HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 06:15 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Discussion
Lipo repair, possible?

If a balance plug wire comes disconnected from the battery is it possible to fix? Would it be as simple as just cutting the end open to reveal where it connects and solder it back on?

I wanted to ask before i put these on a charger b/c after talking to my dad he said its not possible b/c the metal would sink the heat before the solder could get hot enough to melt. He then said he had no experience with LiPos, just NiMH and with those they used a special type of arch weld almost.

Thanks for checking out my post guys, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 07:15 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,357 Posts
Yes it's possible simply to resolder the balance lead back in place if you know what you're doing. But you need to be very sure that you've worked out exactly where it should go or the result may be smoke and flames.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
I have done this repair successfully once or twice. After you complete the solder job I recommend you seal the end of the pack with hot melt glue. It insulates the connections, prevents further movement of the wires, and acts as a strain relief.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old May 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,554 Posts
Fixed broken balance tab wires many times, just be careful.

PS: The trick to preventing them from breaking is not pulling on them, #1 reason why they break off.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Dec 2008
344 Posts
I've recently had to repair a broken wire on two different batteries. One was the negative wire (black) and the other was the positive (red). I learned after doing the first one that if it was either the red or black to just cut back enough cover on the end of the battery to get at the terminal. Also, by trying to soldering it back without melting the solder that was originally there that it did not hold very long. So I just cut a slit about 1/8 inch long in the insulation of the wire, right at the soldered area where it attaches to the cell, and soldered the balance wire there. On the last one I put a short piece of electrical tape over the terminal before resealing the cover. So far they have held.

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old May 16, 2012, 03:24 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,819 Posts
My preference is to discharge the pack to 3.3V/cell before working on it to prevent a short initiated fire.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,650 Posts
I used to break the odd balance wire. I ended up bending the balance wire back over up against the batt. and taping it to the batt. with hockey tape. never broke one since.

gord
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
X 2 flypaper2
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old May 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
cool thanks guys...i got them from another member who sold them for 5 bucks a piece since they were "unable to be balance charged"
Old May 17, 2012, 01:49 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
I did the soldering and i think it went off without a hitch. I have a low voltage alarm the plugs into the balance lead... All the batteries read 3 cell and it tells me the voltage of each cell. I think that this means they are good to go, since it is directly connected to the balance plug.