SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
Gallery
35mm edf development + mig 21 prototype testbed

Hi everyone. Iv recently got back on the horse, after years out of the hobby. iv been playing around with some umx models and fixed up a few of my old hacks to get my flying back up to scratch, while also looking into greater power for my micro edf stuff. Luckily i could piggy back off the achievements of more imaginitive modelers like the wise one, nitrocharged. What a legend he is!

After seeing what he managed to do with an edf 30 and the motor from the skyangel 35mm jets i quickly found myself one of their f18s as an organ donor. (If anybody can direct me to a source of these motors i will be forever grateful)

long story short the f 18 flew like a dog log , needless to say it got gutted right away, so i started playing with rotors to get a system together quick, but my motor quit on me before i got it built into a working powertrain so i guessed it was time to take the bull by the horns, while grasping the nettle and seizing the day!

After a week of using all my playtime working out how to dismantle the motor and training my brain to count windings and keep orientation of everything going on the commutator i finally got the motor working again, for some reason my esc wouldnt run the motor when i terminated the windings in the delta config. maybe need some advice on timing etc. so i decided to go with 6 winds of .315mm wire, terminated in the y config. This gave me just over 140g of thrust, ( aeo 40mm 6 blade rotor, reduced to 35mm and 3 blades) aiming it at my kitchen scales, i mounted it to the scales pushing down too, and got similar results.

wev been planning to build a 70mm edf powered mig 21 for years so i figured this was a great time to prototype it. as small planes are so much more durable and simple to repair. also the equipment doesnt seem to get mashed in a stoof either. so i set about knocking one together after enlisting my fathers artistic talents. between us in a couple of days we made a 13 inch span foam and depron mk1 model. it ws immeditely apprent it needed a cheater hole. something iv never used before. as the fan was struggling in the duct. once i cut the cheater, the difference was huge and the thrust was lot more encouraging so i measured it by blowing it at the scales again. over 90 g constantly with nano tech 370 3s pack drawing just under 7amps. all up weight, 111g.

anyway while i was writing this out the morning fog cleared enough for me to go and give her a maiden flight in the field next to my house. my brother filmed it so once i work out how to post video footage il stick it on here for your entertainment. time to make her pretty now i think! stay tuned for pics and film!

Yours truly
Buck Rogers
darealbuckrogers is online now Find More Posts by darealbuckrogers
Last edited by darealbuckrogers; Oct 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spellings etc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
so heres the pics we took before i glued the turtle deck and canopy on. i figured these are pretty self explanatory for anyone who makes planes. the fuse is hot wired foam, the surfaces are 6mm depron, sanded to a contoured section. the ventral fin and rear turtle deck are burger/ chip box, which is about 3mm thick and similar to depron, maybe slightly harder.

i covered a few places with tissue and easy coat like the horizontal tail surfaces for stiffness. and the wing and tail root fillets, to hold them on the fuselage better. control is by fixed tailerons, im not a fan of ripping my all flying tails off cos i get carried away doing a lovely hi alpha landing. nothing worse to spoil your buzz!

im definitely going to activate the rudder as the plane is long enough to stick her nose out in the turns, i feel this will smooth her manouvering up nicely.

video to follow!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 04:55 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
I think i worked out how to upload video! The model is pretty lively in pitch as you can see! its a right handfull til i switch to lower rates. i used big throws cos i know they can save you if its nose heavy. roll control was crisp and nicely responsive. sorry the end of the video is missing! im new to editing and didnt realise it would remove more than i wanted to. il get more footage when the weather clears up again. in the meantime im gonna activate the rudder and make a shock cone for the intake, i reckon i can afford a few grams for covering and paint too. hope you all enjoy watching!

Regards
Buck
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:06 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
maybe not!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:16 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
i think iv got it right this time! fingers crossed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUVECEVLKw
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:27 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
success! good job iv got no hair. i would av torn it out trying to work all that out! it was easier to re-wind a motor! oh yeah the landing is on the end of the other vid on my channel. just be prepared for little bit of spicy languge right at the end!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:55 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Great work

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealbuckrogers View Post
success! good job iv got no hair. i would av torn it out trying to work all that out! it was easier to re-wind a motor! oh yeah the landing is on the end of the other vid on my channel. just be prepared for little bit of spicy languge right at the end!
Its fast

That would be fun to take off a road

and land back on

with tiny wheels about 10 mm diameter
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:19 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NX-687 View Post
Its fast

That would be fun to take off a road

and land back on

with tiny wheels about 10 mm diameter
Why thank you very much! it certainly moves fast enough to keep you excited and yes it really lands beautifully. I cant wait to get the feel of it so i can milk the high aoa approaches. i might leave the rog experiments to a larger size version as i dont think i have a place smooth enough for it to get to a decent speed. it would be like a dream come true to have scale edf models this small, with this kind of performance, retracts and a place i can fly them! maybe il get braver and try putting the cart off my umx habu and try taking it off over by the garages where the two guys are standing in the full length clip with the landing, like i do with my umx su26 and p40. i dunno if the mig would get to speed, also if anybody returned home in a vehichle at that moment she would be roadkill!

Its tempting though! Thanks for posting!
Regards
Buck
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:27 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,285 Posts
Gotta cheer any scratch built micro that takes flight. It's a labor of love and a bit of self torture. Congrats on the maiden!!! Well done!

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
Thanks Ksqm. it was quite a test of my patience at a couple of points. the motor winding was a steep learning curve and really tested my fiddling skills. my arms kept cramping up, earning me the new nickname "T rex".
the airframe was super simple, but the reciever gave me a bit to think about. i decided to be a skinflint and cannibalize the brick outta my old, dead, E flite blde cx2. it was easy to find which part was the reciever and bind it but i had to trim off the pins and solder wires directly to save space! it was so fiddly, my smallest soldering iron felt like a golf club. its not over either cos im putting rudder on her. Thanks again for the pat on the back buddy!

If anybody is interested i could whip up a sheet of shapes to print off for the surfaces and hotwire cutting templates.

Buck
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:36 AM
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
416 Posts
Great little jet, nice work and she flies great!
meerkat13 is online now Find More Posts by meerkat13
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Sep 2014
58 Posts
Thanks meerkat. It still wants a little tuning but its got great potential for sure! shes open for surgery right now to install a rudder. i might even drop a wind on the motor and see if i can get the current up near the 9 amps continuous my lipos can handle. she will get small, fast then!