SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2013, 03:22 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,469 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Radian pro vs Durafly Dynamic-S

Hey guys Ive been looking at some gliders to buy and my choice has come down to 2 the hobbyking durafly Dynamic-S or the Parkzone Radian pro obviously the Radian is going to be more expensive but can you just tell me some + and - ?

Cheers Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Apr 2002
494 Posts
Ben..

Have you seen these gliders fly or had the opportunity to fly either of these gliders?

I ask because you are asking for a comparison of two very different e-gliders
with differences that completely transcend the initial costs.

The Radian Pro is primarily a "full house" (4 servo wing) capable e-glider designed for climbing to altitude and then staying aloft by hunting for thermal lift. You have the ability to control the reflex and camber of the wings trailing edge to maximize your speed between thermals (reflex) and to increase the lift of the wing (camber) for thermaling. The flaps can be utilized for excellent landing approach control. While capable of mild aerobatics this is not the Radian Pros forte. Well tuned and in experienced hands the Radian Pro is a very impressive value in a thermal glider.

The Dynamic-S (or ST Blaze) is a foamy "warmliner". It is designed to make rapid climbs to altitude followed by more aggressive aerobatics and exciting speed runs. The Dynamic-S is much more responsive than the Radian Pro, and though I have seen a Dynamic-S thermal this type of glider is more suited to slope flying than thermal lift. It's important to note that the Dynamic-S will not "fly itself". It goes there you point it until you tell it otherwise.

Both the Radian Pro and the Dynamic-S require some experience to extract the most from them.

So, your first decision is which type of flying do you want to do?

Secondly, to maximize the performance of the Radian Pro you'll need at least a modern 6 channel radio. The Dynamic-S can get by with the most basic of 4 channel radios, although dual rates and exponential control will be very helpful.

If you're an experienced pilot and want to get into full house thermal gliders the Radian Pro is a good starting point. Similarly, the Dynamic-S is a good low cost entry point into the warmliner category.

You should also consider the availability of spare parts. Parkzone has a well established dealer supply chain with excellent parts support. HK / Durafly is getting much better with parts support from the US warehouse but HK has yet to rise to the standard of Parkzone.

If I were recommending a first e-glider to a beginning pilot my recommendation would hands-down be the classic "regular" Radian. The best buy in a thermal
type e-glider around. A well tuned and well flown Radian can be competitive in local ALES contests and is so popular in some areas that the Radians comprise their own competition class.

Hope this helps a little.

:harry
harrye is offline Find More Posts by harrye
Old Apr 04, 2013, 02:55 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,469 Posts
Wow helped alot thanks maybe i'll go the Radian pro
Or just the normal radian. I am a fairly good pilot I can do basic aerobatics and I own a DX7s so the 6+ channel radio would not be a problem. I haven't had any experience with flaps or thermal
gliders so maybe the average Radian would be the go?
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:21 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Dynamic-S looks exactly the same as Hype WOW!

A friend of mine had the wow and it flew better than expected. Very user friendly, easy to handle entry level warmliner. Power enough for vertical climb and very easy basic aerobatics. The foamy construction is a bit flimsy for serious action in any case and the surface and lack of rigidity limits maximum speed.

For "experienced" pilot I would recommend something else than a foamie for first glider. Foamie is a flimsy toy no matter it being radian or what. That said a good foam plane flies better than it looks but it looks really sad imho.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:19 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
I have the regular Radian and love it, but then I am also becoming increasingly interested in gliders, so am shopping for upgrades. I found this video of Paul Naton explaining how he modified a regular Radian to fly more properly and has actually won first place in ALES competition against much more sophisticated (expensive) sailplanes. I have friends that owned the RP and didn't like it, but I suspect they just weren't flying it to its capabilities.
Parkzone RADIAN Modification Clinic.mp4 (31 min 53 sec)
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
348 Posts
OP I had recently been looking at similiar gliders. I ended up buying the ST Blaze (identical to the Dynam-S) mostly because it was way cheaper (~$106 shipped from Tower). I wasnt really sure how much I would like flying a glider so cheaper won out. All I can say is WOW it is a blast, I had it built in about 20 minutes and flying the next day. I havent been able to thermal it much, I did chase some hawks around who were out thermaling. So far flights have been shoot straight to alititude and plummit back to earth with some rolls/loops thrown in. I still look at the Radian's and will likely bite on one of the two someday.
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Apr 04, 2013, 02:22 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
The thermalling capabilities of the original Radian can't be beat for the price. I also fly a Supra, 2m Sprite, a recent model F3B plane, a Blaster and a Stobel, I'm constantly astounded at just how well the Radian performs. Our club has recently been overtaken by them, and with an altitude limiter they are a great recipe for inexpensive single class comps - even if it's just last man down wins.

If you'll get bored by thermalling, or if you are in an area with lots of wind, the Radian might not be for you. Otherwise I reckon it's the biggest bang for your buck in Soaring.
areid is online now Find More Posts by areid
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:58 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,133 Posts
The normal three channel Radian is the best bang for the buck in e-soaring. The Radian Pro isn't worth the hassle.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
I must agree about the 'basic' Radian. I have one , and it is a blast. Many clubs are using them as trainers.
Konamack is offline Find More Posts by Konamack