Joined Mar 2012
167 Posts
John.lille is offline Find More Posts by John.lille
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:45 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,099 Posts
Any issues with USB connector breaking off? It seem surface mounted and can break off like other boards.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:27 AM
Multicopters in Lille, France
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Lille
Joined Mar 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Any issues with USB connector breaking off? It seem surface mounted and can break off like other boards.
We don't have this issu until now. The surface mounted is very solid. A solid soldering depends on many factors during the production. Good machines, good tuning and adjustement. The USB connector is not a weak point at all.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
167 Posts
new video added
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Update

I finally had the time to sit down and get the problems I was having sorted out. One apparently was the DJI F450 frame and its built in power distribution board confusing the mag, the other appears to have been a bad motor and/or ESC. Once I moved everything over to another frame things got a lot better but I was still having stability problems with level, altitude, and position hold. I noticed that it seemed to be down on power and didn't sound like the motors were maintaining an even speed. At that point I swapped out both the motors and ESCs for a set that I know are good and that I usually use for testing purposes on larger frames. Once I did that the stability got a LOT better and there was just a bit of oscillation that needed to be addressed, that was taken care of by trying some different props until I found the best balance between stability and performance, currently a set of Graupner 10 x 5.

I did some tuning of the parameters and made a GPS shield from some copperclad circuit board I use to make FPV antennas and by late Friday had it to the point that the autolevel was working well along with altitude hold and position hold. I was planning a trip to the flying field to do some FPV flying with my TBS Discovery quads Sunday morning so I rummaged through the parts boxes and came up with a CMOS FPV camera and I borrowed the Immersion 600 mw video TX from my Cinestar, both of which I mounted to the Mutliwii frame. A quick test in the backyard to make sure that the vtx didn't interfere with the GPS reception and it was ready to go.

First thing I did at the field was a LOS test flight to make sure everything was working right. GPS position hold was working quite well just being pushed around a bit by the wind so I decided to try RTH and it worked, returning to within a couple feet of where the board was armed. RTH was very SLOW trying to move against the wind but that's something that can be tuned so not a big deal, the important thing was that it did come back to the home position.

It was a bit twitchy in the wind and unfortunately I couldn't make any changes to the settings as my netbook refused to run the Multiwii config program, works fine on the big laptop but refuses to run on the little one! This morning I reset all the parameters and did a little fine tuning and it's much smoother yet again, just need to tweak the position hold and yaw a little, otherwise it appears to be flying quite well.

The third picture above is the quad parked in altitude hold and position hold in the front yard, next time I have a chance to get out to a field to fly I'll bring the video camera and get some video of it doing its thing.

Ken
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I finally had the time to sit down and get the problems I was having sorted out. One apparently was the DJI F450 frame and its built in power distribution board confusing the mag, the other appears to have been a bad motor and/or ESC. Once I moved everything over to another frame things got a lot better but I was still having stability problems with level, altitude, and position hold. I noticed that it seemed to be down on power and didn't sound like the motors were maintaining an even speed. At that point I swapped out both the motors and ESCs for a set that I know are good and that I usually use for testing purposes on larger frames. Once I did that the stability got a LOT better and there was just a bit of oscillation that needed to be addressed, that was taken care of by trying some different props until I found the best balance between stability and performance, currently a set of Graupner 10 x 5.

I did some tuning of the parameters and made a GPS shield from some copperclad circuit board I use to make FPV antennas and by late Friday had it to the point that the autolevel was working well along with altitude hold and position hold. I was planning a trip to the flying field to do some FPV flying with my TBS Discovery quads Sunday morning so I rummaged through the parts boxes and came up with a CMOS FPV camera and I borrowed the Immersion 600 mw video TX from my Cinestar, both of which I mounted to the Mutliwii frame. A quick test in the backyard to make sure that the vtx didn't interfere with the GPS reception and it was ready to go.

First thing I did at the field was a LOS test flight to make sure everything was working right. GPS position hold was working quite well just being pushed around a bit by the wind so I decided to try RTH and it worked, returning to within a couple feet of where the board was armed. RTH was very SLOW trying to move against the wind but that's something that can be tuned so not a big deal, the important thing was that it did come back to the home position.

It was a bit twitchy in the wind and unfortunately I couldn't make any changes to the settings as my netbook refused to run the Multiwii config program, works fine on the big laptop but refuses to run on the little one! This morning I reset all the parameters and did a little fine tuning and it's much smoother yet again, just need to tweak the position hold and yaw a little, otherwise it appears to be flying quite well.

The third picture above is the quad parked in altitude hold and position hold in the front yard, next time I have a chance to get out to a field to fly I'll bring the video camera and get some video of it doing its thing.

Ken
Hi Ken,

Glad to hear from you and especially your quad flies well now! I learned a lot too with your text. Thanks for sharing your experience to MultiWii users.

We'll wait for your video.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
167 Posts
The next stock is in preparation. We'll reduce the back order period the next time.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,099 Posts
Can you reduce the price?
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Can you reduce the price?
+1 :thumbup:
HynX is offline Find More Posts by HynX
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HynX View Post
+1 :thumbup:
What's the best price for you? Please be reasonable.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.lille View Post
What's the best price for you? Please be reasonable.
90-100€ with soldered pins and GPS.
I think it is a reasonable price for You and buyer.
HynX is offline Find More Posts by HynX
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Jul 2012
13 Posts
Nice quad and good tune experience.
Hope to see the video soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post

Ken
Jalen is offline Find More Posts by Jalen
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:42 AM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
140 Posts
Hello,
I have not flown my controller yet. I got it with MegaPirate fw ready installed, and have just been toying around with the APM planner. The arrow on the board seem to agree with the compass, but roll and pitch axis have switched place. Where do I correct this?

Lars
LN-JET is offline Find More Posts by LN-JET
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HynX View Post
90-100€ with soldered pins and GPS.
I think it is a reasonable price for You and buyer.
Today it's just a little more than 100€ with the GPS.