HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined May 2009
3,411 Posts
Discussion
Horizon/E-Flite Blade 400 Support?

Matt from Horizon Hobby Support says there's no warranty for their product other than it working right out of the box. So the Blade 400 motor bearing that failed after only 10 flights (hovers) is my problem - I need to go out and buy another motor.

Anyone have the phone number for the "awesome customer support" center? Obviously 1-877-504-0233 connects you to the "no customer support" center.

Total BULLCRAP!

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Apr 14, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
*Heli-oholic*
Ca
Joined Mar 2010
68 Posts
I think you need to call them back. From my experiences they have been exellent. My wife broke my dx6i and i sent it in with reciept and explanation and they sent me a new one with a reciever! I also got a batterry and esc for my b4000. Dont buy anything that breaks. Just send it in with a reciept and they will replace it for free.
DouBLeTapP is offline Find More Posts by DouBLeTapP
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined May 2009
3,411 Posts
Called them back. Spoke to somebody else. Had to explain that they're replacing all of the defective SR motors that only last a handful of flights, and oh yea, they're not coreless like originally advertised ... So, why not this one? Why not make me a satisfied customer?

They're going to help, but "this time only" as a "one time courtesy".

I really hope this is not what everyone else refers to as "stellar" customer support - if so their standards are WAY too low.

-John
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:46 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,376 Posts
I don't dispute your experience or your perspective, John.

But just try calling any of the others and even getting an answer, even if it's "no". Or even finding a phone number.

Nobody else replaces ANYthing unless the reseller elects to for customer satisfaction.

Horizon replaces BSR tailmotors because they are known to have a problem. B400 motors are not. That's all there is to it.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:41 PM
Joined May 2009
3,411 Posts
I know - My expectations were (unrealistically) high after reading other pilot's experiences here and on other forums with Horizon/E-Flite, even regarding the exact same problem as mine.

I wasn't ready for the "if you go buy a new motor that will fix your problem" response. I didn't call to see if buying a new motor was the solution. Just a little insulting, that's all.

I've been overlooking a lot of crap with this new B400 simply due to the fact that it's my first CP, I'm learning a lot of new things, and if a real problem surfaces E-Flite/Horizon will be there to help, not insult (so I thought). I may be an RC heli newbie, but I'm not new to ethical business practices or proper customer support.

Companies will treat their customers the way their customers allow themselves to be treated.

-John
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Apr 13, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:57 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,376 Posts
Oh I quite agree, no bearing should fail in 10 operations. And Horizon/Eflite does raise expectations, considering how much more they cost. I don't think they should have argued with you about that specific issue. If you broke the head, gear, tail, those are 'pilot-related liabilities'. Bearings are not.

Still, you won't read things like this about any other RC vendor: "My DX6i got caught in the rain and Horizon sent me a new one". That's where the reputation comes from. It doesn't mean that EVERY such incident will be underwritten, or even that every more-qualified warranty claim will (and 'rain' is not a warranty issue in the first place).

Fact remains though, by far most RC vendors won't even answer the phone, certainly not in English. If you can reach them at all the best you can expect is "mail it back to China at your expense and we'll see", even if it was stone dead out of the box.

Becomes a matter of proportion, in an industry where 'warranty' can scarcely be counted upon at all under any condition.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:33 PM
Joined May 2009
3,411 Posts
Thanks for listening

I agree other vendors won't even talk to you. But Horizon will, that's why I chose them.

And that's how they treated me.

Life goes on ...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:06 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
it use to be widely know that e-fite carries a one year warrenty on the 420 motor.
but this info now seems to be lost, but horizon has replaced two motors for me.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:49 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2003
304 Posts
Here are a couple of options.
1. Replace the bad bearing. It will probably cost at most $5.00 and will be a good learning experience. If your LHS has the bearing, it could be only a couple of dollars.

2. Replace the motor with something better/different. I am running a Scorpion HK2213-14 in a B400, and I promise you it is more than adequate for your current needs:
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...22/HK-2213-14/

If you plan to really fly helis, you better learn to fix them. I understand your frustration, but when you finally plant this baby, this will seem inconsequential.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun :>
brucewillman is offline Find More Posts by brucewillman
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:38 PM
Joined May 2009
3,411 Posts
Thanks for the motor link! I have the stock motor in pieces, but the outer race of the lower bearing is either glued, press fit, or otherwise fused to that block of metal. Haven't been able to remove it yet ... If I can sure a new set of bearings and this motor could work again.

I agree, it's supposed to be fun. But, at some point, you have to be able to "trust" the hardware long enough so you can spend 5 minutes working on your flying skills. I'm all about the mechanics & fixing & upgrading. BUT, when a product is sold as Ready To Fly it needs to be exactly that. Anything less is bait-and-switch.

And if requiring companies to produce quality products causes them to go out of business then good riddance. New blood will rise to accept the challenge.
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Apr 16, 2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
I am a little late to this thread, however, I just had Eflight replace my 420/EFLM1350H motor free of charge under warranty. I had a bottom bearing give out and the motor siezed up. I even took it apart and sent the motor to their repair site in pieces. Got a new motor in the mail!! Here is the warranty info on the 420 motor:

Quote:
Warranty Period:
Exclusive Warranty- Horizon Hobby, Inc., (Horizon) warranties that the Products purchased (the "Product") will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase by the Purchaser.
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...H#quickSupport
Mike Sloan is offline Find More Posts by Mike Sloan