HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:08 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
I wouldn't bother with all the spares, you'll probably be ready to move on to a better heli before you've used most of them - they don't break that often, so I think you'd be better saving the money and putting it towards an mSRx or mCPx
Agreed. The most common failing parts are the main shaft's blade pivots, but these can be repaired with a cocktail stick. Skids can take a beating if you crash often, so a spare set might come in handy. Or you could buy the Xtreme skids, as far as I know no one has been able to break these without running over the heli with a pickup truck...

Besides those parts grab a tail set, a linkage set, and a tail rotor (just in case it comes off during a crash and decides to "hide") and you are good to go for quite a while. The main motor will wear out sooner or later, but there is a big chance you will have moved on before that.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:00 AM
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
I was out on the road and was close to a hobby shop so I went in.
Came out with an msrx....Little bit more than I wanted to spend..but I was kinda anxious didnt have to order off the internet.
Its kinda hard to fly..will take a while to get used to...I should have went with a solo pro or msr and ordered from the internet and waited...but I figured I would be getting the latest technology with the msrx.

Took dozens of tries literally to be able to keep aloft without hitting something..I am up to about 30 seconds or so before I crash.

I need more room to start with..and I think I would be ok..just to much stuff in the house here..but once i get better on it will be easier

No it wont hover on its own..not for long anyway..flybarless is a different beast ..when you let go of the sticks it doesnt settle in a hover..its a workout.

Kinda wish I had got a solo pro as I have bit off a little more than I can chew with the msrx...its not going to be "relaxed flying" by any means.

I have to radio on low rate already...the links are on the long balls..kinda afraid I will break it taking em off to put on the short ones..is there a trick to that to reduce the risk of breakage
I busted the landing skid and used black tape for the repair ..will get be by for now..I just dont want to bust the balls off when I switch to the short ones....The short balls will make it less responsive correct?..which is what I want for the time being.
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Last edited by New Toys; Dec 27, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
I've posted this so many times already, what's one more time:

I recommend this training program:
  1. Hover in one spot
    1. Nose away
    2. Nose right
    3. Nose Left
    4. Nose towards
  2. Box Circuits
    1. CW Nose away
    2. CCW Nose away
    3. CW Nose right
    4. CCW Nose right
    5. CW Nose Left
    6. CCW Nose Left
    7. CW Nose towards
    8. CCW Nose towards
  3. Circles
    1. CW Follow the Nose
    2. CCW Follow the Nose
    3. CW Follow the Tail
    4. CCW Follow the Tail
  4. Flat Pie Plates?
    1. CW Box, Nose Center
    2. CCW Box, Nose Center
    3. CW Box, Nose Outer
    4. CCW Box, Nose Outer
    5. CW Circle, Nose Center
    6. CCW Circle, Nose Center
    7. CW Circle, Nose Outer
    8. CCW Circle, Nose Outer

Unless I had a lot of money to "burn", and a lot of "free" repair down time, I wouldn't try to fly fast without first mastering it SLOW, and I wouldn't try to fly slow, without first mastering stationary.

I think progressing using a well structured training program, may be cheaper, faster, and better than a wild anything goes approach.

I've been flying for about 2 years now, have recently started practicing flying inverted on the simulator, and I'm still using the above training procedure again, but this time it is with the heli "upside" down.

I think if a person masters taking slow baby steps, before taking fast big steps, then I wouldn't expect having to do extensive/expensive repairs.

Best wishes

Kung Fu Rice Paper FAIL (0 min 44 sec)
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:56 AM
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
I will...am still trying to being to hover...At this point I am not trying to move about but just keep it from hitting the walls etc.

I just skipped a step I should have went with a flybar setup for this bird...hopefully its calm outside tomorrow so I will have more room to "save it"
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2010
812 Posts
A flight sim is well worth the money!
Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
+1

IMO, so is a 45* Heli, if you're in a hurry to get up and go right out of the box.

Probably the biggest determining factor is the individual's expectations. Some are more patient, and are willing to wait longer for a better reward.

Hopefully, the mSRx will not be POJ?
Last edited by i812; Dec 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:25 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,075 Posts
New Toy, You made the right decision. Your skill level will quickly catch up. For me, it only took one session outdoors to "get it".

You want to buy something you can learn to fly. If you simply purchase something that you CAN fly, you'll quickly outgrow it.

Right now, you got the latest technology. It's a better investment. If you want a flybar heli, just get one of the many Solo Pro, MSR clones that are/have been coming out. $30 is easy to purchase on a whim.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
A getting the hang of it now...did some hovers without crashing ..am only getting about 2 and half minutes per battery...was hard to keep track of the time before I was getting the hang of it.

Motor isnt hot upon finish and the battery is only warm.
The blue light will begin to flash and it will just basically drop.
Isnt it supposed to flash for a little while?...then become poorer with response?
Any ideas?
I am starting to like the bird now that my control is better....its quick even on low rate
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
On the mSR, when it flashes it drops. You can "push" it more if you want, but it is not recommended if you don't want to purchase new batteries.

IMO, flying to LVC is OK, damage occurs if you try to push it afterwards.

If you can hover it, then I think you made a good decision. With time, it only gets better from there. With the mSR, one of the most likely things to break is the Flybar. Without flybar, you're in heli heaven.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Its not giving me time to push it more...in other words as soon as it flashes blue its done..once it just dropped..the other time it gave me 2 seconds...so the blue started flashing and it just descended.

It durable has went through several crashes...and I mean several dozen.
Busted landing gear so far..but the rest has held up.
I am launching it from a foot stool {sloped edge} which helps with the shooting left.
Other wise it will go left about 8 foot before settling in which was causing most of my problems as I am cramped for room.
I am going to like it if I can figure out this flight time issue.
I found the msrx thread and mentioned it there...will see if other have had the same issue
I am on low rates on the radio and the short balls on the bird..and it is still very responsive.
So I have 2 more stages to grow through..boredom will not come as soon as if I picked something tamer.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Once properly trimmed, I find take-offs from the ground one of the most difficult things to master (learning to just "punch" it high enough to get out of danger-zone is intimidating when you're scared and don't know what to expect when you get in the air). After a while with experience, that initial spot in the air will be the safest spot during the entire flight.

IMO, you can "cheat" and bypass the ground take-off "excitement" by hand launching, but you have to learn not to "spaz" on the sticks when getting in the "saddle". I still hand launch my mSR today, mainly because I'm too lazy to bend down.

IMO, getting the best hands free hover is the key to the future. If something is already bent and causes wobbles, vibes, TBE, it will only make it worse to handle. I think learning how to properly inspect/set-up the heli is as difficult as flying a FP.

Best wishes
Last edited by i812; Dec 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Was practicing take offs earlier...and being careful while adding aileron as it went up...I am going over about 2 to 3 feet to the left...verses about 8 foot if I dont add any right aileron...I was flipping it at first..but am improving.{am adding aileron a little later rather than during lift letting it get about a foot off the ground before I add aileron}
I have managed a few tight hovers so far..but still need alot of room getting myself out of trouble alot of times as well.
I am going to find a larger open area to practice in to build my skills so it will make it easier in the house...I spend alot of my time just keeping it away from the walls etc..and really havent been able to try any patterns etc yet..Its been cold wet and windy outside the last couple days