HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:38 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,134 Posts
Earl,

This model does use a rudder servo!

It require that you use V-tail mixing on your computer radio, or an independent V-tail mixer unit, connected to channels 2 and 4).

Its function is that both servos work in unison (same servo direction) for rudder control (making one surface go up and the other down), and opposite for elevator control (both surfaces go either up or down).
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,679 Posts
I stand corrected, I had forgotten about V-Tail mixing. Usually for Q500 racing everyone does full throttle takeoffs, so you don't really need a rudder. When I used to do Q500 racing the Rudder servo was pretty much just dead weight in the plane.
I also forgot that the GP Viper Q500 plane can be setup with a optional mini-rudder by converting the long tail to one. So you could put a fixed tail wheel on the mini-rudder fairly easily.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1265-1266-manual.pdf
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:00 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
I may just get one and keep the V tail setup. What Engine would you guys recommend ? Correct me if I'm wrong but the high performance motors like a Jett don't like to idle much ? I saw a used Plane in a Hobby shop hanging for sale. Looked like it had been hanging for a while. Looks similar to a Ultra stick but more like a racer. 45" WS. With a JETT 40 for $125.00
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:28 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,679 Posts
Jett makes sport engines and all out racing engines. The sport engines idle fine.
A racing engine is no big deal, you just kill the engine and land dead stick. usually they use the throttle to kill the engine, since it doesn't idle very slow, it is easy to do. What you do is plan your landing approach and route, kill the engine, and make the landing. it is much easier when you can kill the engine yourself and not be surprised by it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,552 Posts
It would be fun if you all had 'One Design' airplanes. Maybe you could talk everyone into that.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:52 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
Ok. I still haven't got one yet and I'm still on the fence. I posted this asking about engines but now I'm looking for that perfect Plane. Basically a cross between a Ultra Stick and the Q500/Viper. I want the Aerobatic performance of the ultra stick but want to haul But. I'm going to start a new thread in the Airplanes/Fuel section.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:33 PM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,646 Posts
I have used OS 70 Surpass and Saito 65s on a fourty sized Stik. I also make the models tail draggers. Because of the big engines on the front, I also must add a lot of weight in the tail area to balance the plane. I place the battery as far aft as I can go, and sometimes mount the rudder and elevator servo in rear fuselage to off set the heavy nose.

But the plane will not go excessively fast, it will climb like made, do vertical rolls etc. The big fat wings just keep it from going fast. And I almost always end up flying the plane on low rates with maybe 30 Expo.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:39 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,679 Posts
Years ago I mounted a Fox .50 engine along with a Fox tuned pipe muffler onto a low wing Quickie 500 that I had built. I also put in retracts as well. Granted I could have used a faster engine, but at the time it didn't matter. Anyway I almost lost it once when I took the plane way out in one direction, turned around and had it do three slow rolls. By then it was way off out the other direction and I blinked and lost sight of it. I started to panic, but had the presence of mind to pull up on the stick and see what happens, and I saw the wing, so I could get it back then.

So maybe they aren't all that fast but they can be "fast enough" though.
RCG Plus Member