Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:07 AM
United States, NY, Oneonta
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Build Log
SHOREBOAT, by R L Brown

Well this is my first build log! So don't beat me up to bad.
Found these plans on ebay and thought it would be a good starter to work me up to that big tug! So I searched this site for info and found the same plans and the original magazine article which I did not have,a plus. See :Vintage Model Boat and Ship Plans thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...435002&page=12
post line 170 & 173.
I then started a thread to see if any one had built one or had info on a real one.
It came up dry.
So I will do it my way.
First change : Brown built a box for his running gear then built the boat around the box. I want to do electric so I want the interior open so I can work that equipment layout in later. Oh the orig boat was built in 1955.
So I will glue the keel to a building board with hot melt glue (so I can break it free later) and build the boat up like a full sized boat.
jbwfire is offline Find More Posts by jbwfire
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:10 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Nice start on the framing. And a mighty fancy hardwood floor in you workshop, too!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:42 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
Looking good.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,092 Posts
I have several downloads from the Vintage Boat thread on my "to do" list, but didn't recall seeing this one at the time. It looks interesting. Will follow your build.
Don
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=173
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,160 Posts

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
More completed:
If you look at the plans you will see a bottom deck.
I left that out and ran the bow bulkheads to the bottom ribs, this will let me run the floor of the boat up under the deck, some place to hide electronics.
Glued blocks to fill the bow and shaped no pix ? any other voids will be filled withe epoxy an microballons.
Braced up the bow bulkheads and ribs so I can bend the balsa around them, I hope! Well the balsa bent OK but became brittle when it drayed, anybody know why????
Planked the bow bottom with balsa strips, was going to do the rest of the hull that way as well to practice for the tug build but its so straight and flat I'm going with full size pieces.
Cut the slot for the stuffing box. Using a Dumas pt 109 drive assembly I got cheep.
I didn't like the way the way the sides and bottom bow came together at the bow so I cut a stem piece to fit the internal bow piece and glued it on so it's proud of the bow and bottom looks much better now (last picture of this set)
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:59 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,021 Posts
She's looking like a boat real quick.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
forgot a picture

one more
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
and some more work

Well had my first real problem with the build. I did a bench test of the motor and drive assy. and found a bad vibration, tried to make adjustments in the motor bracket but not much improvement. Spent a lot of time looking at other build pictures and verbiage on this stage of the build and determined my problem was the recycled metal motor bracket attached to the motor. So I made a new one from 1/8" plywood which is larger and enabled me to clamp it and make adjustments before screwing it in place (see picture below). And finding you can put a brass tube over the prop shaft and line it up with motor shaft was a great help also. Vibration is gone!!!!!!
Next problem the speed control. I got a probate ecs like the one I use in my speed boat well in this test it was clear that form 0 MPH to to fast was quit clear not right for this scale of boat. So I ordered a Mtroniks ecs it's just right I think, works at slow speeds you can control.
PS thanks to all who post this info for newbies like me to learn from.
Jeff
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
got time , a few more pictures
With the dry fit of the deck and cabin top I decided I will cut out a V shape behind the windshield from the deck, Brown did not do this in his.
I also just found I never took pictures of building the cabin top!sorry
But I will say I did build a jig from the plans , a rear view of the cabin top to get the side angles right. I also did not use Browns cabin supports, they won't look good and I just do not see where there needed.
I also think I will use a lip on the front of the cabin top to hold it to the deck, and magnets on the rear sides?

till next time Jeff
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,160 Posts
Lookin' good .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Decks on.
Canopy frame completed for the cargo area.
I got to buy a good soldering iron some day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next the canvas cover.
Last edited by jbwfire; Mar 17, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:01 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
Looking good.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,047 Posts
I did not know what a "SHOREBOAT" was but now that I can see it in 3D, I like it!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot