Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

Lumenier QAV500 V2 FPV Quadcopter

Splash

Version 2.0 Announcement

The Original QAV500 is known for its H frame design and dampening system that allows smooth jello free GoPro video without seeing the props in the frame. Version 2.0 is here with an improved design and features that allows larger motors and up to 12" props, a stiffer carbon fiber frame, and support for 3 axis gimbals. The frame is stiffer and includes an improved power distribution setup. You can choose from 4 different arm options; 540 or 500 size in Aluminum, 520 or 500 size in G10.

Learn more about the QAV500 V2 at Lumeniers website.

Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:56 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Wow, I'm the first to comment? Great! Here are my questions:

1) Is the 3-axis gimbal bracket compatible with the v1 500?

2) if I already have the 540 arms, will the v2 frame enable me to use larger props than having the 540 arms installed on the 500v1?

3) I won't hold you to it, but what's the estimated ship date?

Bonus question for the all-important double thumbs up: I love my v1 QAV 500 but it's difficult to hand carry when I'm taking shots on trails and places where the Pelican case is overkill, and because the silicon bobbins can break when I'm hand-carrying it if I'm not hiding it very gently. Is there a way I can transport it without breaking the bobbins? I'm getting a little jealous of watching my friends strap their vibration-prone quads to a backpack.

Bonus 2, because why not: Any chance of getting "endurance arms" for swinging a 16" prop? If you made them I would buy them.

Respectfully,
Justin
justinlee1 is online now Find More Posts by justinlee1
Last edited by justinlee1; Aug 18, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:02 PM
It got away...
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2013
1,393 Posts
Hopefully this isn't one of those frames that's never available...
Number2 is offline Find More Posts by Number2
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:45 PM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlee1 View Post
Wow, I'm the first to comment? Great! Here are my questions:

1) Is the 3-axis gimbal bracket compatible with the v1 500?

2) if I already have the 540 arms, will the v2 frame enable me to use larger props than having the 540 arms installed on the 500v1?

3) I won't hold you to it, but what's the estimated ship date?

Bonus question for the all-important double thumbs up: I love my v1 QAV 500 but it's difficult to hand carry when I'm taking shots on trails and places where the Pelican case is overkill, and because the silicon bobbins can break when I'm hand-carrying it if I'm not hiding it very gently. Is there a way I can transport it without breaking the bobbins? I'm getting a little jealous of watching my friends strap their vibration-prone quads to a backpack.

Bonus 2, because why not: Any chance of getting "endurance arms" for swinging a 16" prop? If you made them I would buy them.

Respectfully,
Justin
Hi Justin, thanks for the questions. I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

1) No, the 3-axis gimbal bracket is only compatible with the new QAV500V2 (there are some differences between the v1/v2 top plates)
2) Yes, you can reuse your 540mm arms you already have and just order the QAV500V2 kit without arms. It does give clearance for 12" props on the V2, where the original 540G was limited to 11" props due to less room in the front from due to the imbedded gimbal.
3) We are waiting on a few of the parts to come into stock, but we are estimating around 3-4 weeks. (possibly sooner, fingers crossed) (pre-order is open now)

Bonus: This new QAV500 V2 incorporates "Clean" / "Dirty" retainer posts which limit the travel of "Clean" and "Dirty" sections. These will keep the bobbins from tearing due to stretching too far, and they'll also assist in the event of a crash by reducing the chance of the airframe separating on impact. You can also transport the airframe without damaging the bobbins if you tether it down from the arms or "dirty" section. Check out this skier who strapped his original QAV500 to a backpack and took it up the French Alps. http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2013/01/09...e-french-alps/

Bonus 2: Nothing in the works for 16" props. However, we've achieved 25+ minute flight times with the 12" prop setup and 2 Lumenier 5200mAh 4s LiPos on a full gimbal/fpv QAV500 V2. So long flights are definitely achievable with the current components.

Hope this info helps!
surf1punk is online now Find More Posts by surf1punk
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Awesome, thank you. One follow-up regarding motors:

I've read that a contributing factor to your recommendation for using MT-4006 740kv motors was their excellent performance with 10 inch propellers.

However, let's say that I plan to purchase the v2 frame to take advantage of being able to use 12 inch props. Assuming the use of 4s batteries and the desire for a premium build with crazy long duration flight time, would your motor recommendations change?
Last edited by justinlee1; Aug 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:49 PM
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined May 2014
22 Posts
Quote:

I've read that a contributing factor to your recommendation for using MT-4006 740kv motors was their excellent performance with 10 inch propellers.

However, let's say that I plan to purchase the v2 frame to take advantage of being able to use 12 inch props. Assuming the use of 4s batteries and the desire for a premium build with crazy long duration flight time, would your motor recommendations change?
On my QAV500V2, I'm going with 540mm Alum. arms, 3-axis Gimbal plate, 11" T-Motor CF props and KDE 2814XF 775KV. I'll be using 2 x Lumenier 4S 4200 which should get around 20 mins with an AUW ~2640g fully loaded. The T-Motor props and the KDE motors are supposed to be very well balanced. I'm hoping for low enough vibes to hard mount the DYS SMART gimbal to the 3-axis plate. Theory is a happy balance between efficiency (flight times), low vibes for ultra-smooth video and good flight characteristics. Hopefully Tim or someone else from GetFPV will weigh in on this setup.
synrgp2 is online now Find More Posts by synrgp2
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:31 AM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
431 Posts
Quote:

Yes in the endurance test we did with the 12" props we used the Lumenier FX4006-13 740kv motors on 4s and they performed very well. The motor actually does quite well on 10-12".

synrgp2 - That sounds like a really nice setup, and yes I think you should be able to mount you gimbal directly to the plate. That is what we've done in our testing, and it has worked very well. I've not tested those KDE motors, so I can't speak for those, but it sounds like a good setup.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
311 Posts
Awesome, thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:08 PM
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined May 2014
22 Posts
Thanks! REALLY looking forward to building it. Omce I do, I'd like to come down and fly with you guys. Love Siesta Key!
synrgp2 is online now Find More Posts by synrgp2
Old Aug 21, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined May 2013
34 Posts
would the dji e600 propulsion kit work with this frame?
nico412 is offline Find More Posts by nico412
Old Aug 21, 2014, 04:18 PM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico412 View Post
would the dji e600 propulsion kit work with this frame?
It is possible that power kit could work, however that setup is made for a 6s battery. We've not tested a 6s setup, but I think it should be possible. It may give really good / efficient results.

synrgp2 - Sure, come down and give us a visit! Siesta beach is beautiful.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1punk View Post
It is possible that power kit could work, however that setup is made for a 6s battery. We've not tested a 6s setup, but I think it should be possible. It may give really good / efficient results.

synrgp2 - Sure, come down and give us a visit! Siesta beach is beautiful.
Okay, I'll look into it. will the power distribution board handle 6s?
thanks
nico412 is offline Find More Posts by nico412
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
The Sum of all Evils
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Apr 2014
27 Posts
that qav500 v2 is pretty sweet. I got to check one out earlier this week over @ getfpv's shop....yeah, i'll be ordering one!
Thrashie is online now Find More Posts by Thrashie
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico412 View Post
Okay, I'll look into it. will the power distribution board handle 6s?
thanks
Yes the PDB can support up to 6s. The on-board LED's are regulated automatically to 12v. Obviously just keep in mind everything else coming off the PDB will be at 22v, so you'll need to utilize the voltage regulator that is included for 12v power.