Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appfan View Post
I'll echo the others - clean build.

I'm curious how many amps you're pulling through the power distribution board. I see where it's only rated for 10 amps on HK's website.

Yea at first glance I was thinking the same thing, but 10 amps per channel at 11.1v (3s) X 6 motors is over 666 watts. That's over 150 watts per pound on my setup @ 10 amps on the Octo board. Also it would be easy easy easy to add jumpers to the HK Octo distribution to spread the load out and increase the amperage capabilities.

HK distribution Board @10 amps & 11.1v (3s) - 14.8v(4s)
3s hexacopter= 666watts+
3s octocopter = 888watts+
4s hexacopter= 888watts+
4s octocopter= 1184watts+

More than 100watts per pound should be more than enough fly any fixed pitch craft within reason.

Im waiting on my hitec4 charger since I left it at home a week or so ago, once it arrives I will update with some battery and lift amperage test.
morris.hans is offline Find More Posts by morris.hans
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Someone just confirmed 19 amps per channel on the octo board with a 3s - 1200watts+. Found on the HK website in discussion.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Video on 19 amps per channel on the hk octo board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UBiosjvRSDg
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
Cowboy up...
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Apr 2006
397 Posts
Thanks guys for the responses. Sorry I took the thread off-topic.

Nice build, very clean. Great job.
Appfan is offline Find More Posts by Appfan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Ground Station
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appfan View Post
Thanks guys for the responses. Sorry I took the thread off-topic.

Nice build, very clean. Great job.
No problem, that was on topic also. My charger came in yesterday and my watt-meter today so I plan to do some testing today and surely we can get some solid numbers on this octo board and overall usage of this multi rotor.

I flew yesterday at night, and my 3000mah didnt last long. My 3600 lasted a little better. Today im making a jumper plug so I can parallel any set of batteries since I think this thing needs 5000mah and up for any decent flight time.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Power Test

3000mah 20-30C Max 649 watts, 64.9Amps, 10.8Amps per ESC

3600mah 20-30c Max 745 watts, 70.7Amps, 11.7Amps per ESC

Parallell Jumper

3600 + 3000 Parallell, 809 watts, 76Amps, 12.6 watts per ESC

Hover Weight: 2140grams / 4.71lbs, 373 watts, 35Amps total, 5.8Amps per ESC, 75 watts per pound
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
HK Hal (+) Frame Alignment & KK2 Quickstart

I wish I knew this before I started assembling everything.

KK2 Settings; I also used DR&Expo on the DX6i ((80%, 30%)Rudd,Ail,&Elev)
Add/reduce DR&Expo or Stick Scaling for more or less sensativity.
I used KK's tuning guide on RcGroups.

HK HAL Hexacopter Flight (0 min 0 sec)

59Amps max on this^^^ flight.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jun 2012
138 Posts
Looking very good man, thanks for all your updates here.

Let me know if you're ever in south LA btw..
aForcefulThrust is offline Find More Posts by aForcefulThrust
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aForcefulThrust View Post
Looking very good man, thanks for all your updates here.

Let me know if you're ever in south LA btw..
Will Do!

Now im waiting on HK to send me a cable so I can flash this KK2 with firmware to stabilize the camera gimbal. This hex seems a lot less sketchy than my fpv 450 heli.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
hi Morris.hans
I am a beginner in multirotor, and want to build Hexa similar to what you have (frame, esc, motor, FC, ​​etc.)

whether HK KK2 FC plug n 'play? or should be in the settings again?
because I do not understand about setting FC

Can you describe the arrangement of wires to esc with Hobby King Octocopter Power Distribution Board?

thank
fajaranakku is offline Find More Posts by fajaranakku
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Hexacopter Wiring Guide Help for First Timers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajaranakku View Post
hi Morris.hans
I am a beginner in multirotor, and want to build Hexa similar to what you have (frame, esc, motor, FC, ​​etc.)

whether HK KK2 FC plug n 'play? or should be in the settings again?
because I do not understand about setting FC

Can you describe the arrangement of wires to esc with Hobby King Octocopter Power Distribution Board?

thank
Sure, its so very easy.

Battery plugs to power distribution board. Each esc for however many rotors you want will plug into the power distribution, so lets say you buy a HEX, thats six esc's, so thats six positive esc wires, and six negative esc wires into the power distribtution. It does not matter where on the distribution board you plug them in as long as you put positive with red and negative with black. The power distribution board is really a oversimplified Y splitter for whatever battery you plug into it. Octo distribution board Y splits into 8 negatives and 8 positives for up to 8 esc's or 8 sets of lights or anything that will run off the battery you plug into it. Just make sure whatever you plug into the distribution board can run the voltage of the battery that it being used (ex. 1s 3.7volt lipo won turn on 12v hk leds cause the led's require more to even light up, the 1s will plug into the distribution board but all your getting is ~3.7 volts so the lights will plug in but never light up. You can also plug a 10s 37volt battery to the power distribution board, but anything that you plug into the outputs of the distribution board that cant handle 37 volts...ie a 2-4s esc......will put on a nice smoke & melting wire show. With that said you understand that the distribution board is simply like a extension cord with a few extra outlets; match whatever escs, lights, cameras, ect..ect voltage to the battery that you use. If you need less voltage for say a 5 volt camera, then you can still use the power distribution board for lets say a 3s 11.1volt, you simply need a 5volt regulator that can handle 11.1volts.....easy right)

The esc goes to two places after the power distribution board.

1. A servo wire to the FC for each esc, so six of the servo wires coming out of six esc's going to position 1,2,3,4,5,6 on the FC (M1,M2,M3,M4,M5,M6 on the KK2),

2. Then 3 wires per esc for each brushless motor, so 18 motor wires total with the first 3 going to the number 1 arm/leg/motor, then 3 wires to motor 2 then 3 wires to motor 3....ect ect. Motor 1 is going to be the lead (front, first) on a (+) configuration hex setup. (+) "configuration" just means the lead/front of the hex is a single arm/leg/motor and not split between two legs which is a (X) configuration.

KK2 Setup:

KK2 is what I would call plug and play, BUT it still requires setup to get flying because you have to tell it what type of plane its flying, where the front motor is, and a easy first time level calibration. KK said the stock settings will fly a hex but you will find yourself changing things once you see how easy it is to change them and how much better it flies when its right for your style.

For a hex you will see that the KK2 (in the (+) configuration) wants motor 1 to be a clockwise, 2 counter, 3 clock, 4 counter......ect.ect. So you will have to make sure all esc's are turning the correct way by either programming each one as you would like on a airplane, or simply swapping two of the three wires going to the motor.

Recap on wiring order: battery -To- power distribution (splitter) -To- esc's -To- motors and FC (KK2).

Once you get everything assembled and powered on here is the full KK2 tuning guide written by KK himself that will make it as smooth flying as you want it. Read his entire post and watch every video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
hai Morris.hans...

thanks for the explanation ...
now ready for shopping in HK, later when I have a problem with FC KK2, help me, ok?!

although until now I still worry how setting FC KK2, but I will learn how to set the FC in this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613

thanks again
fajaranakku is offline Find More Posts by fajaranakku
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Another first timer need help!

Hi guys!

I'm also a newbie in R/C, though I do have a background in robotics.

I am reviewing my options to build an hexacopter, my first aircraft, and I'm very interested in this build. However, I am really worried about flight time. Without any payload, what is your actual flight time? I heard people say 4 minutes!

Since I'm interested in FPV and autonomous flight in the long term, getting a 10+ minutes of flight is critical, while being reliable and able to sustain some payload.

What are your thoughts about this?
Thanks!
LoneNomad is offline Find More Posts by LoneNomad
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneNomad View Post
Hi guys!

I'm also a newbie in R/C, though I do have a background in robotics.

I am reviewing my options to build an hexacopter, my first aircraft, and I'm very interested in this build. However, I am really worried about flight time. Without any payload, what is your actual flight time? I heard people say 4 minutes!

Since I'm interested in FPV and autonomous flight in the long term, getting a 10+ minutes of flight is critical, while being reliable and able to sustain some payload.

What are your thoughts about this?
Thanks!
My setup uses approximately 720Mah per minute. Thats at 4.5-4.75lbs flying weight You could add more weight but the consumption per minute will go up due to the increased power needed to sustain flight. So I could use 2x5000mah batteries and I believe my setup will lift it but I will have diminishing returns on flight time. The same battery (3600mah) on my bixler will fly 15 minutes even with fpv equipment, and I believe single motor gliders is where you will find the longest flight times. The key to a good long flying setup is a set of motors that put out alot of thrust with low amp loading. Im not sure where these HK motors stand on the efficient scale but I think that they're reasonable and know more efficient motors are out there.

You may want to consider getting some sort of RC flight simulator and or a foam plane (bixlers the BEST!) to learn to fly before jumping into a multi rotor vehicle for a first timer. It has auto level and such but you may find it crashed beyond recognition from unavoidable rookie mistakes. In my opinion it flies just like a fixed pitch helicopter which is a really bad deal for a RC first timer .

Last edited by morris.hans; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Thank you for your opinion! I just bought a simulator on ebay, and might well buy a Bixler along with the Hexcopter components, when I'll order (which is when the 9XR Tx will come out). As far as I can see this frame is waaaay too heavy for my application. Time to reconsider my build. Right now I'm watching the F550 clones or the platypus X800 (pricey, but big and pretty), or pretty much anything. A quad, if I can upgrade to hex later.
Hell, I already have a small quad frame I 3D printed on my RepRap.

It's just that, with the shipping price of HK, a corner of my mind tells me to go big or go home with this one.

Anyway, for the FC, I will use a Megapirate with GPS (I'm an Arduino lover). As far as I know, multicopters are self-stabilizing, how is it that they're so hard to pilot?
LoneNomad is offline Find More Posts by LoneNomad