HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:42 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
Before you start to shift things to the tail, you might want to just shim the gearbox to increase your mast angle. When I first flew mine, it felt a little nose heavy but I just added two washers to the front of the gearbox and that made it flew perfect.

Congrats on your maiden flight!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:56 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Before you start to shift things to the tail, you might want to just shim the gearbox to increase your mast angle. When I first flew mine, it felt a little nose heavy but I just added two washers to the front of the gearbox and that made it flew perfect.

Congrats on your maiden flight!
Joe
Hang-angle is 16 now.
I will put 2 washers under the gearbox.

Thanks!
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
Everyone likes their autogyro different, but I liked my DAG at about 16-18 degrees hang angle...try the washers first. You might end up only needing one, but try two and see how she floats...in a hop.
Joe
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:34 PM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Everyone likes their autogyro different, but I liked my DAG at about 16-18 degrees hang angle...try the washers first. You might end up only needing one, but try two and see how she floats...in a hop.
Joe
Yes, I would like a floaty one
So, if I tilt the rotor back a bit more I can achieve this behavior...

I will try soon, next time.

At the moment it flies very fast and I need almost full up elevator (20/30). To gain altitude by adding motor in, results in a slow climb
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:42 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
The further your CG goes rearwards the more sensitive the elevator will become and the more rearward tilt you add the slower the model will fly but more power will needed.
I am with Joe, add some washers and see how it feels. If you are still pulling back on the elevator then move the CG rearwards.
If you do both at once it may want to pitch up on take off, try one thing at a time.

Oh yeh....It looks great! nice work

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
This is the maiden of my DAG 60 many years ago....just go to 2 minutes into the video. It's flying like a race car and I almost smack it in.
60Sized DAG Autogyro Maiden Flight (3 min 30 sec)

Here's the second flight with the gearbox shimmed back with some washers....a totally different beast!
DAG AUTOGYRO Flight (4 min 18 sec)
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:53 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
The further your CG goes rearwards the more sensitive the elevator will become and the more rearward tilt you add the slower the model will fly but more power will needed.
I am with Joe, add some washers and see how it feels. If you are still pulling back on the elevator then move the CG rearwards.
If you do both at once it may want to pitch up on take off, try one thing at a time.

Oh yeh....It looks great! nice work

Regards

Rich
Quote:
This is the maiden of my DAG 60 many years ago....just go to 2 minutes into the video. It's flying like a race car and I almost smack it in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOS_...ZaDg&index=146

Here's the second flight with the gearbox shimmed back with some washers....a totally different beast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60G...ZaDg&index=145
Nice guys! I shimed it. I also shimed it on the right so that i can subtract all the left trim it needed at maiden.

I also should balance the rotor. Tips?