SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by dag214, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:55 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Very cool picture, Thanks!

I travel out there about 4 times a year, but never seem to have time to see anything cool. I will have to see the carrier though.

Thanks, DAG
It'll be worth it, even if just for this project. There are barriers around a few things for some reason, but for the most part, it seems that you can get really up close and personal with the planes. I don't think they have problems with you touching them, poking your head in the intakes, etc. At least, nobody came up to me when I was doing it to shoo me away!
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:25 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,086 Posts
Quote:
and flew on the wing
don't they all?

the part I enjoy most about your builds is seeing the CAD photos and renderings. You are a master with 3DS Max!

I'm curious here - you mentioned in the -36 thread that you frequenty do your modeling on the road in the hotels. What kind of hardware are you using to model with?
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Even a brick will fly given enough power. Anything will get off the ground with thrust-to-weight ratios greater than 1:1, which are not uncommon at all in contemporary model aircraft. Many fly models by relying on brute power which is not satisfying to those seeking scale-like flight performance.

I think the expression "on the wing" is saying that the plane relies on having enough thrust to drive the wing well enough to generate adequate lift and fly with scale-like performance and maneuvering. If I understand Dag's comments, "enough" is somewhere in the 0.25:1 to 0.5:1 range.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:23 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
don't they all?

the part I enjoy most about your builds is seeing the CAD photos and renderings. You are a master with 3DS Max!

I'm curious here - you mentioned in the -36 thread that you frequenty do your modeling on the road in the hotels. What kind of hardware are you using to model with?
I just 3Ds max on my laptop. It is a bit slower than my Hal 9000, but works good.

And flying on the wing is a vintage concept now days, many have huge over power power systems that drag the plane through the air so fast it looks silly.'

Thanks!
Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:25 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Even a brick will fly given enough power. Anything will get off the ground with thrust-to-weight ratios greater than 1:1, which are not uncommon at all in contemporary model aircraft. Many fly models by relying on brute power which is not satisfying to those seeking scale-like flight performance.

I think the expression "on the wing" is saying that the plane relies on having enough thrust to drive the wing well enough to generate adequate lift and fly with scale-like performance and maneuvering. If I understand Dag's comments, "enough" is somewhere in the 0.25:1 to 0.5:1 range.
Spot on right, couldn't have said it better.

Cheers!

Dag
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,086 Posts
Quote:
And flying on the wing is a vintage concept now days, many have huge over power power systems that drag the plane through the air so fast it looks silly.'
It was more or less a joke. I understood what you meant...
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
It was more or less a joke. I understood what you meant...
I know you were joking, would be hard to hurt my feelings.

Rock On, and be safe.

Dag!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:53 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
453 Posts
So... I'm guessin you may want to stop by my neck of the woods again and check out our A-7?
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coptercptn View Post
So... I'm guessin you may want to stop by my neck of the woods again and check out our A-7?
Yep.

Thanks, Damon
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:14 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
I am slowly getting all the data I need to design the beast to as close as 100% scale as I can. On the C-130 design I found that by designing a full scale model of the airframe and then scaling to what I would build is the best way for scale. I was lucky enough to get TO on the C-130, so drawing that 100% to scale using the Station Lines, Water Lines, and Bilge Lines I can get a airframe very close. But this takes a TON of time. My B-36 was a huge learning curve, as was my B-29. But now with the A-7 I am going to do this as close to scale as possible regardless the time invested. The B-36 is my biggest priority period!, but this design will get ramped up when I can't spend my free time on the 36.

Attached is a wing panel with SL/WL. I will pull all of this into CAD, then design the wing from this.

Thanks, DAG
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:21 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
I have been swamped with work. And I am getting nothing done on anything, but late at night when everyone is asleep I do get to play on the puter and design.

Here is a cool 3D of my gear design.

The wing design, which covers the folding, and leading edge device is looking cool. I will post those soon.

A 7D Gear 3D Test (1 min 27 sec)

Thanks, Dag
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:09 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Here is a hint at a crazy thing I might attempt, and the intake and exhaust is .12% bigger than both of the fans area.

DAG
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:33 PM
United States, MA, Swampscott
Joined Apr 2008
31 Posts
2 X 70 mm EDFs?
magillag is offline Find More Posts by magillag
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:25 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillag View Post
2 X 70 mm EDFs?
I'm guessing 2 X 127mm from looking at the size of the hole in the bulkhead of the original video.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:07 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
I'm guessing 2 X 127mm from looking at the size of the hole in the bulkhead of the original video.

- Birger
Yep!

Dag