HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
Flip rrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,540 Posts
Discussion
Airtronics RX500 and Other RX-XXX Receivers No Startup Bug

I had been fooled into thinking the Airtronics RX series receivers had a startup bug that drove servos out, some to the limit at power on startup. Well, I had previously used Hitec exclusively and when I got the RDS8000, started using other brands.

These servos, many brands, do not power up in a stable state. Hitecs do. See, when the RX500 powers up, it does not put any servo pulses out until it has completed initialization. So these other servos run to some particular place of it's own and waits for servo pulses from the radio.

The 17 Hitec's I tested remain where they are until they get a servo pulse, THEN move. This is great, those others sometimes go far out enough to crunch themselves or what aircraft system they move.

So after I did a recent build and used HS-81's with an RX500 I noticed the rudder, aileron, and elevator remained in place and didn't drive out like the others. So I got my storage scope out of storage (ha ha) and monitored the servo pulses to verify indeed, the Airtronics receivers are not driving the servos out and back like that.

I had made a few complaints about it and should have gotten the scope out sooner. Good luck soldiers, now you know what to do if your control system crunches on startup.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:21 PM
Flip rrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,540 Posts
BTW, I'm vrey glad to find this out. Those RX-XXX series receivers are so nice to you when your build is near complete and you are staring at the shadow possibilites that could cause loss of reception. It's very easy to wire an RX500 or RX600 etc. in because it has those two long antenna wires that you can stick out of the fuselage and escape practically any shadow on at least 40 sized planes.

I think two short antenna tubes (about 2 inches) that angle to the tail 45* each (=90*) just behind the wing, one on the top and one on the bottom, allows at least one antenna to be in line with the transmitter in about any way the plane is in the sky.

It's nice to not have to fiddle around with where to put the receiver.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop