Discussion
Phoenix On Older Machine?

Hi All:

My ancient machine's specs are:

Windows XP Pro w/Service Pack 3

AMD Athelon XP3200 @ 2.21 Ghz

1 Gb of RAM

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700.

Not worried about being able to run all the eye candy maxed out... just wondering if it will handle the basic graphics and physics so that I can use it as a tool to help muscle memory/etc.

This same machine ran Real Flight 4 okay... but I sold that program (silly me) some time ago.

Thanks for any input.
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:45 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
To successfully use Phoenix, you will need the following:

• IBM-compatible PC computer with 1.0 Ghz Pentium 3/4 or AMD Athlon/64 compatible processor

• Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system
• 256MB system memory (RAM)
• 1.5 GB free, uncompressed hard-disk space*
• ATI Radeon 9800/NVidia Geforce Ti4200 with at least 128MB memory
• Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or higher
• DVD-ROM Drive for installation
• 1 free USB 1.1/2.0 port
• 100% DirectX 9 compatible sound card (optional)

Or alternatively:

• An Intel-based Apple Macintosh computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7 under one of the following systems:

• Bootcamp (recommended)
• VMWare Fusion (latest version)
• Parallels (latest version)

More information on using Bootcamp can be found here on the Apple website.

Phoenix does not run on older non-Intel Macintosh computers, or the Apple OSX operating system.

Phoenix is supplied with its own USB interface which must be connected to the training port of a compatible radio/transmitter in order to successfully control the simulated models. Some makes/models of radio may require an extra adaptor. A full list of compatible radios can be found below:

• All JR MC/MX (no adaptor required) - ** MC-series requires "DSC Interface" Accessory **

• Spektrum DX6 / DX6i / DX7 / DX7S / DX8 / DSX9 / DSX10 / DX10t / DX18 (no adaptor required)*

* Please note that the DX7 Special Edition "SE" version is not compatible with Phoenix

• Spektrum DX5e older-style with SIDE training port ("DX5e adaptor" required)

• Spektrum DX5e new-style with REAR training port (no adaptor required)

• All Futaba ("Futaba/Hitec round" or "Futaba square" adaptor required)

• Futaba FX-18 with 2.5mm stereo training port ("Futaba FX-18" adaptor required)

• Hitec Aurora (no adaptor required)

• All Hitec except "Aurora" ("Futaba/Hitec adaptor" required - "Aurora" requires no adaptor)

• All Multiplex ("Multiplex" adaptor required)

• All Sanwa RD and RDS series ("Sanwa adaptor" required)

• E-sky ETB41 2.4 ghz (no adaptor required)

• Other E-sky ("Mini-DIN adaptor" required)

• Co-Pilot ("Mini-DIN adaptor" required)

• Blade CX, CP, CP+, CP Pro – ("RTMAMINIDIN - PHOENIX MINI-DIN (ESKY) adapter" is required)

• Blade CX2, CX3, CP Pro 2, Blade SR – no adapter is needed

• Parkzone Transmitters with training jack ("DX5e adaptor" required)

• Art-tech 100B (no adaptor required)

• Art-tech 100C ("Art-tech 100C adaptor" required)

• Walkera 2401, 2601 (Using "MINI-DIN adaptor" supplied with transmitter)

• Walkera 2402, 2602 ("Walkera 2801 adaptor" required)

• Walkera 2801 ("Walkera 2801 adaptor" required)

Please note that the following transmitters are not supported:

• USB controller devices and joysticks
• Spektrum DX7 "SE" version (This radio has no training output for R/C simulators)
• Hobbyzone transmitters and any transmitter included with ParkZone or E-Flite Ultra Micro products
• All Walkera except 2401, 2601, 2402, 2602 and 2801 (see above)
• Any other transmitter without a compatible training port
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:18 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
450 Posts
Hi Puzom

From the way that reads, there's a very limited amount of machines that can run it. (Note only two video cards are mentioned.) My machine seems to meet the minimum specs except for the video card.

Oddly, I find these specs concerning Real Flight 6.5:

Some graphical features may be disabled. Aerodynamic calculations will remain high quality.

Windows* XP, Windows* Vista™, Windows* 7 or Windows* 8
*Local administrator access required.

Intelฎ Pentiumฎ 1.0GHz or equivalent

512 MB RAM

7 GB Hard Drive Space

DVD Drive

3D Accelerated Video with:
32 MB Dedicated Video Memory
Full DirectX 9 compliant (Shader Model 2.0 or better)

Seems my machine would be able to handle Real Flight 6.5 at reduced settings, but not so Phoenix?

Bummer. I have Parkzone/Hobbyzone airplanes and wanted to be able to have the exact airplanes in the sim, which Phoenix can do, but Real Flight won't.

Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Bummer. I have Parkzone/Hobbyzone airplanes and wanted to be able to have the exact airplanes in the sim, which Phoenix can do, but Real Flight won't.
That is not an accurate statement. Real Flight can have any model you want it to have. (Phoenix can't )
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:07 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
450 Posts
jeffpn:

So I can import a Hobbyzone Super Cub, a Parkzone T-28, Parkzone's Albatros or SE5a into Real Flight? How'd you do 'dat?

Can airplanes be imported into Real Flight Basic?

I really don't mind not having all the eye candy available as long as the graphics are acceptibly realistic (i.e. not "blocky") and the physics are fully calculated, and the aninimation is smooth enough to use.

Oh, I also liked the idea of getting a DX5 with the Phoenix system... but hey... I KNOW that Real Flight (G4 anyway) will work on my old dinosaur of a computer 'cause it done did in the past!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Real Flight Basic can not be expanded to include new content. The full version of RF can use free planes from the swap pages, which can include any of the models you are interested in. If your desired model isn't available, you can make it yourself, or you might be able to intrigue a modeler to make it for you. Phoenix only allows you to fly the models that they make for Phoenix.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:45 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Hi,

Please do note that the specs I posted are the Minimum ones, meaning your system handles it fine. (3D fields will run slower, but Photofields work just fine)

Regarding models, indeed with PhoenixRC you can only fly the models the team creates for the sim. But a lot of setup options to change, so you can make any model fly like you want.
I have both RF and PhoenixRC. PhoenixRC does run smoother as the graphics quality is less.

You can try the demos of these two sims, RF one is interactive, PhoenixRC is a running demo only.

Looking at the price tag, PhoenixRC is cheaper and they mainly create Parkzone models.

Note, PhoenixRC PLANE physics are not the best, HELI physics are good.
RF PLANE physics feel a lot better, HELI on the other hand, less.

Cheers!
Last edited by Puzom; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I have a friend who bought Phoenix because he didnt like RF's heli physics. When RF6 came out with the huge heli overhaul, he never used Phoenix again. Your results may vary.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:46 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
I have a friend who bought Phoenix because he didnt like RF's heli physics. When RF6 came out with the huge heli overhaul, he never used Phoenix again. Your results may vary.
Yup as always a personal taste Still prefer PhoenixRC for helis myself.
Planes it's either Aerofly or RF, depending on which plane I want to fly.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:20 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
450 Posts
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Decisions, decisions!!!

Phoenix: The included Spektrum DX5 is a temptation point (who wouldn't want a "free" full-range radio?) as are the Parkzone planes.

Real Flight: Importing content is a plus, as well as possibly better physics for the airplanes.

Ah the fun of it all!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Yup Decisions, decisions!!!

No hobby-shop around where you can test it?
But really, download the demos, it might help a lot seeing it run on your system.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:49 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
450 Posts
Update:

The Phoenix demo would not install on my machine. (Corrupt download?) Spent hours downloading and am NOT going to try again.

The Real Flight 6 Demo did install on my machine. It ran plenty smooth enough and looked fine and dandy in my opinion.

Result:

Going to stop by HobbyTown USA on the way home from work tomorrow afternoon and if they have Real Flight, going to purchase it. If they don't have it, I will order online.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Congrats on the choice

Check http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php for some Parkzone models, like the T-28.

Cheers!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:59 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
450 Posts
Thanks Puzom!

Found the T-28's and have them downloaded. Doubt they'll be "spot on" in regards to physics/feel (consumer grade sims just can't do that)... but it will certainly be better than taking off "cold turkey" with my new T-28!

My old Real Flight G4 helped me "learn" the basics enough to where I was able to solo my HZ Super Cub and fly it to date with zero incidents/repairs. Sims ain't perfect... but they sure do help!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Doubt they'll be "spot on" in regards to physics/feel (consumer grade sims just can't do that)...
Then what are we doing here??