HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
Question
Rc Nitro car drifting?

I have watched lots of videos on rc cars drifting but the are all electric car. I am looking to get an electric car for drifting however i have alson seen another car the is nitro for a couple quid extra and was wondering if i would be able to drift in it ?
thanks
CodeBlack is offline Find More Posts by CodeBlack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:14 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Drifting just requires hard slippery tires, doesn't matter what power plant is pushing it. Nitro is a big pain in the butt though, a lot more cleaning and you'll spend lots of time tuning the engine.

Electric you'll just have to plug in a battery and go.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:38 AM
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
Thanks because you saying that makes more sense of why i am seeing all the drifting videos with electric cars.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
btw its a rally car so will it drift ?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:24 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Anything will drift if you put drift tires on it, they're much harder than normal tires and don't have much grip at all.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:31 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
A couple of things.

I've never needed hard drift tires to drift. You simply need enough power to break the tires loose, then the throttle / steering control to keep it drifting. Drift tires do make it easier to drift, but much harder to hold a straight line when you don't feel like drifting. Traction for stopping? Forget that! It's all about Newton's Law. I've never really cared for hard slicks

A few weeks ago, I bought a nitro rally car. It's an HPI WR8 3.0 Abu Dhabi. After break-in, I turned the HS needle 1/8th turn CW to lean it out. Took all of two seconds and it screams like a banshee. It is also a superb drift machine, even with the squishy Michelins that it came with. Just as it should be! Rally cars were drifting long before today's street drifting became so popular.

Cleaning it after a few runs in the street takes a few wipes down one side of the body and around the engine block with a paper towel. Other than that, my electrics get just as dirty inside as my nitros do and I spend just as much time cleaning them. My 1/8 scale buggy is the nastiest vehicle ever to clean after a few runs. I spend more time cleaning than I do running it and... it's electric!

Electric, or more specifically, brushless / LiPo power is quicker, cleaner, and superior in almost every way but nitro is still a lot of fun. The noise, smell, engine tuning and extra complexity of a nitro vehicle is very appealing to many people.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:50 AM
Joined Mar 2013
111 Posts
Because electric drift cars are better than nitro thats why most drifter run electric rc car fo best drift.
charles gray is offline Find More Posts by charles gray