Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:55 PM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Discussion
KAP at Encina HS (Sacramento, CA)

Nice day to be out having fun with the wind... The lighting conditions were lousy, overcast, so most images didn't come out looking as good as they would if it was nice a clear.

Images are from Encina High School soccer field and some shots include Greer Elementary School that's adjacent to Encina HS.

Enjoy,

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:24 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,114 Posts
KAP is cool. Great shots!
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:36 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
745 Posts
Haven't tried KAP. It could be handy though for the coast here. When it's too windy to fly, send the kite, no down time due to weather! Pic look good btw. You've got the same clouds we have here, hasn't been too much sun for any real good pics lately. Looks like it gonna be the same way for the next couple weeks too. Starting to get a little crazy wanting to fly and get some nice shots, but it's either windy, too cloudy, or raining. Spring will come soon though! Keep it up, can't wait to see more from the capital city.
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:29 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,114 Posts
I think one of the biggest misconceptions comes from what we see in a typical park, where a kite (or kites) is flashing round the sky like a mad thing. The reality for KAP couldn't be more different! I have a giant Rokkaku "fighting" kite (80" x 50") which is as tame as a puppy once you set the lines up right. On recent AP job, after launching the kite, I decided to get most of the shots using my mast, so I left the kite in the air, tied off.

TWO HOURS later, I retrieved the kite, which had been just hanging up there like it was nailed to the sky! My other kite, a Flowform 16, (a spar-less "mattress style" kite) performs similarly, in a slightly lower wind range.

Oh, and they're quite fun to fly as well
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Last edited by Tonystott; Feb 21, 2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: tpyos
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:04 PM
Troy
Marion, MI
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
I did a bunch of testing last year with kites, although they are not aerial photos they will give you a good idea on size of kites used for KAP (for anyone interested). Looking forward to more photos.

The triton is by far my favorite, the tail simply makes it fly at a lower angle.

The Flow Form 30

Flow Form 16 and Tritan.

Some of the most fun I've had is during KAP.

Troy
Envision is offline Find More Posts by Envision
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:36 PM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
I use a Sutton Flow Form 16 with two 15' tails (one on each side), just like your bottom picture from Troy. The tails make it nice and stable, so it's like an anchor in the sky. I just attach the real to something, or hold it between my left (I see comments already), and focus on the camera up in the sky as it's hanging from the Picavet suspension. Currently my camera mount will only pan, however I am working on a tilt version. Although there are ready to buy camera mounts, I prefer to build my own, since I can customize them for weight and accessories. My current rig has a Kodak V530, but that's changing most likely this week, when I'll switch it over to a Fujifilm A235. The new camera has easily accessible A/V port so I'll be able to "see" what the camera is seeing. All components have been tested and work flawlessly, it's just a matter of switching everything over.

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:31 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
Vas,
You in Sac?
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan