Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Technomancer
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerobro View Post
No, it's not a problem. there's something like 30 channels on 27mhz.
Are you sure? Wouldn't you need to change the crystal still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berq219 View Post
I have a new quesion. Can me and my friend play together at the same time if we have two micros? This 27 mhz thing will cause problems?
I'm pretty sure the simple answer is no! However I believe LOSI used to sell different frequency crystals for racing with friends, but it is more than likely discontinued
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please ignore....... for now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by Andy2No
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,870 Posts
Is your Rally on 27MHz, berq219? When I bought mine, they only had the newer versions, on 2.4GHz. There are channels on that too (about 80), but switching is done automatically by the transmitter.

I'm not sure how many 27MHz channels there are. It's a fairly small number, because there has to be a fair sized gap between them to avoid cross channel interference - a lot less channels than on 35MHz or 40MHz, I think. The crystals used in my Micro T are just full sized Futaba compatible sets though, and they're very cheap to buy, e.g. on ebay.

I swapped mine out to try to get rid of a range problem, which helped. Using a different transmitter helped too. I'm using a cheap ERC clone of a Futaba 3PK, or similar. That lets me set the throttle range in the settings, and proper end points for the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
I was agreeing with you. Yes that one is power only, no balance.
Yep, I just thought I'd clarify my previous rant

Losi make some good things, but not all of the things they make are good, and some of the good ones are deeply flawed. The high prices gave me the impression they were making something really special, before I got into buying them, and that they tried to make things as good as they could possibly make them. Let's just say, I've revised that opinion.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by nerobro
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2003
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Are you sure? Wouldn't you need to change the crystal still?

I'm pretty sure the simple answer is no! However I believe LOSI used to sell different frequency crystals for racing with friends, but it is more than likely discontinued
I find it interesting, that the answer is simple and you and I come to the polar opposite conclusions. "racing with a friend, is just a matter of having a different crystal set."

I got a little confused, 27mhz is the 1-10 channels right? Thankfully, you can use neighboring channels without problem. i used to swap in my Mini-Z crystals in with my Losi crystals without a problem.
nerobro is offline Find More Posts by nerobro
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by Andy2No
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,870 Posts
I think the number of channels may be different in Europe, for legal reasons. There's also AM and FM sets. In this case, you'd need an AM set of standard size Futaba compatible crystals, and you can either go by channel numbers (e.g. 1-6) or frequencies (e.g. channel 4 is 27.145MHz, IIRC). The channel numbers have a colour too, so you can go by that (e.g. channel 4 is yellow).

Most of the ones you can buy match that description. The last set I bought cost something like £4 GBP (about $6 US), on ebay.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:51 PM
Technomancer
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerobro View Post
I find it interesting, that the answer is simple and you and I come to the polar opposite conclusions. "racing with a friend, is just a matter of having a different crystal set."

I got a little confused, 27mhz is the 1-10 channels right? Thankfully, you can use neighboring channels without problem. i used to swap in my Mini-Z crystals in with my Losi crystals without a problem.
The original question was will 27mhz cause an issue when racing with friends, to which you basically answered no worries you'll be fine. But what you neglected to mention initially is that you need different different crystal sets to race. Now these crystals can be difficult to get your hands on depending on where you live in the world, often with postage the price is comparable to a 2.4ghz RX+TX set which will beat the AM system hands down in just about every aspect.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please ignore....... for now
Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:56 PM
Technomancer
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by berq219 View Post
I have a new quesion. Can me and my friend play together at the same time if we have two micros? This 27 mhz thing will cause problems?
Just convert one or both to 2.4ghz, you'll love the extra freedom and range.

Cost to do so is about $30 - $40 if running a brushed motor too.

Brushed ESC with brake: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/F05427-RC...item3cf16e6e7c

2.4ghz RX TX combo available in all local HK warehouses: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...608&aff=720654

2s battery (Same connector as the ESC above and it fits in the stock battery compartment): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...906&aff=720654
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by valiantGLX; Mar 31, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by nerobro
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2003
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
to which you basically answered no worries you'll be fine. But what you neglected to mention initially is that you need different different crystal sets to race.
I hadn't even really thought about it. The fact that it's something that new users might not have ever seen never even crossed my mind. When I started in RC, crystals were the only answer. :-)

I did some looking, they're $6 per set on ebay.
nerobro is offline Find More Posts by nerobro