New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:58 AM
bmw111 is online now
Find More Posts by bmw111
Live Free and Fly
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Apr 2013
547 Posts
Rant
Great enforcement, FAA....

All this fear the FAA will crack down on FPV pilots is much ado about nothing. The FAA can't even enforce its regulations and FARS for licensed, highly regulated, supposedly "policed," commercial pilots.

http://qz.com/233165/the-pilots-of-i...es-of-the-air/

You think they're going to be roaming around the countryside collaring little Johnny flying a 1 lb foam plane in the park? All they will do is issue "regs/rules/etc." and use them in a court case if anything *really* bad happens. Just like marijuana laws, or millions of other "law" on the books. Only enforced when it's politically expedient or somebody in power gets PO'd enough.
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:53 AM
Daemon is online now
Find More Posts by Daemon
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,009 Posts
Man, that article reads like a witch hunt.
I know several commercial pilots, and they generally convey that
aside from the flying itself, it's a pretty miserable job. Underpaid for
long hours, horrible schedules, and bureaucracy. If they can take some enjoyment
from their job by snapping the occasional interesting photo from the cockpit,
then more power to them. At least they're actively looking out the windows.
As a passenger, I'd rather have a happy flight crew than a bored or
disgruntled one.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 AM
Rusty105 is online now
Find More Posts by Rusty105
Registered User
Joined Feb 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
All this fear the FAA will crack down on FPV pilots is much ado about nothing. The FAA can't even enforce its regulations and FARS for licensed, highly regulated, supposedly "policed," commercial pilots.

http://qz.com/233165/the-pilots-of-i...es-of-the-air/

You think they're going to be roaming around the countryside collaring little Johnny flying a 1 lb foam plane in the park? All they will do is issue "regs/rules/etc." and use them in a court case if anything *really* bad happens. Just like marijuana laws, or millions of other "law" on the books. Only enforced when it's politically expedient or somebody in power gets PO'd enough.
It seems the commercial pilots are of the mindset "Do as I say and not as I do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article
Not all pilots agree with the rule, and many donít appear to know its finer details. Some said the regulation is unrealistic and unnecessary, particularly on long-haul flights that last more than six hours. They would prefer rules that better balanced between managing boredom and the safety concerns of distraction.
OH, so you want a balanced rule Yeah, so do we!

So now we have pilots turning in drones, and drone pilots turningin commercial pilots.... What a mess, I only see it getting worse.
Rusty105 is online now Find More Posts by Rusty105
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2014, 03:06 PM
DanT is offline
Find More Posts by DanT
Registered User
DanT's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,532 Posts
One more for the FAA...
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...41119558?tc=cr
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2014, 03:06 PM
bmw111 is online now
Find More Posts by bmw111
Live Free and Fly
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Apr 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
It seems the commercial pilots are of the mindset "Do as I say and not as I do"

OH, so you want a balanced rule Yeah, so do we!

So now we have pilots turning in drones, and drone pilots turning in commercial pilots.... What a mess, I only see it getting worse.
I was quite amused with the hypocrisy on display, considering how many "real" or licensed pilots I've seen here on RCG say disparaging things about the FPV crowd. FPVers use 1 lb foam toys to take our sky pictures. "Real" pilots use 250,000 lb planes filled with hundreds of innocents to take their cool pictures. And they're worried about us?

One question for the commercial pilots: Where did all the UFOs go? Why aren't commercial pilots reporting UFOs anymore?
Answer: Because now anything they see or think they see is automatically labeled a "drone" and reported as such.
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:43 AM
kpinnc is offline
Find More Posts by kpinnc
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
588 Posts
Quote:
One question for the commercial pilots: Where did all the UFOs go? Why aren't commercial pilots reporting UFOs anymore?
Answer: Because now anything they see or think they see is automatically labeled a "drone" and reported as such.
Yeah, because no one calls your sanity into question if you see a drone...

As has been said already in this thread- what is most ironic about this article is that it won't convey the shock and awe to the public that flying a foamie at the park does. Even though THREE fatal accidents have occurred due to these crew members acting foolishly.

Makes me wonder why- but maybe it's because the public thinks someone who has been trained and licensed has the experience to decide when and if to deviate from the rules. That's just silly, but maybe that attitude will be one positive result after we all are required to be licensed? I guess we'll see soon enough...
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 06:12 PM
Deadstick 8409 is offline
Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Registered User
Deadstick 8409's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,129 Posts
So, in your estimation, is a pilot taking a picture in cruise a hazard?
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 07:54 PM
powerstroke01 is offline
Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Registered User
powerstroke01's Avatar
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Man, that article reads like a witch hunt.
I know several commercial pilots, and they generally convey that
aside from the flying itself, it's a pretty miserable job. Underpaid for
long hours, horrible schedules, and bureaucracy. If they can take some enjoyment
from their job by snapping the occasional interesting photo from the cockpit,
then more power to them. At least they're actively looking out the windows.
As a passenger, I'd rather have a happy flight crew than a bored or
disgruntled one.
lol no.
powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 08:55 PM
bmw111 is online now
Find More Posts by bmw111
Live Free and Fly
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Apr 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
So, in your estimation, is a pilot taking a picture in cruise a hazard?
Is an FPV pilot cruising their 1 lb foam "drone" 1 mile away at 800 ft AGL when the NAS ceiling/floor in that area is 4300/2300 a hazard?
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:57 PM
Silent-AV8R is online now
Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
Is an FPV pilot cruising their 1 lb foam "drone" 1 mile away at 800 ft AGL when the NAS ceiling/floor in that area is 4300/2300 a hazard?

FAA insists that the NAS extends to the surface. Don't confuse NAS with various levels of controlled airspace. FAA has authority over ALL airspace (their position) both controlled, and uncontrolled. Plus they now say all airspace is "navigable" because multirotors, etc. can use that airspace.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:06 PM
Deadstick 8409 is offline
Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Registered User
Deadstick 8409's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
Is an FPV pilot cruising their 1 lb foam "drone" 1 mile away at 800 ft AGL when the NAS ceiling/floor in that area is 4300/2300 a hazard?
Uh, where about do you reckon the NAS floor is 2300 or 4300 ft?

The FAA has a valid concern for BLOS flight, especially in higher traffic areas, but actually anywhere. There is no see and avoid with FPV, and the FAA cares very little about keeping a hobbyist happy and very much about keeping full scale collision free. Living both sides of the fence here, and I understand both sides pretty well.

At any rate, unless it is a populated area, 800 foot is perfectly in the realm for an airplane to be at.

As for the OP, no the FAA is generally not staffed to go looking for FPV folks. They are a pretty busy group. Don't give them a reason to come looking for you. Stay safe, stay smart. I would be willing to bet that there will be some notable prosecutions in the future of a few who do not stay safe/smart.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Last edited by Deadstick 8409; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:55 PM
bmw111 is online now
Find More Posts by bmw111
Live Free and Fly
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Apr 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
FAA insists that the NAS extends to the surface. Don't confuse NAS with various levels of controlled airspace. FAA has authority over ALL airspace (their position) both controlled, and uncontrolled. Plus they now say all airspace is "navigable" because multirotors, etc. can use that airspace.
Yes, I mistyped. I meant to say "controlled" airspace ceiling/floor. My point is still valid. A 1 lb foam drone at 800 ft AGL constitutes no hazard to any pilot staying within controlled airspace 2300/4300. If pilots stay where they're supposed to, and "drone" operators stay out of the controlled airspace like they're supposed to, this is a complete non-issue. But, as we all know, licensed, commercial pilots don't always follow the regs. And "drone" operators don't always stay within recommended guidelines. Which brings me back to the reason I posted the link to the article.
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:06 AM
Daemon is online now
Find More Posts by Daemon
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,009 Posts
Except in places where controlled airspace reaches to the ground, (class B, C, D around
the airport), general aviation can legally fly below controlled airspace, down to manned
minimums, which are 500ft above populated areas, and all the way to the deck in
unpopulated areas. Private pilots often fly low around the edges of major population
centers specifically to avoid entering controlled airspace.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:47 AM
Silent-AV8R is online now
Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,021 Posts
Here's another example of the FAA ignoring commercial operations:

DJI S800 Hexacopter Crash In the filming of Gold Rush (2 min 39 sec)
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2014, 04:07 AM
BCSaltchucker is offline
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
6,771 Posts
This Quartz article is too funny, must be some hyperbole. I mean I belong to a large (fullsize) flying club and we have a regular photo competition in the club magazine. They encourage pilots to take pictures while flying, and use phablets and iPads, and stream bluetooth music into the intercoms, etc. And I have even put a HD cam on my headset let it run so there is no messing with it - get video of landing phase without distraction.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion A great response to drones AMA & FAA Rocket_88 Life, The Universe, and Politics 8 Jul 26, 2014 09:19 AM
Alert FAA Enforcement flyingfitz737 FPV Talk 46 Jul 24, 2014 08:48 PM
Idea Great, light and CHEAP way to enforce Depron wings sir_clive Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 4 Mar 09, 2012 01:56 AM
Sold Enforcer 46" Gator Hull w/ 30cc Enforcer pro Mod Engine blade strike Boats (FS/W) 5 Mar 01, 2006 03:28 PM