HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2014, 12:24 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,815 Posts
Discussion
New "MAV" using Gluonpilot2

Hi all,

It has been a while since I posted here (I started out building small UAVs in 2005/2006) but "icebear" hasn't been inactive - family and kids have just taken time from posting hobby stuff.

Anyway, this season I have been trying to build the smallest practical UAV ("MAV"?) around the Gluonpilot 2 from Tom Pycke in Belgium - I have been a Gluonpilot enthusiast ever since its first incarnation in 2010.

The Gluonpilot2 is slightly smaller than its predecessor and I asked Tom to supply a unit without connectors to save weight.

This summer I found E-flite's C-RAY180 to be just of the right size for a small UAV and here are some specs;

- CRAY 180 wingspan 550 mm
- 180-size, 2500Kv brushless outrunner (Eflite 180)
- Gluonpilot 2 with internal 5v regulator
- XBEE downlink with special lightweight hookup (thanks to Eddi in Germay!)
- Hitec rx with shrink wrap instead of plastic casing
- Adafruit lightweight GPS board
- JETI 4A ESC
- Hitec HS45HB lighthweight servos (the standard ones made noise)
- Hyperion 2S-450 mAh battery
- AUW approx 150 grams with battery

Finally, after some really windy weeks I have been able to test the GP2 in the C-Ray ”MAV” and the result was great from the start - it flies fast for such a small airframe (50 kph) and tracks superbly. Really cool to see such a small airframe performing exactly as its bigger 1 meter cousins...

Below are some pictures of the track from the GCS and the airframe and now it's time for the surgeons' knife to make a really neat installation with all electronics embedded in the foam and a proper sealing for the electronics.

Will post more results when it is done. And thsi airframe would make for a good challenge – a 150 gram "Lighthouse Mission" if you have followed my yearly UAV adventures out to our local lighthouse 1 mile off the coast…!?

/Bjorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 07:05 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,051 Posts
Excellent! Yeah, I've followed your adventures over the years, especially the rather gripping adventures out to the lighthouse! Would be fascinating to see something this tiny make the trip for sure.

Good work and glad to see you posting here again (maybe I should finally post some of my adventures...)
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Sep 07, 2014, 09:26 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,815 Posts
Thanks philthyy! And yes, please post something abut your won adventures - would be fun to hear about!
/BJorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear