New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by beginner4life
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,210 Posts
Discussion
Predictions/Advice?

Tomorrow I will maiden a 48" Zagi style wing I bought from a user on here years ago. I equipped it with an Ammo 28-45-3600 on a 6x4 APC, and I know it is probably way too hot for this type of setup but thats part of the fun. Using a hobbyking 40A esc and a 3s 1800. No idea how it will fly, what do you guys think?

COG recommendations welcome
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by DT56
Joined Aug 2005
2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life View Post
Tomorrow I will maiden a 48" Zagi style wing I bought from a user on here years ago. I equipped it with an Ammo 28-45-3600 on a 6x4 APC, and I know it is probably way too hot for this type of setup but thats part of the fun. Using a hobbyking 40A esc and a 3s 1800. No idea how it will fly, what do you guys think?

COG recommendations welcome
I'd check the location with the calculator in the first thread of this forum.

Good Luck!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:27 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,210 Posts
Will do, thanks
Old Jun 17, 2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,922 Posts
Don't fly near any glass windows because that thing will scream like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs! Shattering windows in your neighborhood gets expensive. Stagger razor blades half an inch apart along the leading edge and launch very carefully. (little Tic reference there....) And don't forget to HAVE FUN!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jun 18, 2015, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,210 Posts
Wow, this setup was AWESOME! Ridiculous power but the ESC blew (I think) after about a minute and a half. Would i still have servo control if the ESC blew? Because I went about 3/4 throttle for a 5-6 seconds and then all the sudden the motor stopped and I had to bring it in engineless. ESC no longer arms so I assume it was that, especially since I was pulling 60+ amps on what I believe is a 40a esc.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2009
13,000 Posts
You can certainly blow motor FETs without harming the BEC (servo power), but that's a luck-of-the-draw type thing and you could have just as easily lost control as well as power. I'm far from the "safety scissors/rubber bumpers" type, but I gotta be blunt when I say it's irresponsible and silly to fly a model like that. Live and learn.

Also be aware that you're absolutely flogging the motor running that big of a prop on three cells. Even a 4.5x4.1 would be pushing it. When (not if) the motor fries in flight, it can easily take a brand-new ESC with it.... and along that vein, you might want to use caution running the motor again because it may already be damaged.

I don't mean to sound like a professional parade-rainer, but... you DID ask for predictions and advice Don't worry - there are plenty of ways to enjoy that kind of power without beating the crap out of your components. A bigger ESC is a trivial weight gain, and much more capable motors are available. It does cost some money, though (unless you want to rewind motors yourself for more power, in which case a dirt-cheap outrunner will do fine).
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 29, 2015, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
2,339 Posts
If you're pulling 60 Amps from a 40A ESC what did you expect to happen? Those ratings aren't on there for decoration. You'll want at least an 80A ESC if the draw is 60A. The ratings aren't exaggerated to the degree of LiPo C values but you still want to leave some overhead.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by elecfryer
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
987 Posts
Not to mention, how many watts was the motor "pulling in" and what is it rated for? A larger ESC may just make it easier to fry the motor!
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Jul 05, 2015, 09:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,210 Posts
Swapped my setup out for a 60a esc and a turnigy 28-36 3000kv we'll see how that goes
Old Jul 09, 2015, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
2,339 Posts
Use a wattmeter to measure the actual draw, and adjust the prop size as needed to keep the max draw under what the motor and ESC are rated for. Don't just guess, that gets expensive, especially if you have a catastrophic failure in the air and you lose your plane.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S