HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Sims

Looking at getting a flight simulator but thinking I will also need a new computer. I'm not to good with them so thought maybe you guys could help me with a laptop that will be enough to practice on. I'm looking to go as cheap as I can as I would rather use my money for new gear but feel a sims will help a ton..
So if anyone could link me to a laptop from walmart and help me with what sims to get.
Looking at spending $600 on everything if do able.. thanks guys..
Tat76 is offline Find More Posts by Tat76
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Here's the deal in the current market: Both Intel and AMD are merging cpu and gpu into a single unit called an apu.

Intel> Ivy bridge(Core i3, i5 and i7 models). The gpu is either an Intel HD4000 or HD 2500. You will get the most bang for your buck with an i5 series, stay away from the i3 series. Intel will give you much better cpu performance ONLY if you pay top dollar for the i7 series, the gpu is weak vs AMD, but power efficiency is much better than AMD.

Note: Intel sells the previous generation, called sandy bridge, under the same modeling, i3, i5 and i7. Don't let a salesman trick you into thinking you are buying the same product. I'm sure they get kick backs for getting rid of old stock at new stock prices. I honestly think Intel does this intentionally. Don't get me wrong, sandy bridge is barely slower than ivy bridge, its just that the Intel HD graphics on them are horrible.

AMD> Piledriver (A4, A6, A8 and A10). The gpu is a Radeon HD6xxx-7xxx depending on model. You can buy an A8 or A10 for similar prices to an Intel i5 and have similar cpu performance, but much better graphics. The A6 is more budget friendly, but stay away from the A4. AMD has nothing to compare to an Intel i7 in performance, except in heavily threaded programs. AMD is also more power hungry at the same performance.

You will get nearly the same "real world" performance on a dollar for dollar basis, whether going with Intel or AMD. However, the AMD apu has a huge lead in gpu performance vs the Intel gpu. Since you want a laptop in order to use a sim, you need 3D graphics power. So, I highly suggest an AMD Trinity based laptop.

Many laptops will also have a dedicated graphics unit that is much better than the apus by Intel or AMD and sometimes will use the integrated with the dedicated graphics unit for more serious graphics processing.

Intel and AMD have lower power consumption and consequently lower cpu performing models in laptops as well. These models will not have the power you need to run 3D graphics smoothly.

Sorry, I can't just post a link and say, "this is the best laptop for you", it's against my philosophy when dealing with anything intel vs amd or domestic car vs foreign car, etc. You will not find an unbiased review of these products on any major website, except what I wrote above.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Last edited by phoenixheli; Dec 09, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Wow thank you for all the info but to be honest its all foreing to me.. I am looking into it and reading up on all your info but it's overwhelming.. Would it be best to get a desk top? Just thought a laptop would be nice to take places but I do have a monitor so I would just need to get a tower thing..lol
Would something like this do the job?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Des...x#tab=overview
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
E Series a bit weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat76 View Post
Wow thank you for all the info but to be honest its all foreing to me.. I am looking into it and reading up on all your info but it's overwhelming.. Would it be best to get a desk top? Just thought a laptop would be nice to take places but I do have a monitor so I would just need to get a tower thing..lol
Would something like this do the job?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Des...x#tab=overview
No! Don't go for the AMD E series, the cpu is too weak, though to be honest it may well be able to run a sim program.

Better to go for something like this AMD A8 series pc.

Just keep posting links to what you're thinking of buying - before you buy!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
No! Don't go for the AMD E series, the cpu is too weak, though to be honest it may well be able to run a sim program.

I have that exact HP desktop listed here, and it works great with Phoenix. Laptops are too small for a good sim experience. I ran mine on one for a long time, but I had the laptop connected to a large monitor anyway.

A laptop with a large enough screen and enough power to do what you want will cost more than a desktop setup will.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
I have that exact HP desktop listed here, and it works great with Phoenix. Laptops are too small for a good sim experience. I ran mine on one for a long time, but I had the laptop connected to a large monitor anyway.

A laptop with a large enough screen and enough power to do what you want will cost more than a desktop setup will.
Not necessarily - there are some pretty good deals on AMD Trinity laptops, and most have an HDMI out that you could hook up to a big fat TV screen.

It's great to hear that your A8 HP desktop does a good job running Phoenix. Have you tried it hooked up to your TV - and if so, does it run the sim at 1920 x 1080 with decent frame rates?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,529 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily - there are some pretty good deals on AMD Trinity laptops, and most have an HDMI out that you could hook up to a big fat TV screen.

It's great to hear that your A8 HP desktop does a good job running Phoenix. Have you tried it hooked up to your TV - and if so, does it run the sim at 1920 x 1080 with decent frame rates?
Just the monitor now and haven't tried the TV yet. I get 60 fps with my current setup.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:50 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Just the monitor now and haven't tried the TV yet. I get 60 fps with my current setup.
I just looked it up on the HP site, and there is only a DVI-D out, so you'd need to use a DVI - HDMI adaptor, which would potentially give the best video quality, or use a VGA lead to the TV.

By the way, always avoid buying HDMI cables at big box stores - they are a tiny fraction of the price online from Amazon and the like.

Edit: here's a good deal on an A8 laptop with HDMI out
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Dec 10, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
All my comps come from http://outlet.us.dell.com anymore. I used to build them from scratch, but I got cheap and considering I can get an outlet comp cheaper than building, I go that route. Though I do buy a good graphics card to put into them.

Plus they run coupons on Twitter all the time.

</opinion>
DarkWolf is offline Find More Posts by DarkWolf
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,529 Posts
Quote:
I just looked it up on the HP site, and there is only a DVI-D out, so you'd need to use a DVI - HDMI adaptor, which would potentially give the best video quality, or use a VGA lead to the TV.

By the way, always avoid buying HDMI cables at big box stores - they are a tiny fraction of the price online from Amazon and the like.

you aren't kidding on the cables.......anywhere from $30 to almost $100 just for a cable at some stores!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Quote:

That one is alittle on my high side since I need to get a sims and also a video editer for my sons go pro ( x-mas present)..
How about this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Des...&skuId=6927728
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Quote:

Ohh I like this laptop.. This will do it, or would it be best to go with a desk?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:20 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
That one is alittle on my high side since I need to get a sims and also a video editer for my sons go pro ( x-mas present)..
How about this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Des...&skuId=6927728
That's the same price as the K55N laptop....

The i3 cpu in that one is fine, but the graphics are weaker than the AMD options listed previously. It would probably run the sim, but you might have to cut back on some of the decorative effects, like trees and other scenery elements.

If you were to use the same pc for video editing, the quad core AMD solution might also be a bit faster for encoding the finished video - but maybe the concept of sharing a pc with a teenager is unrealistic and not what you meant!

The advantage of a laptop would be that it would be easy to hook it up to the TV without having to have it living near the TV.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Well a laptop is what I have decided on, think hooking to TV would just be sweet..lol
Just to be clear, the K55n would meet my needs as far as sims and video editing ( son is just getting into it but I love doing vids with my scale trucks..
For the TV hook up I would only need a HDMI cable then? Is that all it takes, plug and play threw TV..
Thanks so much for your help..
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Well a laptop is what I have decided on, think hooking to TV would just be sweet..lol
Just to be clear, the K55n would meet my needs as far as sims and video editing ( son is just getting into it but I love doing vids with my scale trucks..
For the TV hook up I would only need a HDMI cable then? Is that all it takes, plug and play threw TV..
Thanks so much for your help..
With most pc's and most TV's, yes. Make sure you get the HDMI cable from Amazon or somewhere like that, and you can get a 15ft one so that you can be sitting comfortably with your sim in front of the big TV!

I have a Philips TV, and it's a bit of a struggle to get my old pc to connect to it, but the same pc has no problems with a Sony and a Vizio tv that I've also tried it with.
RCG Plus Member