HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
30 Posts
Discussion
Heading to the beach, any tips?

Heading to florida over spring break, private beach, any tips on flying a um t28 on a shore line, should I even fly, or keep it at home base?
Crob56 is offline Find More Posts by Crob56
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
I can't remember ever being on a beach that didn't have an offshore or onshore breeze, depending on the time of day. I'd leave it the plane at home and bring a kite.

Enjoy the time off.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
30 Posts
Even late?
Crob56 is offline Find More Posts by Crob56
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,332 Posts
Hey now,
The breeze may not be a problem early or late. But the sand and salt air could be a major problem. Sand could easily get into the motor and gear drive and ruin that. Also the ultra micros have open servos. You can easily get sand in those gears too and grind them right up. And then there's the salt in the air, sand, and water. If that gets into the electrical system, either airborne or transmitter. That can corrode the whole works very quickly.
I often fly slope gliders at the coast so I know about these problems. Unless you're willing to kill and replace the model and at minimum shorten the life of your transmitter don't do it. Dude was right. Just take a kite and have fun with that.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
Flying at the beach is awesome. Because the wind usually comes off the ocean, high winds are usually not a problem since it's very smooth and turbulence free. Make sure to clean the sand off you're plane though..
simo10 is offline Find More Posts by simo10
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Salt air kills electronics very quickly. Electrolysis may not show any signs for some time but eventually eat away at the electronics long after you leave the beach. The sand also has alot of salt in it.

If you insist on flying at the beach, keep you plane completely covered every minute you are not actually flying.

We used to fly at the top of a 175ft. cliff over the ocean, and everything started turning green in time, even that high and away from the water. Far worse close.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,445 Posts
I fly a firefly at the beach and it was great fun. After a weak my control rods were rusted. Nothing like flying with the gulls!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:55 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
bring a girl that looks really good in (or out) of a bikini, and leave the plane at home.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Heading to the beach, any tips?

BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP