SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:37 PM
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
715 Posts
Question
Questions about Fly-Fly jets

I am relatively new to jets, and after a few small ones, I would like to try something larger. I have decided on one of the Fly-Fly 90mm jets, and have some questions to ask.
1. How do they fly, and are there and problems with the stock fan and motor? Would the Cheng Sun 12 blade 90mm be an option?

2. Which one flies the best on a low-end power system (1500ish watts)? I don't have the budget to drop $300 for a 2000+ watt setup.

3. Who should I order from? I am in Canada, and don't feel like paying the exorbitant customs fees on stuff from the US. I was going to order from Hobby88.

4. Anything else I should know? Mandatory mods?

Thanks
-NG
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:51 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,515 Posts
I all honesty, Fly Fly has some decent flyers and it has some turkeys. Basically with all of them, you get a box with a foam airframe, a fan housing/impeller and fixed landing gear that will most likely bend on it's 1st landing.
The Mirage is probably the best flying of them all. I've had one of those as well as a F-100. The F-100 was really slow in a 1700 watt setup. The Mirage was closer to jet like performance.
Although it may hurt your feelings to lay out a few extra dollars, Freewing has some of the best EDF's available right now. A plug and fly Stinger 90 is a bargain in comparison.
Chances are, if you take some time to add up the components needed to finish a FlyFly (add for servos, motor, ESC etc.) you will find yourself in the same price range and still not hove something all that great.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:51 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,717 Posts
The MB 336 is a good easy model to fly on 6s batteries....depending on how much experience you have in modding foamies will determine whether you want to buy Fly Fly jets....they are cheap frames but if you read the associated threads of the Mirage / Sabre / MB336 , etc. they do take a bit of work to get them airworthy. As Bill in the previous post has suggested Freewing make excellent quality planes ready to go & well worth the investment & particularly piece of mind.
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:57 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,374 Posts
I have to agree that Freewing is far superior quality and design, however the Flyfly line of 90mm jets are great models that will require some building skills and common sense upgrades.
My first was the F86 which flew well on 1800watts (6S and an old Freewing fan/motor combo). The original flyfly retracts were a nightmare as were the supplied alloy legs. I later converted it to a Changesun 12 blade fan and a 1400kv motor for 6S which flew it beautifully until I had a RX battery failure. The EPS foam didn't survive the crash but it did save most of the hardware! I later built the F100 and it flies great on 7S with the same CS fan and 1400kv motor. I switched to the large electric servoless retracts and Hobbyking alloy legs and have had no retract problems since.
Recently I built the Hunter and F4 Phantom with 6S CS 12 and 14 blade fans and used the medium sized electric servoless retracts along with alloy legs from HK. No problems at all and both great fliers in the 3kg range. I also have the Mirage with a CS fan and 1500kv motor on 6S. Although it may be a good flier, I personally like the Hunter better as it is easier to see and lands slower and more predictably.
Hobby88 is a good place to order from and I've had very fast shipping (5days).
All my FF planes have carbon fiber wing spars added along with improved landing gear mounts. Often I've moved the main gears closer to the CG for better ground handling and easier rotation on takeoff. Easy to do with foam.
The Fiberglass Flyfly hawk is also a very nice project if you want something a little faster (and expensive). Due to the higher weight, you will need an 8S setup which drives up the cost.
Lots of choices, but I'm running out of FF jets to build having done all that I like!

I have a number of threads here and on RCCanada that may help you.
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,479 Posts
I agree that FlyFly models will require building/modding skills. Ignore the fan and undercarriage that comes with them - they're rubbish. Source a quality power/electrics setup and undercarriage appropriate to your flying field. Since I have been flying off grass of variable quality, I mostly hand-launch and belly-land.

With a bit of work, they're good models - just don't pay too much since you'll be doing a lot of the work.

Dan's RC Mirage (1 min 27 sec)

Sabre 20120101 (1 min 29 sec)

Dans RC Fly Fly F4 Phantom 90mm EDF Maiden (1 min 18 sec)

RC MiG-29 90mm EDF 3rd Flight short (1 min 31 sec)
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:37 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,339 Posts
Yeah hobby88 is the best deal on FF jets. Have a looke at the 80mm. Freewing jet over at motion rc. By the time you put the money into a FF to het to flying great, you couls have bought the FW ready outta the box with good equipment.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:59 AM
Peter S.
Austria, Sbg., Salzburg
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
Hi NG,
there is also the possibility to take the FlyFly Mirage, a CS70/12 with an 6S motor like DrMadThrust or CyclonPower with about 2.200kv or eflite BL32, build without retracts is about 2Kg, flies great with awesome sound! Have a look to my YouTube canal:

FlyFly Mirage 2000 (4 min 28 sec)

easy installing and changeing EDF:
ChangeSun 70/12 Schnellwechselsystem (1 min 12 sec)

Greetings from Austria
Peter
HPS52 is online now Find More Posts by HPS52
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:36 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,374 Posts
The FlyFly fans and shrouds have changed over the years but I think the 1500kv FlyFly motor would do a fine job with the supplied fan (on 6s) for the lighter flyfly jets. The same motor is a decent match for a Changesun 12 blade on 6s. The only thing is you will have to take the time to static balance the rotor and then dynamically balance the motor and fan together.
PS Having tested the FF 1500kv motor in the CS 12 blade fan recently I found the performance on the weak side. X-flight sells a "Changesun" 1600kv outrunner which provides between 1800-2000watts on 6S (depending on battery quality and C rating) which is pretty good.
Learning how to set up your own fan is a rewarding experience that won't cost more than $15 if you use the stock Haoye style fan that comes with most kits recently. It actually sounds good once balanced.
Decent power for most of the FF jets except the F100 and composite Hawk (assuming you don't add a lot of weight by fiberglassing or styrospray).
Last edited by 4stripes; Dec 24, 2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added comment regarding FF motor compared to CS 1600kv motor
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:01 PM
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
715 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I was planning to go with the CS fan anyways, and will probably do that and the Hawk or the F-4, or get one of the Freewing 80mm jets.
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:48 AM
DEATH PONYŽ
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2013
214 Posts
Building a F100, Any links for the retracts or Gears? Im doing a CS12 with a arc 36-65-1 on 5S, I hope. The motor is rated for 85A but most run 120A on this set up. Suggestions? How much flight time are you guys getting?
UH_60_UAS is online now Find More Posts by UH_60_UAS
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:00 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH_60_UAS View Post
Building a F100, Any links for the retracts or Gears? Im doing a CS12 with a arc 36-65-1 on 5S, I hope. The motor is rated for 85A but most run 120A on this set up. Suggestions? How much flight time are you guys getting?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124911
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:21 PM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Mons
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
a f 4 would be not a good choice for a first edf jet especially flyfly one,as this one has up tendencies once u're go full throttle (with no mods)
no big deal here , but ,there'are other ones in the family without this problem
i have /had all that flyfly jets ,and , to me ,the best ones are

1-mig 15 fir the scale behaviour and easy flying, best flyfly jet ever
2 mirage 2000 for speed and lightweight and behaviour
3 hawker for nice scale take off and landings capacity
4 f 22 and f 4 for speed ( but with jepe jet mods only )
the other are slower and some of them need more power because of their drag profiles ( f 100, f 86 ,hawk etc..)

the other ones are good too but those are ,again , to me , the best ones
gianni sanchez is offline Find More Posts by gianni sanchez
Old Dec 24, 2014, 04:09 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH_60_UAS View Post
This is what I used. The Main legs need to be drilled open to 5mm mounting pin (simple enough).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=28975
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=28976
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25499
Old Dec 24, 2014, 04:40 PM
DEATH PONYŽ
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2013
214 Posts
Your the best! Slowly digesting al the info.. Im hoping to run a 5S 6600 with CS12 ny arc 65 56 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
UH_60_UAS is online now Find More Posts by UH_60_UAS
Old Dec 24, 2014, 07:18 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,374 Posts
I'm not sure that will be the best combo for the F100 as it tends to come out heavier than most 90mm Flyfly jets. It is easier to get higher watts with higher voltage/cell counts and a lower kv motor. I'm running 7S with a 1400kv motor (XK4074-B-1400). My motor is modified with holes in the end caps and heat sinks added outside. The outer casing is ground thinner to make it small enough to fit the motor mount.. Probably easier to use the SK3 1500 motor which fits the shroud better. It's 8mm shaft is also a plus but you need the CS 8mm adapter.