HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:12 PM
I find it rather unseemly!
United States, IN, Earl Park
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlumens View Post
Paul (WiteSpy) now sells what he calls a "replacement hub cap" ($2.50) at the top of page 2 of his "Accessories" section that fit the upgrade 980 KV T-Motor, if that is what you are looking for. I wasn't able to find them any place else.
Thanks for looking for me! I had checked his site earlier today hoping he would have some but the ones I'm looking for are actual threaded nuts. I'm sure they will pop up sometime, if not, then maybe I'll just have to go with the regular nuts and hubcaps?
grizzledcamudgen is offline Find More Posts by grizzledcamudgen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledcamudgen View Post
Thanks for looking for me! I had checked his site earlier today hoping he would have some but the ones I'm looking for are actual threaded nuts. I'm sure they will pop up sometime, if not, then maybe I'll just have to go with the regular nuts and hubcaps?
The "replacement hub caps" are threaded nuts--he just calls them "hub caps". I think that these are what you are looking for. Your first post said that you got the upgraded motors. I have the T-Motor 980 KV upgraded motors with threaded black conical "spinners" that screw onto the motor shafts to hold the props on. The "hub caps" are the same as what came on the quad when I got it and what I was looking for--they fit perfectly.
jlumens is offline Find More Posts by jlumens
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlumens View Post
The "replacement hub caps" are threaded nuts--he just calls them "hub caps". I think that these are what you are looking for. Your first post said that you got the upgraded motors. I have the T-Motor 980 KV upgraded motors with threaded black conical "spinners" that screw onto the motor shafts to hold the props on. The "hub caps" are the same as what came on the quad when I got it and what I was looking for--they fit perfectly.
Good deal, I'll be snagging a few of those! Thanks a bunch!

Anyone know where I can get a landing gear leg? I had made a hard landing on concrete and broke a foot "rubber spacer" off.
Last edited by grizzledcamudgen; Sep 29, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2012
131 Posts
Quote:

Anyone know where I can get a landing gear leg? I had made a hard landing on concrete and broke a foot "rubber spacer" off.
Go to the HoverThings site, Parts, HT-450.
http://www.hoverthings.com/
He has the landing gear and the hardware (including the rubber feet).
jlumens is offline Find More Posts by jlumens
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, IN, Schererville
Joined Jan 2004
259 Posts
Quote:

If you just need the rubber grommet and screws, I have an extra you can have. Just a trip down Rt. 41 or I could mail it to you!
nike25 is online now Find More Posts by nike25
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:27 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,061 Posts
Beautiful Florida morning!! Going flying!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike25 View Post
If you just need the rubber grommet and screws, I have an extra you can have. Just a trip down Rt. 41 or I could mail it to you!
I have those parts, thank you for the offer! I had broke off the foot at its attachment point. I think what I will do after I get the leg back on is put something thicker over the top of each foot! I've seen it done before on here, I'll just have to get creative!

(pic 1) I was thinking...how about taking the rubber grommets & shaft out of the leg and put these in place of them? It would strengthen the frail end, the last hole on the leg. You would just need to drill an extra hole. It would be placed at an angle but you could belt sand it down flat if you wanted to.

(pic 2) Well, I found some Polyethylene Plastic Bar Stock that I could make my own feet with! I'm not finding those yellow feet anywhere plus I'm not sure if they are 3/4" wide anyway? I'm sure they are tho. They actually look like foam, now that I look more closely! IDK?

(pic 3) I did find this while snooping around the web! I like this idea a lot!! It would definitely help with the harder landings!

(pic 4) Well, here is what I have gone and done to mine. I took 4 shocks from an RC truck I don't run anymore. It is not finished, I only mounted one on so far plus I have to make feet from the plastic bar stock which will give the leg more strength.
Last edited by grizzledcamudgen; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
Quadrino & MultiWii 101

FlyingEinstein will be hosting a webex class each Sunday @ 3PM EST for an introduction to wiring the Quadrino and initial installation and configuration of the MultiWii Configuration software. This is a group discussion and a Question and Answer period will follow and asking questions during the webex is also encouraged. If you are having difficulties with setting up the Quadrino this is your chance to get your questions answered and your quad flying.

This class is offered through Cisco WebEx and supports up to 25 attendees at a time. To join the meeting goto flyingeinstein.webex.com between 2:45 PM and 3:00PM EST. The meeting will open at 2:45PM but will not begin until 3PM.

Password is always "quad"

Go to flyingeinstein.webex.com

Webex is a Cisco product for online group meetings and presentations. If you haven't already done so, your browser will prompt you to install the webex browser plugin. There is no spam, spyware or adware in the Cisco webex product. Cisco is the leading supplier of computer network related products.
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Noob Warning!

Hi Folks -

Right now I'm messing with a UDI U816, but was thinking I's get into this more heavily and get a Witespy soon, that is until I read this thread....

So, I have a few questions, please give me your opinion:

1) Have the bugs been worked out of this system to your expectations, or are the people who were posting here a year ago still having the same problems?

2) Are there people here who can honestly say they came from a noob perspective with lttle or no experience who are making this thing work to their satisfaction? Put another way, can an intelligent person with basic deductive skills feel confident that they can work this thing out? At this point I find the questions and answers given here completely opaque.

3) Subjectively speaking, has the time you've put in other than actually flying been worth it to you in terms of learning experience (even if it is just applicable to Witespy Quads) or just a useless pain in the ass? Granted much of the things we do of any kind of expertise takes time to learn, but not many of us wants this to be a full time occupation, either.

Thanks for your input, I'd like to get into this more, but it seems completely daunting at this point to me.

Elliot
Deathspiral13 is offline Find More Posts by Deathspiral13
Last edited by Deathspiral13; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:32 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,061 Posts
I had such a great weekend flying my WiteSpy!!! Thank you beautiful weather!!!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:33 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,061 Posts
Quote:
I have those parts, thank you for the offer! I had broke off the foot at its attachment point. I think what I will do after I get the leg back on is put something thicker over the top of each foot! I've seen it done before on here, I'll just have to get creative!

(pic 1) I was thinking...how about taking the rubber grommets & shaft out of the leg and put these in place of them? It would strengthen the frail end, the last hole on the leg. You would just need to drill an extra hole. It would be placed at an angle but you could belt sand it down flat if you wanted to.

(pic 2) Well, I found some Polyethylene Plastic Bar Stock that I could make my own feet with! I'm not finding those yellow feet anywhere plus I'm not sure if they are 3/4" wide anyway? I'm sure they are tho. They actually look like foam, now that I look more closely! IDK?

(pic 3) I did find this while snooping around the web! I like this idea a lot!! It would definitely help with the harder landings!

(pic 4) Well, here is what I have gone and done to mine. I took 4 shocks from an RC truck I don't run anymore. It is not finished, I only mounted one on so far plus I have to make feet from the plastic bar stock which will give the leg more strength.
Just be very careful of weight. If I add weight I prefer it be battery capacity Just one perspective.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida View Post
Just be very careful of weight. If I add weight I prefer it be battery capacity Just one perspective.
Yeah, I fully understand that! I have a 6000mah 3s I like using but it adds a pound extra to the quad! That really doesn't bother me, I live in a real windy area and it seems to help with the stability. Now about the shocks, they are really light weight! The plastic feet I'm thinking of adding, I've really thought about it a lot (weight wise) I was thinking of shaving it to the bare minimum if I go the route I'm thinking. They will look nothing like the pics of the blue & yellow ones! A lot smaller, just to strengthen the end from snapping off like mine did. (See pic)
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspiral13 View Post
Hi Folks -

Right now I'm messing with a UDI U816, but was thinking I's get into this more heavily and get a Witespy soon, that is until I read this thread....

1) Have the bugs been worked out of this system to your expectations, or are the people who were posting here a year ago still having the same problems?

2) Are there people here who can honestly say they came from a noob perspective with lttle or no experience who are making this thing work to their satisfaction? Put another way, can an intelligent person with basic deductive skills feel confident that they can work this thing out? At this point I find the questions and answers given here completely opaque.

3) Subjectively speaking, has the time you've put in other than actually flying been worth it to you in terms of learning experience (even if it is just applicable to Witespy Quads) or just a useless pain in the ass? Granted much of the things we do of any kind of expertise takes time to learn, but not many of us wants this to be a full time occupation, either.

Thanks for your input, I'd like to get into this more, but it seems completely daunting at this point to me.

Elliot
Not sure where you started reading, I'm assuming from the beginning, if that's the case then you do know those are older versions! I have a new one and have had NO electrical problems whatsoever! I am a noob at flying anything! But I love my Witespy!!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:13 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Witespy vs users

Deathspiral-

I used to be called "Captain Tipstall" so I understand the Deathspiral moniker. I have a Gaui 330 and with the original "controller" it was an uncontrollable disaster. And no real support or help from Gaui. At the same time I bought the Gaui, a friend got the Witespy 450 with the DJI NAZA controller. It nearly flew itself and was very very stable. So I purchased a NAZA from Witespy and the difference was quite obvious. The user must have a computer to interface with the NAZA and it does take a bit of effort. I am a retired engineer and worked with computer hardware and software configuration control...and I have to go slowly and carefully to make it through all the set up steps. Old age is surely part of the problem! NAZA's documentation is sometimes a bit cryptic but way better than Gaui's confusing 4 pages. Bigger is better and I strongly recommend the 450 size with 10X4.7 props. It has been a challenge, but I now have a stable camera platform after 10 years of experimenting with fixed wings and helicopters. As they say here in New Mexico, "if you are not an adventurer, you will never cross the sea".

Rich

P.S. Witespy will give you personal email help if you are patient about waiting for a reply. I think he is very busy making more quads.
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Last edited by rloose; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: tow manny typos
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:49 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspiral13 View Post
Hi Folks -

Elliot
You should probably specify which fc you are considering. Huge difference in setup difficulty between quadrino vs naza
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez