SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2015, 05:41 AM
Find More Posts by MICROACES
Joined Sep 2012
475 Posts
Discussion
Sad News - Microaces is closing down

It's with much regret and sadness that Simon & I have decided to bring Microaces to a close.

We've seen a sharp decline in interest in our kits during 2014 and this year and one of our very important R&D projects to overcome this sales drop-off had to be halted due to a collapse of component supply chain.

We feel we have done all we can to try and keep going but there is only so long you can do that both financially and mentally and we have reached that point now.

We wanted to thank everyone on RCGroups for their support, help, feedback and kind words.

Even though it hasn't come to what we'd hoped, Microaces has been a fantastic experience for me personally & I have met some fantastic characters within the hobby and had an absolute blast designing and testing kits.

Thank you to everone who has bought a kit, signed up to our newsletter, commented or read our threads here on RC Groups and other forums.

I certainly won't be turning my back on the hobby and will still continue to design & build, allbeit as a hobby rather than a job.

Thanks all

Jon

PS - We have a number of kits, spares & accessories on sale. Just go straight to the Microaces website to see what's left!
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Last edited by MICROACES; Apr 07, 2015 at 07:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,607 Posts
WOW! I'm so sorry to hear you go as your kits are nice and well designed. I am thankful I got the Cessna 195 kit from you. Will build it and treasure it. Thanks. How long can people order from you and will you just have what is in stock and run it out?
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Apr 07, 2015, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by Skacee
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Sorry to hear that! Even I would do some things in different way I like the idea and really nice models. Thanks Jon and Simon for the oportunity for good builds!
Skacee is offline Find More Posts by Skacee
Old Apr 07, 2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by jingjingjing
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
701 Posts
That is a really sad news. I hope you can find a way to keep producing your kits in small quantity for dedicated fans. Any manufacturers would understand your situation. I try to think my jingmodels.com as a hobby. I am keeping it for my own amusement and a few dedicated supporters. It certainly is not a money maker and rewarding in any economical sense. I don't think I am cheering you up or giving you a constructive comments but I don't want to paint a fake rosy picture of current situation.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Apr 07, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,447 Posts
Jon, Simon,

Sorry to hear it did not work out. I thinks it's obvious to all that you put a lot of effort into this. However it is not easy to make a living from this hobby (I have some experience with that!).

I'm about to start a kit making business but it will not be my only source of income. With so many RTF models on the market it is hard to make money from kits.

I wish you all the best in the future.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Apr 07, 2015, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by angelix
United Kingdom, Windsor and Maidenhead
Joined Mar 2013
200 Posts
Microaces brought me back to the hobby after 35 years from being away; somehow Jon and Simon managed to light back my love for RC planes, building and designing.

Their kits and the way they were presented got me closer to the Historical side of the Hobby, it got me interested in what was behind the war planes, in particular the ones of the WWII "era".

I got 3 of their kits, the BF109, the Spit and the Cessna "floater", I will miss the Hurricane which I was really looking forward to get...

I do whish the best for Jon & Simon.
angelix is offline Find More Posts by angelix
Old Apr 07, 2015, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by Skacee
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Thumbs up to keep it as a small bussines producing your kits in small quantity for dedicated fans.
Skacee is offline Find More Posts by Skacee
Old Apr 07, 2015, 11:52 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,607 Posts
Totally agree with your statement Skacee, hope they kept the e mails address of their customers so we can still get some kits in the future. Always willing to support the little guy as they some times come out with better quality and different RC planes than the big factory guys.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by MICROACES
Joined Sep 2012
475 Posts
Thanks everso much for your kind words everyone.

It is indeed sad to have to finish this dream. We had some exciting stuff for this year including twin engine aircraft. The B-25 artwork was almost complete and the Bf110 development airframe had just been started but sales have been so low that even with the money from the printing we do for local companies using our UV printer, we couldnt keep our heads above water.

However, I'm still going to keep developing and designing in my spare time and who knows, with a bit of lateral thinking we may be able to do something in the future.

Jon
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Old Apr 08, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by C-ME-FLY
Wilmington NC
Joined Aug 2010
273 Posts
Good luck, MicroAces. I hate to seeing another hobby entraupanuer head under water. Good luck and keep em flying
C-ME-FLY is offline Find More Posts by C-ME-FLY
Old Apr 08, 2015, 10:29 AM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,607 Posts
What a neat idea a micro, Bf 110 looks awesome would make a nice kit too. Well you have our e mail so if you still can make a few kits I would be one to buy one. What would the electrics be for it ? would the UM Mosquito be a good candidate? or some 10 gr brushless.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by 356Jim
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,384 Posts
The public is always fickle. I remember when I was furiously involved in slope soaring, being blessed with a site just a couple of miles from my home. I was able to go in to work early and then leave early, so I was the first one on the slope. Suddenly, half of the town decided that this was an activity they all really needed. In not much more than a year, they all disappeared, the club folded and it was peace once again.

We've also seen this phenomena lately with indoor micro.

Nothing stays constant.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Apr 08, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Pouncer
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
993 Posts
I'm genuinely sad to hear this.
It seems so underserved, you have an impressive line-up of well crafted and original products, you listen to your customers and advertise in all relevant medias.
Even if the potential market is microscopic in the grand scheme of things, in this globalized world you should've had customers lining up on your door step?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Apr 09, 2015, 05:13 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICROACES View Post
It's with much regret and sadness that Simon & I have decided to bring Microaces to a close......
It's a great pity but with the entire hobby having been dumbed down with naff ARTFs and even more by still naffer foamies what can you expect?

90% of us are just 'consumers' now who ask "How do I make a bigger hole in my propeller?" (ask your mother). Yes, it was on here

A shame, best wishes for the future.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 09, 2015, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
567 Posts
Sad news. We were checking out one of your kits during morning tea at our indoor meeting recently. Everyone was impressed with the clever design and quality. The artwork is so innovative and realistic in stand-off. Don't know whether John will ever put the kit together now. It might become valuable on Antiques Roadshow one day given the unfortunate circumstances... Good luck with future endeavours.
Peter Mack is online now Find More Posts by Peter Mack