HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2002, 10:17 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
710 Posts
Wedgie Covering, or....tape vs film

I was looking around at all the posts for info on covering a Wedgie with film.....I wanted to keep my Wedgie as light as possible of course. I had a sample of Wedgie foam, and covered it with 3m spray..then Oracover.....I love the way it finishes it and covers up the support tape underneath.......is this going to be too heavy...is there another film that covers as well, but is lighter?.....any help or info would be appreciated! I guess I'm looking for a bit better looking finish than the tape provides!
thanks
Ralph Matile
rpm3 is offline Find More Posts by rpm3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2002, 09:39 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
I used Ultra-Coat on mine, I like it. I want to get another and use .75 glass and Polycrylic, or something like that, so I won't have to use strapping tape for strength. My current one had a case of the "flaps" so I added spars, making it too heavy now. This one is in the process of going Cox .049 to lighten it up some.
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
Old Nov 09, 2002, 09:46 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
710 Posts
Duane,
thanks for the reply.....
seems pretty slow on all the "boards"....people must be building today!

I just weighed my freshly taped (today) Wedgie. Its flying weight with 8/600's is 16.5 oz.

11.1 oz dry.

Do you know the weight of your Ultra coated model?
Old Nov 09, 2002, 10:02 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
When I first built it, with 7 cells, and a full size Rx, it was like 15 oz. and flew awsome! I don't know how much difference it weighed with my 8 cell, Tyco car pack (AA's ?) but it still flew great, then the spars, and repairs, it now comes out about 18 oz, and has to go almost wide open to keep from stalling, funny what only 3oz can do! I figure going glow will bring me down below the original weight, but no more soccer fields before work now.
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
Old Nov 09, 2002, 10:38 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
710 Posts
I know these Wedgies don't fly as they add a bit of repair weight.

I have one that I put a spar in....flying in at 17.5 oz with a speed 400....still flies ok.....but not like the one I had at 16oz. I just retired it and put all the "stuff" in the new one I finished today.

Thats why I really dont want to put Ultra Coat on for looks, if it ends up adding an ounce or so.....it wont be worth it!

Was hoping to see if someone else tried it with any success, and maybe I'd be able to calc the differnce between taped and Ultra Coat.

cya
Old Nov 09, 2002, 11:22 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
I Ultracoted mine. I just weighed it with an 8x600 and it came in at exactly 16oz. I did not put a spar in mine and the film helped stiffen it up quite a bit. I put coroplast winglets and elevons on it which probably added an ounce or so. This is also with a speed 400.

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Old Nov 09, 2002, 11:54 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
710 Posts
wowo

Matt,

thanks....thats the info I was looking for!

I have another Wedgie, that I just opened!
I will build it and cover it with UltraCoat. I still haven't been able to get any to 16 oz. All 4 have been a bit over ...(all stock)...my speed control could be the culprit....I like the Jeti 18, it has a switch (which I like!).....I suppose I could find a smaller one, but I use these for several other models.
thanks again Matt!

How about a photo!?!?!?
Old Nov 10, 2002, 12:41 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
I believe there are some pictures of it at http://www.yourzagi.com/covering.htm before I started abusing the poor thing Considering the abuse that I have heaped upon it I am convinced that covering a foamie with shrinkable film absolutely increases the overall structural integrity of the airframe.

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
Old Nov 10, 2002, 09:52 AM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
710 Posts
[B]Nice lookin Wedgie[/B]

Thanks....I think the Wedgie will come out a bit heavier with the film....I'll try the film, and let you know. If so, I may go to another type, lighter ESC if that happens.

I bought a blemmed Wedgie...minor defect, and guess I'll never know until I try! That should be the one!

Cya
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:04 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
I am taking a break from a larger more complex model and have a Wedgie ready to cover, just about. I keep wavering between Econokote (had some already) and SoLite/Litefilm, which I also have. The Litefilm should do well on foam with the low temp covering process, but the white Litefilm is pretty milky and not very opaque. Will have to decide by later today, because I want to cover and go fly!

I am building mine to fly and not to crash, so I am sticking with the balsa elevons and went to balsa winglets of a slightly different shape.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 10, 2002, 11:18 AM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
710 Posts
Wedgie Template

I plan on getting to the covering stage today, but with wifey 'n kids....probably not able to cover it.

I have been flying these Wedgies and having a kick in the pants. Cheap, pretty quick build, forgiving...etc...only negative..its hard to launch...

soooo....

Wedgie Template
One of the proceses in the construction that slows me down a bit, is the placement of the receiver and servos. Its not that I get totally bogged down.....but I measure..check...measure check....etc...

I think today I will make a template for those that I can just trace the outline of where to cut.....I wouldn't do this if I didn't plan on keeping the Wedgies in my "forever" fleet!

I bet I could make one in several uninterupted hours with a template and everything handy. Uninterupted....hehehh...yeah right....never happen....

I'll probably finish and cover next weekend!

If you have a scale handy...I'd be curious how it turns out and how much it weighs...what components you are using....photos would be nice!
cya
Old Nov 10, 2002, 01:53 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Quote:
I am building mine to fly and not to crash... -- Thomas
You know, that might sound like a silly statement to make but it's actually an important decision for me when I build a new wing. Some of them I'll build to fly, others are destined as screaming wings that I'll seriously push the envelope on and have some fun with it.

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
Old Nov 10, 2002, 02:17 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
710 Posts
build to fly not crash....

Nope, not silly at all.....I have 2 Wedgies that are for flying.......others have ended up for racing...of which I'm no good at (but have a blast doing). I swear the guys I fly with can fly inverted around a course faster than I can right side up.

All my planes start out as ones for flying......knowing full well some of them will probably end up for some tough abuse. These I try not to have any "emotional" attachment too. There are some I spend far too much time on to feel ok about crashing. So I'm a bit more careful with them. Once they are bent.....the "monkey's off my back", and they are good ones to improve my skills without risking a "pretty" one.

These Wedgies, although crashed, still fly amazingly well......I just retired my first one....and it looked like heck......still flew like heck too!!!......it was gettin just tooooo ugly!
cya
Old Nov 10, 2002, 02:28 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Quote:
it was gettin just tooooo ugly!
LOL. Yep.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 02:34 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
A model built to fly instead of crash usually contains and reflects a set of decisions that make the model lighter, instead of heavier and tougher.

A model built to crash usually has lots of coroplast, heavier EPP foam, extra strapping tape, heavier reinforcements, etc.

A model built to fly has lighter construction that may not be as crash resistant, but that will offer great perfomance on less power.

Nothing wrong with the heavy and tough approach if you are a beginner that wants to learn on their own, a low timer pilot seeking new skills at the edge of his envelope or if you want to fly full contact combat. Otherwise, I advocate building to fly, not to crash.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel