Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2013, 06:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Benalla
Joined Oct 2005
276 Posts
Discussion
MAAA MOP058 changed on 30/11/2013

Major changes, editings and subtractions were written into the live document, MOP058 by the MAAA president on the 30-Nov-2013

Nothing about these changes was known by my club commitee, and I have not seen anything online about the changes so I post this heads-up for MAAA members.

http://www.maaa.asn.au/?page_id=79

Az
Azryl is offline Find More Posts by Azryl
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:07 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
507 Posts
I've attached the previous document for comparison by MAAA members with the new policy. Wholesale changes indeed. From 10 pages to only 2.

This is an interesting development, the cynical might suggest it was kept low key with clubs Azryl, since it clearly does follow on the heels of the policy adopted by AMAS much earlier this year. I guess being seen to be second behind the new kid on the block is not something you want to crow about.

One wonders what the catalyst for this unheralded change actually was. Was it a case of just catching up with the common sense approach adopted by AMAS or did it have anything to do with the way the radio sub-committee had been operating in regard to approving 2.4Ghz technology. I guess we'll never know but lets rejoice anyway for someone turning on this light at the MAAA and of course thank AMAS for providing both the bulb and the switch.
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:37 AM
Gotta Luv Gasser Helis..
Gold Coast, Qld , Australia
Joined Apr 2006
324 Posts
[QUOTE=Biggles1;26869066of course thank AMAS for providing both the bulb and the switch.[/QUOTE]

You don't do yourself or the association any good at with these continual comments of how good AMAS is whilst berating MAAA......

The thinkers amongst us are well aware that AMAS is part of the future, and those thoughts are pervading the rest of the flyers we associate with, but these never ending "smart a#se" comments are a turnoff .... and totally unnecessary ....

And as a FYI , all the QLD ( MAAQ ) clubs were notified of the changes the day it happened......
_Peter is offline Find More Posts by _Peter
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:49 AM
SORHinc
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
I agree 100%
While the likes of biggles and Lipoflyer are at the helm of AMAS i have zero intention of even entertaining the thought of joining AMAS and if our club was to decide it wanted to go that way i think it would be time for me to find a new hobby.
AtomicWedgie is offline Find More Posts by AtomicWedgie
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:52 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Peter View Post
And as a FYI , all the QLD ( MAAQ ) clubs were notified of the changes the day it happened......
...And did they happen to advise why the changes were necessary? Somehow I can't believe that no one in the MAAQ asked the question, especially since it meant the accepted list of transmitters (which has been in place and has influenced the purchasing decisions of thousands of aero-modelers across the country for a great many years) was suddenly discarded? Wasn't anyone just even a little bit curious about the rationale for that decision?
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:15 AM
Biomass processor
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Sep 2012
1,510 Posts
I'm not a club member, yet.
My biggest choice appears to be.......enjoy my flying with a 2 tier level of management at $A's or a 3 tier level of management at $A+s.

I'm not that well off that I can buy the latest and greatest nor even spend much at my LHS, so bucks are a BIG factor.
To see an organisation spend $500k in the middle of nowhere................hmmmm not my type of management for a "hobby".

And to further drag this thing off topic, if MAAA have $4M in the bank surely a good investment plan would be able to return enough that there would be nominal joining fee and nominal annual insurance fee. If the investment can't cover all running costs best they start looking at expenses.

Again, I'm not a club member................convince me to be otherwise.
cynr100 is offline Find More Posts by cynr100
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:48 AM
SORHinc
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Joining a club is a personal decision and one that you need to make yourself.
Also remember that the more you put into a club generally the more you get out of one as well.

As to the price in difference between joining an Maaa affiliated or an AMAS affiliated club is the cost of joining the appropriate state body so between $30-$40.

My advice to you would be to go and visit all the clubs close to where you live and see what they have on offer and what the cost to join is (all clubs have there own fees).

As to the purchase of the land i personally don't see a problem with it as long as the figures add up.
As to it not being closer to Sydney who cares. There are model flyers all over this country why should some miss out just because they do not live close to a major city.

Cheers Atomic
AtomicWedgie is offline Find More Posts by AtomicWedgie
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:57 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,603 Posts
Still doesn't change the way I feel.
Zootster is offline Find More Posts by Zootster
Last edited by Zootster; Dec 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 04:16 AM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,353 Posts
I wonder how many more members AMAS would have if they went about things differently.
My own club agreed 2 years ago to wait and see what happened as AMAS was still too new to make an educated decision. I had even printed out the application form and considered joining as an individual.
Then the nasty stuff started with threads being started attacking MAAA and its members and then closed to avoid any form of reply. Truly gutless behaviour.
12 months later and it was put to a vote at the last AGM and not one member supported going to AMAS. Not one.
Its unprofessional to constantly slag off the oposition and put down people who you dont agree with.Surely Biggles you can see the damage you are doing to your own organisation. For every new member how many are you putting off ?
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Dec 11, 2013, 04:46 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
634 Posts
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:28 AM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1 View Post
Surely Biggles you can see the damage you are doing to your own organisation. For every new member how many are you putting off ?
LMAO Who cares!!??

They'll all shift over eventually once they WAKE UP!

Lol at the blind followers of MAAA
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:47 AM
Ricksta
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Profanity). It is temporarily hidden while Ricksta edits it.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Fact is that this does not change much as the Acma still control legislative requirements and the radio must meet Aus standards.

Also under current legislation if you are to import a radio you are unable to sell it or even give it away without getting the c tick
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
Fact is that this does not change much as the Acma still control legislative requirements and the radio must meet Aus standards.

Also under current legislation if you are to import a radio you are unable to sell it or even give it away without getting the c tick
You are not allowed to have a transmitter in you're pocession that does not meet c tick standard.. The fines are massive and it would wave any insurance cover you might have.
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:44 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
I have asked this a few times and nobody can seem to answer. A radio without a module is a box of bits, so why does the radio itself need a C-tick? (not for MAAA stuff, but ACMA stuff) The issue is the transmission is it not? My take is a radio without a Tx module is not a transmitter.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch