HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:46 AM View Post
pavcon
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). It is temporarily hidden while pavcon edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:46 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I still believe otherwise btw.. for two dollars more for each elevator you can go a lot safer
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Nitro L-39

Herb,

I will be receiving my nitro planes L-39 this Thursday, I couldn’t pass up the price to my door $184.00. I want to say thanks for the very detailed build up of your jet. I haven’t got much from some of the other forms talking about this one. I will rebuild the retract first when I start on my build. I was going to use wire for the gear and save some bucks and weight with the electric retracts I already have. I was planning on a 6s CS 12blade setup for it and I will watch the trust line, it should be straight to the fuse line correct and not point down? I’m not looking for a rocket till I find out if I can handle it and not destroy it. Have you been using flaps and landing at slower speeds like 30-40ish? Also you mentioned that it only needs half of what is stated in the manual on ailerons throws. What about the elevator throws? Every vid I see on it everyone lands it super fast. I thinking I will need to beef up the gear a little more than you did just in case. I have been training on a sport jet 70mm that comes in pretty hot. No experience with a heaver 90 yet. The F-105 Thunder chief I built my brother has been flying I designed the gear mounts and it took a carrier style landing one time and all held togather. I want to get there so bad and I have a fleet of jets that I love to build. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeff
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Oct 03, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmeano_from_MO View Post
Herb,

I will be receiving my nitro planes L-39 this Thursday, I couldnít pass up the price to my door $184.00. I want to say thanks for the very detailed build up of your jet. I havenít got much from some of the other forms talking about this one. I will rebuild the retract first when I start on my build. I was going to use wire for the gear and save some bucks and weight with the electric retracts I already have. I was planning on a 6s CS 12blade setup for it and I will watch the trust line, it should be straight to the fuse line correct and not point down? Iím not looking for a rocket till I find out if I can handle it and not destroy it. Have you been using flaps and landing at slower speeds like 30-40ish? Also you mentioned that it only needs half of what the stated in the manual on ailerons throws. What about elevator throws? Every vid I see on it everyone lands it super fast. I thinking I will need to beef up the gear a little more than you did just in case. I have been training on a sport jet 70mm that comes in pretty hot. No experience with a heaver 90 yet. The F-105 Thunder chief I built my brother has been flying I designed the gear mounts and it took a carrier style landing one time. I want to get there so bad and I have a fleet of jets that I love to build. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeff
is the sports jett foam or composite?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Herb,

I will be receiving my nitro planes L-39 this Thursday, I couldnít pass up the price to my door $184.00. I want to say thanks for the very detailed build up of your jet. I havenít got much from some of the other forms talking about this one. I will rebuild the retract first when I start on my build. I was going to use wire for the gear and save some bucks and weight with the electric retracts I already have. I was planning on a 6s CS 12blade setup for it and I will watch the trust line, it should be straight to the fuse line correct and not point down? Iím not looking for a rocket till I find out if I can handle it and not destroy it. Have you been using flaps and landing at slower speeds like 30-40ish? Also you mentioned that it only needs half of what is stated in the manual on ailerons throws. What about the elevator throws? Every vid I see on it everyone lands it super fast. I thinking I will need to beef up the gear a little more than you did just in case. I have been training on a sport jet 70mm that comes in pretty hot. No experience with a heaver 90 yet. The F-105 Thunder chief I built my brother has been flying I designed the gear mounts and it took a carrier style landing one time and all held togather. I want to get there so bad and I have a fleet of jets that I love to build. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeff
Hi Jeff thanks, yes you are right on track ...

There were four major items that needed to be addressed, and which I tried to discuss in some detail above.

(1) The weak retract mounts, (2) the wrong CG, (3) thrust angle problem, and (4) weak springs in the CMP struts.

The weak mains mounts is by far the most serious one ... The throws are easily corrected. It lands fairly slow once
the CG is right (see my video on youtube under kA-dTD7JRDU ).

The thrust angle issue caused me some trim problems on the maiden (climb on full power, dive on power off) and was later completely corrected by changing the thrust tube angle and some very slight extra elev/thrott mixing (now no power on/off trim changes).

I did land it without flaps a few times, no problem. It is a heavy airframe though and will NOT land like a foamie You have to keep a reasonable speed.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Oct 03, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:57 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Herb,.... I will watch the trust line, it should be straight to the fuse line correct and not point down? ... Thanks Jeff
Incidentally, this person (Juergi) has found apparently exactly the same thrust angle problem on the CMP L-39 (sold by HK as the L-59) ,

See post # 59 :

http://translate.google.com/translat...%23post2903624
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:10 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Nitro L-39 kit

Thatís the one I got Herb,

Well I got it yesterday and guess what the box arrived looking like an accordion. The fuse was the part that must have supported the whole box standing in its end because it was bent at the backside of the canopy area to the point it creased and split the glass where it folded. The wing at both ends also got damaged. I really bummed so I sent pics of the box and how it arrived and the damaged parts inside. I hope Nitro takes care of me. I have had good luck with other kits and pats I have gotten from them in the past so we will see it they replace everything damaged which is just about the whole kit. I will keep you advised and looking forward to get this one started.

Jeff
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:21 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Jeff, that's quite unfortunate

I would fight it out with Nitroplanes until they replace the whole thing, or the damaged parts.

The problem lies originally with CMP who does a very poor packing job, nevertheless NP should have inspected and/or repackaged the whole thing to ensure safe mailing.

Here's a thread by my friend Steph on various Nitroplanes horror stories re. the CMP T-45 :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1343999&pp=100

As I said, I would fight it out with NP to the bitter end.

Nevertheless, I ordered three CMP items from them (T-45, CMP Spit) and they arrived unscathed; I guess I was lucky

PS. I got my L-39 from Aerodyne, back then it arrived double-boxed with wood reinforcements between the inner and outer box.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
USA, VA, Martinsville
Joined Apr 2006
41 Posts
Herb was wondering what would be the difference in the fan you are using and the stock fan in this bird? Is the stock fan useless or did you just want a faster bird? Thanks and you have a great thread here.
hooker53 is offline Find More Posts by hooker53
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Hi everyone,
just got mine Albatros and checking whatīs in box along with CS12bl/1600kV unit. Thanks you all for detailed information and experience, and I sure like to keep you posted about my progress and experience too. Wish to be ready for maiden early Spring time 2013.
thrustjet is offline Find More Posts by thrustjet
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:31 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker53 View Post
Herb was wondering what would be the difference in the fan you are using and the stock fan in this bird? Is the stock fan useless or did you just want a faster bird? Thanks and you have a great thread here.
Hi, Thanks

My L-39 at the time did not come with a fan ... I ordered it from RC Aerodyne.

I used a WeMoTec Midi Pro fan, now you can get the new HET 650 motors that fit the WeMo like a glove, and are very well made. The HET, CS-5bl, Ejets etc. 90mm fans would work well too. Just keept it LIGHT.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Hi, Thanks

My L-39 at the time did not come with a fan ... I ordered it from RC Aerodyne.

I used a WeMoTec Midi Pro fan, now you can get the new HET 650 motors that fit the WeMo like a glove, and are very well made. The HET, CS-5bl, Ejets etc. 90mm fans would work well too. Just keept it LIGHT.
Hi Herb
Looks like this thread never stop!
Have been flying sea planes and running my boats this last few months
Have not fly the M 309 yet
Will built another jet this winter
Peter
1moparman1 is offline Find More Posts by 1moparman1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:41 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Nitro L-39

Herb,

Follow up on my recent order from Nitro’s CMP L-39 90mm kits that arrived destroyed in shipping. First of all I fully documented it with pic’s of how it arrived and parts busted up. I promptly called and opened a tickets with Nitro’s customer service. First they said I would have to wait for the claim with UPS to get settled then I would get a new kit shipped. I was not happy with that response so I let them know that it was not acceptable and I provided them with everything for there claim with UPS, its not my problem anymore, UPS picked it up and shipped it back. I'm please to say that after contacting Nitro through RCG’s and mentioning a few names from here along with being in close communication with Nitro’s staff I got an immediate refunded to my pay-pal. Then the next day I re-purchased the kit at the same discounted price and I got it yesterday in great shape. I must say I was concerned about dealing with Nitro with this situation but Nitro took care of me great. I want to thank Nitro for the great service they gave me and want to also thank Allan in tech and Sarnia in sales at Nitro.

Herb I’m looking forward to doing some of the needed mods and getting this great looking kit in the air. Do you mind if I post my mods here on your build log or should I move on to the HK L-59 build forum?

Jeff
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Cool
Another one in the works
1moparman1 is offline Find More Posts by 1moparman1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
Quote:
That’s the one I got Herb,

Well I got it yesterday and guess what the box arrived looking like an accordion. The fuse was the part that must have supported the whole box standing in its end because it was bent at the backside of the canopy area to the point it creased and split the glass where it folded. The wing at both ends also got damaged. I really bummed so I sent pics of the box and how it arrived and the damaged parts inside. I hope Nitro takes care of me. I have had good luck with other kits and pats I have gotten from them in the past so we will see it they replace everything damaged which is just about the whole kit. I will keep you advised and looking forward to get this one started.

Jeff
I can't believe they are still sending out these jets with packaging like this. Nitroplanes is not the only one. I would have bought an L-59 from HobbyKing by now but till something happens with the packaging I will be happy flying their SU-35 which comes well packaged. Actually I got it from Banana Hobby since they were out of stock at the time.
SU-35 flat spin (1 min 22 sec)

I do miss my L-39 though; great flying jet
My L-39 inverted flying Markham Park (3 min 13 sec)

Wrecked due to the foolish pilot error of flying an 8S system on a 6S battery
Somebody kick me...

I believe the CMP BAe Hawk still comes with similar below par packaging but Scaleflying send me a new one and I did not have to return the damaged one; just sent them pictures.

Be careful though on receiving a damaged package; if you cannot give it back to the postman on the spot then take photos of the box before opening, if you do decide to open it, then take photos of the damaged parts like I did.

IMO the L-39 is more stable than the BAe Hawk.

Anyway I am posting here to let you guys know that HobbyKing has these retracts now in stock with the braking mechanism.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24333
urrl is online now Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Oct 19, 2012 at 09:42 AM.