HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.52%
DW SKUA 28 4.83%
DW 38" kit 173 29.83%
DW 48" kit 153 26.38%
DW 55" kit 70 12.07%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.55%
Never owned one 207 35.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:27 AM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,950 Posts
Correction on the motor, it's a Sonic Electric not subsonic. Just thought I'd straighten that out as subsonic has the Motrolfly motors which are top quality motors.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:05 AM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I really gotta try some of those GA batteries!
If you havent already, check out the Sky Lipos as well. I'm rocking the 1000mah 40C ones on my DW, and they're great!! Sky Lipos are all I've bought recently and I'm loving them big time.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:39 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2002
822 Posts
What Hacker motor would you guys recommend for the 40"er's? Looking to set one up after flying FlopGun's last weekend!

Thanks,

Kody
kody'd'punk is offline Find More Posts by kody'd'punk
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kody'd'punk View Post
What Hacker motor would you guys recommend for the 40"er's? Looking to set one up after flying FlopGun's last weekend!

Thanks,

Kody
Probably the A20-20l. Right around 200W and recommended prop is 10x4.7.

Also check out the new Cobra motors, I have one on my DW, was recommended to me after the Scorpion I ordered wasn't coming anytime soon. So far I'm loving it. I'll probably get some more of them as I need more motors.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:39 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
If you havent already, check out the Sky Lipos as well. I'm rocking the 1000mah 40C ones on my DW, and they're great!! Sky Lipos are all I've bought recently and I'm loving them big time.

Blue and I will give 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 to the Sky's from HP!

I'm up to a dozen now & they're great!!!
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Probably the A20-20l. Right around 200W and recommended prop is 10x4.7.

Also check out the new Cobra motors, I have one on my DW, was recommended to me after the Scorpion I ordered wasn't coming anytime soon. So far I'm loving it. I'll probably get some more of them as I need more motors.

Is Mike selling Cobra now? I just checked the DW website & didn't find anything...anybody got a link?...thx
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Is Mike selling Cobra now? I just checked the DW website & didn't find anything...anybody got a link?...thx
Innov8tive designs has them and a few other vednors as well. I ordered a Scorpion from Dan at Gobrushless a while back to replace the el-cheapo chinese one I had on my DW. After a few weeks of not getting it and waiting on Scorpions to come, they never did and he recommended the Cobra that Lucien at Innov8tive was going to be getting. Not sure if Scorpion ever got it going, but I know they weren't delivering motors for a while.

This is the one I have: http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=817

I'm happy with the Cobra so far.

I've tried a bunch of props, but ultimately have settled on 10x5E. Getting about 250W @ 22A - plenty 'o power!!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Anyone know how soon the 9mm 40" planes will be on the site?
The 9mm 40" versions are available now. It's my understanding that all the 40" from now on will have 9mm fuse. The 38" kits will be all 6 mm.

Mike is tweaking the web site now so that you specifiy depron or epp/depron fusion when you checkout.

Kody, I think you want something bigger than the 20/20l. That motor is good on the 38" kits.

For the 40" kits like the one you flew I might try the A20-12XL. The main thing is for big power you want something up around 80 grams 1000kv.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Innov8tive designs has them and a few other vednors as well. I ordered a Scorpion from Dan at Gobrushless a while back to replace the el-cheapo chinese one I had on my DW. After a few weeks of not getting it and waiting on Scorpions to come, they never did and he recommended the Cobra that Lucien at Innov8tive was going to be getting. Not sure if Scorpion ever got it going, but I know they weren't delivering motors for a while.

This is the one I have: http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=817

I'm happy with the Cobra so far.

I've tried a bunch of props, but ultimately have settled on 10x5E. Getting about 250W @ 22A - plenty 'o power!!

Cool, bro, thx.

3 q's....have you tried Mike's stock dynamo motor to compare to the cobra...what esc you runnin...and what batts (mah)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
The 9mm 40" versions are available now. It's my understanding that all the 40" from now on will have 9mm fuse. The 38" kits will be all 6 mm.

Mike is tweaking the web site now so that you specifiy depron or epp/depron fusion when you checkout.

Kody, I think you want something bigger than the 20/20l. That motor is good on the 38" kits.

For the 40" kits like the one you flew I might try the A20-12XL. The main thing is for big power you want something up around 80 grams 1000kv.

I did talk to Mike last night & understood him to say that the 9mm 40" all-depron isn't f/s yet...?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Cool, bro, thx.

3 q's....have you tried Mike's stock dynamo motor to compare to the cobra...what esc you runnin...and what batts (mah)
I haven't used his Dynamo motor. I've heard nothing but great things about it. I originally wanted a scorpion because I just love those motors and their quality. So I only ended up with the cobra by accident. I wouldn't hesitate to use the dynamo though.

I'm using a 30A Turnigy Plush ESC; 3S 1000mAh 40C sky lipos. Its a great set up for me - I'm' very happy with it.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hey guys, keep your eyes open for a new build thread here soon. I hope it turns out real cool. I may also do an extra thread on how to paint. still havn't decided to do the 2nd thread or not, also guys we have a new event coming up here in the southeast. i know many of you know of triple tree and Joe Nall, well they are having their first all out electric event called Eweek. it will be next weeked. i think its the 29th thru Oct 2nd. it look to be big!! so if your around this area pack up all your electrics (of any kind) and come onout it's only $20 pilot fee!!!
like i said guys keep a look out for a new build thread. i'm going to be building the 40" Extra 300L, it's one of the first ones with the new 9mm fuse, so i'm super excited!! i plan to do a cool color scheme, so i hope it turns out great!!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Last edited by madmikeyreturns; Sep 23, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:45 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeyreturns View Post
Hey guys, keep your eyes open for a new build thread here soon. talked to Mike last night and he's sending me something special, so keep your eyes pealed!!!

Mikey
Awesome! Looking forward to a surprise!
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:01 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Cool, bro, thx.

Not a direct answer but....I have had Scorpions in my DW's, and then removed them and installed the recomended Dynamo by MIke.

The result was a motor that perform as good as the Scorpion but at a lower cost. With that said IMHO the Scorpion is a higher quality motor compared to the Dynamo.

Conclusion, they both perform great, it's your choice on the level of quality in the motor construction.

Mike R
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Out of pure ignorance, how do the Dynamo and Scorpion motors compare to, say, the equivalent eFlite motors? I always think of those as "average performance/decent reliability" motors, but I don't have any kind of perspective on the others.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710