Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
Discussion
Inexpensive electronics that work?

I'm looking to build a design of mine, it's a twin rotor VTOL.

I am looking for people's experiences with inexpensive programmable radios and controller boards. I'm also looking for accelerometer sensors to use.

My drone has feet so it can land on trees and also my forearm, mostly a gimmick but I don't have a lot of money and would like to do this relatively inexpensive.

Like $300.00 tops not sure if that is possible.

It doesn't have to be big, in fact I intend to do it mostly in my room since there is snow outside.

I'd just like any information relevant that you care to share, otherwise I will find out for myself.
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2015, 06:04 AM
Find More Posts by Zagadka
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
136 Posts
Hi Greenace,

Check out the Openaero Vtol thread at the top of the first page.

Happysundays has kindly made this firmware free, the KK2 board it runs on is really cheap (Less than $30?) and it'll do most everything you need. I'm using an inexpensive Turnigy 9xr TX on which I love the flexibility of programming, but with Openaero Vtol you don't really need any of it.

The KK2 has 3 gyro's , 3 accelerometers, 5 inputs (in 'standard' PWM mode) and eight outputs and with this firmware you can patch/mix almost anything to anything else and it'll calculate smooth transitions between different flight regimes for you. Awesome.
(Thanks Happy!)

Kev
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Old Feb 02, 2015, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by Brandano
Joined Oct 2004
3,178 Posts
And I believe it has been used in a NASA drone
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Feb 03, 2015, 04:32 AM
Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagadka View Post
Hi Greenace,

Check out the Openaero Vtol thread at the top of the first page.

Happysundays has kindly made this firmware free, the KK2 board it runs on is really cheap (Less than $30?) and it'll do most everything you need. I'm using an inexpensive Turnigy 9xr TX on which I love the flexibility of programming, but with Openaero Vtol you don't really need any of it.

The KK2 has 3 gyro's , 3 accelerometers, 5 inputs (in 'standard' PWM mode) and eight outputs and with this firmware you can patch/mix almost anything to anything else and it'll calculate smooth transitions between different flight regimes for you. Awesome.
(Thanks Happy!)

Kev
Thanks for your response, very information. Ideally I don't prefer cheap, quality pays off in the long run, but for prototyping and getting a basic grasp it wouldn't be bad, unfortunately I blew some money Fleetwood Mac concert hehe and drinking... eh not my thing

Anyway, focusing on software at the moment not in a state / location to facilitate the RC / Drone hobby. One day.

I'll keep your post in mind, I created a parser to store stuff for me to look into again later.

So your response is going in there.

Thanks again for your time.
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2