New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2015, 03:51 AM
VSO
Find More Posts by VSO
VSO
Joined Aug 2015
3 Posts
Help!
Help! Rope pulling system, Servo/stepper?

I'm working on a project and need help with the setup.

I need to radio controll a servo (or stepper motor?), for pulling a rope, about 50cm ... so some kind of winding it up on a spool.

When i give any input on my radio it will have to go proportionally with the gain i gives.. when i put the stick back in neutral position the motor has to go back/unwind the rope to it original position.

need's to be some size on this, motor need to be able to pull minimum 10kg
VSO is offline Find More Posts by VSO
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2015, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
15,429 Posts
A model boat sail winch servo ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...FUdWGgodM-8NWA
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 13, 2015, 07:56 AM
VSO
Find More Posts by VSO
VSO
Joined Aug 2015
3 Posts
Yeah, well .. something like that could work, but as i said i need it to be quite big.. need to pull +50cm with 3mm rope, so i need a big drum .. is a servo or a programmed stepper the best option..

if servos, where can i get so big servos witch complies with the requirements I have
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:39 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
15,429 Posts
For bigger than normal RC servos, a sail boat supplier should have powered sail winches --

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...+winch&imgrc=_

RC servos are generally rated in Kg/cm for torque, you may find a large RC one.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:08 AM
VSO
Find More Posts by VSO
VSO
Joined Aug 2015
3 Posts
Yeah, i think i found some.. Link

But when it comes to the controlling of this?... as i said in the first post: When i give any input on my radio it will have to go proportionally with the gain i give.. when i put the stick back in neutral position the motor has to go back/unwind the rope to it original position.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:27 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
15,429 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea if sail winches come with full proportional, (follow the stick), control, like a standard servo.

If a sail winch servo is the right sort of device, perhaps a question in the Sailboat forum is best --

http://www.rcgroups.com/sailboats-59/
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by jkettu
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Sorry, I have no idea if sail winches come with full proportional, (follow the stick), control, like a standard servo.
Yes, it does. The only difference to a standard servo is bigger size and lower gear ratio to allow multiple turns of the drum.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by mjsas
Joined Nov 2007
972 Posts
Most new cars use a winch and cable system to operate the power windows. These things are crap and get replaced quite often. They are pretty cheap on Ebay (search for 'power window motor'), any repair shop will have some broken ones in the scrap pile. You will have to design a system with limit switches and relays to control the motor.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by jkettu
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsas View Post
...You will have to design a system with limit switches and relays to control the motor.
But he wants a proportional winch.

If I went this route, I'd put a feedback pot (with pulley and reduction gear) somewhere along the cable, then use standard servo electronics for control. A H-bridge would be needed between servo controller and motor to provide enough current.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSO View Post
I'm working on a project and need help with the setup.

I need to radio controll a servo (or stepper motor?), for pulling a rope, about 50cm ... so some kind of winding it up on a spool.

When i give any input on my radio it will have to go proportionally with the gain i gives.. when i put the stick back in neutral position the motor has to go back/unwind the rope to it original position.

need's to be some size on this, motor need to be able to pull minimum 10kg
These things are really expensive. But perhaps you can find one that will do what you need.

https://www.servocity.com/html/spg80..._rotation.html
vollrathd is offline Find More Posts by vollrathd