New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2015, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by Ginantonicus
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Question
"Windy day"/ 3rd plane

I have been flying for a bit over two months now. I have been flying the Champ and more recently a Um t-28. Now I am after a plane that is capable of flying in the wind. Out here average wind speed is 20 mph and turbulent so I am aiming at getting something that can fly in 15+ mph wind. My issue is Flying wings, Deltas and "Glider" styles of planes don't "do it" for me. At some stage I would like to get a umx beast but I'm thinking that's not the best idea for wind and I already have two micros. I have a dx6i. Budget would be around $160. Must be able to hand launch/ belly land. More Importantly it has to be fun to fly.
Ginantonicus is offline Find More Posts by Ginantonicus
Last edited by Ginantonicus; Jun 20, 2015 at 06:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by Sarge707
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
336 Posts
FMS Easy Trainer 1280 BUT only with a 3S 1100mah lipo! Flew Great today in 12-15 MpH wind and Is very Good at aerobics! With a 2S 1300mah battery it barely got up into the wind but did soar once up there.
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Jun 20, 2015, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,089 Posts
IMHO the keys to flying in wind are : pilot skill , low drag airframe and high thrust motor/prop/battery .

Probably a pylon racer type plane would work for you . Something like this :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

or this :

balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jun 20, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,191 Posts
The bigger planes they say do better i have seen the faster planes do better but when you fly where you are can help. Sunrise or sunset where the heat from streets or roofs or a black road not near by no large buildings near by big line of tree's. This cuts down on down or up sudden winds. You can adjust for strong wind if there are no quick change's. I like flying a plane with no landing gear over tail grass when its windy for a quick soft landing. No cross wind landing's. A plane with safe and a save button can also help with over control.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Grass Take Off And Landing
Old Jun 21, 2015, 05:49 AM
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
IMHO the keys to flying in wind are : pilot skill , low drag airframe and high thrust motor/prop/battery .

Probably a pylon racer type plane would work for you . Something like this :

or this :

Really like the rare bear. However I don't think my skill level is up to a 100+mph plane yet. I'm landing in paddocks on the farm and every now and then the grass can be a bit clumpy and the plane comes to a rather abrupt stop when landing. I'm not sure what kind of area you need to land but my landing area is 50yards with 1 yardish high fences either side.
Last edited by Ginantonicus; Jun 21, 2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:23 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,489 Posts
The little Beast and Pitts WILL handle some good wind. I fly them both in wind that a 40 sized sport plane would handle.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by John Sargent
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
1,600 Posts
How large is the area that you fly in? Generally, the larger the plane the better it will handle the wind. When I have large areas, planes as large as the Apprentice S fly nice in winds that are 15-20
If you like low sporty planes, try a stik or a mini ultra stick
John Sargent is online now Find More Posts by John Sargent
Old Jun 21, 2015, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginantonicus View Post
Really like the rare bear. However I don't think my skill level is up to a 100+mph plane yet. I'm landing in paddocks on the farm and every now and then the grass can be a bit clumpy and the plane comes to a rather abrupt stop when landing. I'm not sure what kind of area you need to land but my landing area is 50yards with 1 yardish high fences either side.
The Rare Bear is CAPABLE of 100MPH with a 4S battery , but that doesn't mean you HAVE to fly it 100 MPH . You could cruise around at 30 MPH , and it will penetrate wind well because it is aerodynamically clean and has plenty of power .

And if you land INTO the wind , you can land at a slower speed .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadwight View Post
The bigger planes they say do better i have seen the faster planes do better but when you fly where you are can help. Sunrise or sunset where the heat from streets or roofs or a black road not near by no large buildings near by big line of tree's. This cuts down on down or up sudden winds. You can adjust for strong wind if there are no quick change's. I like flying a plane with no landing gear over tail grass when its windy for a quick soft landing. No cross wind landing's. A plane with safe and a save button can also help with over control.
Just flew that Corsair you pictured in 15MPH winds. I completely cut throttle 100 feet up at 300 feet distance. The plane floats in and lands vertically.

Calm days are now more challenging, haven't quite yet figured out minimal landing speed w/o stalling.
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Old Jun 21, 2015, 07:14 PM
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent View Post
How large is the area that you fly in? Generally, the larger the plane the better it will handle the wind. When I have large areas, planes as large as the Apprentice S fly nice in winds that are 15-20
If you like low sporty planes, try a stik or a mini ultra stick
The paddock I'm flying in at the moment has two sides with trees but the other two sides are open for about 1 mile.

Quote:
Calm days are now more challenging, haven't quite yet figured out minimal landing speed w/o stalling
I think that will be my issues the grass can be clumpy and the plane can tend to stop suddenly on occasion, so a plane with a slow approach speed would be good.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
801 Posts
The Bear is not a plane for a beginner.

If you want a plane to fly in higher winds, you need to abandon the 1S models and move up to something that uses a bigger battery. But as a beginner, you want planes that can still fly slow and ideally, planes that are light and survivable in a crash.

Both the UMX Beast and Pitts S1 use a 2S. They can both fly fast and with AS3X easily handling strong/gusty winds. And being small, they have less "inertia" and are less likely to be severely damaged in an (inevitable) crash. The Pitts is actually quite a bit more robust than the Beast.

Next up from that, I'd recommend the Viking. It uses a 3S, but is still a small/light plane and the AS3X works great. It'll fly in about the same space as the Beast/Pitts need (I fly all of these in the tree-lined street in front of my house).

At the flying field, these planes are actually my go-to models when it's really windy. I have some much larger and faster airplanes, some even with AS3X, but they're much less "survivable" than the littler models. These little planes will easily fly in winds where I'd be uncomfortable airing out something like my Carbon Z Cub (even though it also has AS3X).
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:22 AM
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Winds today where 19mph with gust up to 25mph so I decided to fly the um t 28 to see if it was possible. It was. So that got me thinking do I need to go for a windy day plane or just the nest step up from the UM T-28?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 03:27 AM
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
Winds today where 19mph with gust up to 25mph so I decided to fly the um t 28 to see if it was possible. It was. So that got me thinking do I need to go for a windy day plane or just the nest step up from the UM T-28?

Quote:
If you want a plane to fly in higher winds, you need to abandon the 1S models and move up to something that uses a bigger battery. But as a beginner, you want planes that can still fly slow and ideally, planes that are light and survivable in a crash.
Theoretically you could throw a 2s battery in 3s model. Using the funfighter models as an example they ask for either a 3s or 4s or would putting a 2s in them a bad idea?

grrr double post
Old Jun 22, 2015, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
801 Posts
Theory and practice often diverge. But yes, in theory. You would probably need to rebalance the model, since a 2S would weigh less. But why bother? It's not how much throttle you have, but how fast it makes the airplane fly. The Bear would be a bad choice because it has a lot of speed. Something like the Viking or Pitts fly fast for their size, but they still fly substantially slower than something like the Bear. Just fly with the recommended battery and use less throttle. The Viking and Pitts will both slow down and fly with less then 1/2 throttle once airborne... in fact, the Viking is made for 3D and will fly very slowly indeed.
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Jun 22, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Rentaroo
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2015
17 Posts
I agree with everyone who recommends the Pitts S-1S. It's a small plane, though it flys very well in windy conditions. The Pitts was my second plane (first was Sport Cub S2) and I'm very happy.
Rentaroo is offline Find More Posts by Rentaroo