HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
141 Posts
Discussion
900mhz or 1.2/1.3 ghz

so guys i have money in hand and am about to make an order for some FPV gear and i have a few last minute questions before i do....my goal is 2-3 miles at the most....at least for now.....questions...
1. is 1.2/1.3 as capable as 900mhz as far as distance and penetration.....
2. is 1.2/1.3 goin to interfere with my 2.4 ghz RC Tx.....
3. if so will a low pass filter effectively reduce said interference without drastically reducing performance....
4. does 1.2/1.3 require a HAM license like the 900 mhz freq
5. should i get the fatshark dominators or the predator 2s....
6. i can add a haedtracker to the predator 2s can't i....i know there isn't a fatshark module for it but aren't there external ones i can use...
thanks for any help/suggestions guys....i really appreciate any help you can throw my way...
pugs2300 is offline Find More Posts by pugs2300
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:09 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs2300 View Post
so guys i have money in hand and am about to make an order for some FPV gear and i have a few last minute questions before i do....my goal is 2-3 miles at the most....at least for now.....questions...
1. is 1.2/1.3 as capable as 900mhz as far as distance and penetration.....
2. is 1.2/1.3 goin to interfere with my 2.4 ghz RC Tx.....
3. if so will a low pass filter effectively reduce said interference without drastically reducing performance....
4. does 1.2/1.3 require a HAM license like the 900 mhz freq
5. should i get the fatshark dominators or the predator 2s....
6. i can add a haedtracker to the predator 2s can't i....i know there isn't a fatshark module for it but aren't there external ones i can use...
thanks for any help/suggestions guys....i really appreciate any help you can throw my way...
I have 5.8 and recently bought an entire 1.2ghz package as well. I have never used 900, but have read it can have great interference if flown in the city because of wifi signals and cell towers: however, like I said, I have never used it and know nothing about 900.

Also, I ordered the 1.2 system from a guy off of rcgroups, and in that package is a 1.2 low pass filter for 2.4 to help out with signals and radio range, so I know there is a fix for that.

My friend has the Predator V2 and I have the attitudes. I love them both, if I wanted to try out another FS product I would get the dominators. I chose the attitudes over the dominators because of the head tracking, adjustable lens position, and greater field of vision. But, the dominators you can switch out the rx in them and they have glass optics.

I have not been in FPV gear for long, only about 4 months now, but I read hours upon hours everyday in the fpv forum and even though I am still a newb, I have learned a lot from the great caring members here at RCgroups.

Just my opinion. Also, when I needed help picking out the right gear. I asked McCleary off of the forums, he works at readymaderc.com and really helped me with the 100 questions I had. Great guy, great company at RMRC, and great service.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Last edited by Wrice4; Feb 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Cuz im a bad a
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrice4 View Post
I have 5.8 and recently bought an entire 1.2ghz package as well. I have never used 900, but have read it can have great interference if flown in the city because of wifi signals and cell towers: however, like I said, I have never used it and know nothing about 900.

Also, I ordered the 1.2 system from a guy off of rcgroups, and in that package is a 1.2 low pass filter for 2.4 to help out with signals and radio range, so I know there is a fix for that.

My friend has the Predator V2 and I have the attitudes. I love them both, if I wanted to try out another FS product I would get the dominators. I chose the attitudes over the dominators because of the head tracking, adjustable lens position, and greater field of vision. But, the dominators you can switch out the rx in them and they have glass optics.

EDIT....can i use the headtracker on the attitude goggles with a 9xr transmitter....

EDIT.......can i use the headtracker on the attitude goggles with a 9xr transmitter????
I have not been in FPV gear for long, only about 4 months now, but I read hours upon hours everyday in the fpv forum and even though I am still a newb, I have learned a lot from the great caring members here at RCgroups.

Just my opinion. Also, when I needed help picking out the right gear. I asked McCleary off of the forums, he works at readymaderc.com and really helped me with the 100 questions I had. Great guy, great company at RMRC, and great service.
first i looked into the predators....then i read that the dominators had a better image quality so i wanted them....then i read that the dominators didn't have adjustable lenses or headtracking and that kinda put me off of those ( dont want to be stuck with a set of goggles that make me cross eyed) so then i wanted to attitudes since they have the image quality of the dominators and also adjustable lenses.....the only set of attitudes i can find come with all the 5.8 Tx/Rx and i want to use either 900mhz or 1.3 ghz....is there anywhere you can buy the attitudes without all the 5.8 stuff.....
Last edited by pugs2300; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
141 Posts
can i use the headtracker on the attitude goggles on a 9xr transmitter.....??
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
141 Posts
ok i see i can use the headtrack if i buy another cable.....
i have 500.00
i want attitude goggles
and a 1.2/1.3 Tx/Rx and CP antennas....
not gonna happen is it....lol...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:15 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
first i looked into the predators....then i read that the dominators had a better image quality so i wanted them....then i read that the dominators didn't have adjustable lenses or headtracking and that kinda put me off of those ( dont want to be stuck with a set of goggles that make me cross eyed) so then i wanted to attitudes since they have the image quality of the dominators and also adjustable lenses.....the only set of attitudes i can find come with all the 5.8 Tx/Rx and i want to use either 900mhz or 1.3 ghz....is there anywhere you can buy the attitudes without all the 5.8 stuff.....
All of the Fat Sharks come with 5.8 I believe except for the DOM, which doesnt come with anything, you have to by between either 5.8 or 2.4. There is not a 1.3 for the dom. All you need to fly other than 5.8 on FS is a cable, its simple. Thats what I do when not flying 5.8. The attitudes do not have as good as image quality as the DOM, because dom has glass optics, but its probably something you cant even notice since you will be new to goggles. I absolutely love my attitudes. if you want head tracking for later use, just go ahead and buy the attitudes since its all built in.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:18 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
ok i see i can use the headtrack if i buy another cable.....
i have 500.00
i want attitude goggles
and a 1.2/1.3 Tx/Rx and CP antennas....
not gonna happen is it....lol...
Attitudes alone are around $370 I think, and a decent 1.2 - 1.3 system with blue beam anteannas is gonna run another $150-$200. Search in the classifieds on here and see if anyone is selling what you are looking for. Also, Bluebeams are not a must on 1.2/1.3 , like they kinda are on 5.8, so you could save some money now and just use the stock whips until you get a little more cash flow to spend. Dont get me wrong, IBCrazy's bluebeams are amazing. I am just saying, you can still be able to fly on the stock whips on 1.2/1.3 fine if you are on a budget.

The best reliable place to buy your stuff is at readymaderc.com. Go to starter kits and you can customize one.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
I just built this custom 1.3 package on RMRC with the attitudes, look.

Custom 1.3 FPV Starter Package: 1258/1280MHz US Version****

•Camera - None
•Video Transmitter - 1.3GHz 300mW
•Video Receiver - 900-1.3GHz Custom Ready Made RC Version
•TX Antenna - Standard
•RX Antenna - Standard
•Batteries - None
•Video Goggles or Monitor - FatShark Attitude Goggles (Bonus 5.8G TX)
•OSD - None
$485.66 $ TOTAL + shipping.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:28 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
I guess you still would need a camera though, you can find a good one for $30-50
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
141 Posts
how big a deal is it that the dominators don't have the adjustment for the lenses....seems like that would be a pretty important feature.....
also most of the stuff i want from readymaderc is out of stock...i must admit i am a little impatient when it comes to waiting on things i have paid for....i am in back order hell on hobbyking already so i don't want to open that door again if i can help it...
let me ask this.....if i was to get the attitude goggles with the 5.8 tx/rx what kind of range can i expect with that system....maybe i can just use that until i scrape up enough cash to get a 1.2 system......also another question....all the CP antennas i have seen say 1.3 and the tx/rx say 1.2....will these work together or do i need a 1.2 antenna for a 1.2 system...??
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:55 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
how big a deal is it that the dominators don't have the adjustment for the lenses....seems like that would be a pretty important feature.....
also most of the stuff i want from readymaderc is out of stock...i must admit i am a little impatient when it comes to waiting on things i have paid for....i am in back order hell on hobbyking already so i don't want to open that door again if i can help it...
let me ask this.....if i was to get the attitude goggles with the 5.8 tx/rx what kind of range can i expect with that system....maybe i can just use that until i scrape up enough cash to get a 1.2 system......also another question....all the CP antennas i have seen say 1.3 and the tx/rx say 1.2....will these work together or do i need a 1.2 antenna for a 1.2 system...??
I dont know about the dominators, you will have to ask someone that has them. In my opinion they would be a big deal because everyones eyes are different. I have been told that you cant really tell a big difference between image quality anyways so why not go with a bigger FOV with the attitudes?

I am the same way, when I pay for something, I want it then! haha, Check out hobbywireless.com, they are another reliable name. I started out on 5.8 and loved it, I still love it and use it, its just so portable and quick and easy. Range depends on everything. If flying a plane you can get decent range, but if flying a multi copter low then it will not be as good. All depends on weather as well. Check out some youtube videos of the different freq and range. I did what you are wanting to do. I stuck with 5.8 for my first set and now have enough money where I bought a 1.2 system.

I have noticed that as well about the CP antennas, I do not know the answer to that and have wondered myself. I hope somone else jumps in with another opinion. The more the better.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
141 Posts
well...crap....lol...
i was planning on FPVing the multirotor i am building first and then a plane.....sounds like it would be best to did it the other way around lol....maybe i should wait unitll i can just get both...sheww...decisions decisions....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:07 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
I fly my quad on 5.8, just dont fly behind houses or stuff. You can fly 5.8 on anything, just cant fly behind stuff because it doesnt penetrate. Check out a friend of mine on youtube, he has some amazing videos and he flies 5.8 on his quad. His youtube name is vegetoast.
Last edited by Wrice4; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
141 Posts
if i get a 1.3 Tx how powerful does it need to be to perform well...
also is this a "good" Tx http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...Z800MW_TX.html
and Rx http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/FPV13GHZ_RX.html
and camera http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...TV_HDNTSC.html

also i notice none of these specify whether they are 5v or 12v....the cam has to use what ever power the Tx puts out correct....how can i figure this out...
Last edited by pugs2300; Feb 22, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Yes to the Tx, no to the Rx.
That Tx actually only puts out about 600mW, but that's enough for 2.5-3 miles with omni
antennas in almost any environment, and 7+ with 10dB of gain on the Rx.
Get a Racewood Rx (tan box, 4 channels).

BTW, FPV is not for the impatient. Not any aspect of it, from ordering to building to flying.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member