeavor over several generations, each generation stands on the shoulders of the previous, making improvements and changes to suit later circumstances and requirements. The scale model scene, both flying and display, has changed dramatically for the better over the decades. The new drawings and other documentation used to achieve accuracy have improved. Well and good. But I don't feel that the "sacred cow" characterization is fairly applied to the work of the men who did us kids a favor 60-70 years ago by inspiring us with their efforts.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Last edited by JRuggiero; Mar 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,340 Posts
Sacred cow. Not to be assailed or even talked about. Bringing up the subject, seems to rub people the wrong way.

Jim R,

You make some good points and I agree with 99%
you said:
"But I don't feel that the "sacred cow" characterization is fairly applied to the work of the men who did us kids a favor 60-70 years ago by inspiring us with their efforts."

As it happens I also recall the Karlstrom U-2 drawing, and the excitement I felt at the time. Good memories. But should the sentimentality of those times color the evaluation of it's value as recorded history? Or worse, in my estimation, keep us from talking about its relative historical worth? IT's the latter that has me characterizing the discussion subject and not the work, as a "sacred cow".
Last edited by packardpursuit; Mar 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:56 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,148 Posts
pp,

You have a notion of what constitutes value with which I can't agree. And you seem to be the only one in this discussion who claims that some others claim that certain works are unassailable.

Frankly, if I weren't retired with too much loose time on my hands, I wouldn't have bothered with this discussion. Having spent all the time and energy putting my thoughts into this subject, I'm done.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 28, 2014, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,340 Posts
Wow, Jim. If I offended you in anyway, I'm truly sorry. Be assured it was not my intent.

I thought your comments were valid and contributed to the discussion. I especially enjoyed the apparent brief commonality of a shared Karlstorm U-2 drawing appearance, all those years ago.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 05:10 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,235 Posts
But I can tell you that Bjorn's drawing of the U-2 was just a close representation of the real thing, having worked on the U-2C, U-2CT , U-2R and U-2RT myself. I left Beale AFB before the arrival of the TR-1's.

George
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,340 Posts
Thank you George. I haven't a current opinion of Karlstrom's U-2 drawing. I did google "Lockeed U-2 scale drawings" earlier today, and was a bit surprised by the number of U-2 drawings viewable, there.

Perhaps you are the fellow to offer knowledgeable comparative U-2 drawing comments?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:32 AM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,235 Posts
Thanks Packard,

Its been sense 1981 that I've been up close to a dragon lady. I personally like working on the blackbird more than a duce.

George