New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2015, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by SteveR
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,246 Posts
Discussion
Safety TIps for Tug Pilots

Guys, I always dread the prospect of flipping the wrong switch on tow and creating havoc.

Here are two TX programming tips you might want to consider:

1. Program the choke switch so it only works when the engine is at idle. I used a logical switch to accomplish this.

2. Program the engine kill switch so it only works at idle. You can accomplish this a number of ways e.g. flight mode, etc.

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2015, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by bhchan
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,611 Posts
I use the knobs for these functions. That means you will not hit it by mistake!

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 12, 2015, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by fishbed
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Simplest option is to have the choke operated manually only and not from Tx - therefore it can only be opened or closed when the model is on the ground and stationary. I also put my engine kill function on a rotary knob which has to be rotated well past the mid-point before the ignition is killed. I would have to be very clumsy indeed to operate it by mistake and so far I have never been that clumsy.
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed
Old May 12, 2015, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by fishbed
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Preventing towline interfering with tail

On a completely separate safety issue I would be interested to know from tow pilots what steps they take, if any, to prevent the towline fouling the fin/rudder and taiplane/elevators. I generally fit a tensioned wire, usually monofilament fishing line, from the top of the rudder/fin to the edges of the tailplane which acts as a 'fender' and stops the tow line getting trapped in between or around any of the moving control surfaces. The photo of my 1/5 Pawnee empennage shows the arrangement. I am not sure if this is really necessary or I am just being paranoid and wonder what experience or ideas others may have to offer?
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed
Old May 13, 2015, 07:26 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,246 Posts
You're not paranoid, Fishbed. In aerotowing, if it can go wrong, it will. I use the same setup as well. The other tug destroying option is to snag the towline on an immovable object, typically as the plane comes in to land. I lost 2 tugs this way. Not fun.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by dufek paul
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Aug 2011
282 Posts
So this is why a wise man invented an automatic Tow Winder.No I see said the blind man.Paul
dufek paul is offline Find More Posts by dufek paul
Old May 13, 2015, 09:48 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,246 Posts
Yes, indeed. And to make matters worse, the blind man was too lazy to install an AutoWinder in the last tug that was destroyed because the line snagged on a tree branch. Talk about the cobbler with kids with no shoes! Never again.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by bhchan
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,611 Posts
Steve,

Do you own a chainsaw? :-)

Guys used to drop the towline before landing, but that took more time to pick up the line and rebook both the tug and the towee!

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 13, 2015, 10:19 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,246 Posts
No chainsaw but I was able to pick up a 100# sack of agent orange on eBay!
Old May 13, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by Seadog
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
832 Posts
OK, I admit I'm not a tug pilot, but isn't putting the kill switch on a rotary knob, sort of "out-of-the-way", counter to using it as a safety (emergency, like right now!), function? Not trying to start an argument, just asking!

Dave Smith
Seadog is offline Find More Posts by Seadog
Old May 13, 2015, 11:17 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,246 Posts
Dave, your point's well taken but everything's a tradeoff. Personally, I put a higher priority on not accidentally killing the engine vs. taking more time to deliberately killing it. I'm sure if you ask 6 pilots, you'll get a variety of opinions.

Steve
Old May 13, 2015, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by justhuman
Let me fly in Green Air
United States, WA, Union Gap
Joined Aug 2008
132 Posts
I have been towing for over a decade and have found this to be true. Keep it simple. The choke is operated manually with the release switch located on the top left of the transmitter. The engine kill switch located on the top right of the transmitter. The engine fail safe is tested each time the tug is assembled. That is with the radio system on and the throttle at full, turn off the transmitter, the throttle should go closed. If this is not the case reset the fail safe before starting the engine.
I too have snatched the tow lines on unmovable objects but have luckily only lost one tug to this.
The tail guides are necessary to keep the towline from over controlling the rudder servo on takeoff. My finger rests on the tow release until the glider is airborne as this is the most critical step in the tow. The turns need to be wide with the speed adjusted for the sailplane in tow.
If you follow this you will usually get a "Thanks, great tow" from the sailplane pilot on his release.
This is the best reward for being a tug pilot.
Gene
justhuman is offline Find More Posts by justhuman
Old May 13, 2015, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Joined Jul 2004
2,679 Posts
Over the years of enjoying this hobby ive found the bracing wires really aren't essential but a good quality rudder servo sure helps. Reguarding kill switches and chokes, I've always run my choke on rhe LH SLIDER with flaps on the RH and the kill switch lh upper panel with tge tow release on the retract switch but most importantly

ALL of my tow planes are THE SAME!!

haven't had an issue.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Last edited by Big Nuts 181; May 13, 2015 at 04:17 PM.